The BOXING Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Joey

Cum On Everybody
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Yeah, definitely. He could really go far if he plays his cards right.

I also really like Jose Benavidez, since we're on the topic of prospects.

Yeh Benavidez looks like a class act, just a shame he's in a really stacked division at the moment. There's 10-15 quality fights at light welterweight. Benavidez is fighting this weekend also, coincidental or did you know that?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

dkwrtw

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BOXING! YOU AINT SHIT!!! That was the greatest thing I've ever seen. I wish that asshole Larry Merchant would just give Floyd his FAIR SHAKE.

Joey

Cum On Everybody
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I dont like Floyd personally, I'm one of the many people that want to see him get KO'd. But I do agree Larry Merchant is awful and should have been fired along time ago. I sure hope Mayweather fights Khan next :D would be amazing if they had the fight here in England but cant see it sadly.

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
Wow! :clap

Man wrongly convicted of murder makes boxing debut

_56084535_deweyfights.jpg President Obama rang Bozella (left) last week to wish him luck

A man who spent 26 years in jail for a murder he did not commit has fulfilled his dream by making his professional boxing debut and winning.
Dewey Bozella, now 52, became a prison boxing champion while in New York state's Sing Sing jail.
He was freed in 2009 after his conviction for the the murder of 92-year-old Emma Crapser was overturned.
"I used to lay in my cell and dream about this happening...It was my dream come true," he said after the fight.
Bozella made his debut on the undercard of a world title fight between world light heavyweight champion Bernard Hopkins and Chad Dawson in Los Angeles.
“Start Quote

I'd like to see kids who are on the street have something productive to do. No more fighting for me”
Dewey Bozella
On Thursday President Barack Obama called to wish him luck in his fight with 30-year-old Larry Hopkins, no relation to the champion.
In 1983 Bozella was sentenced to 20 years to life for the murder.
While inside he not only honed his skills as a boxer but also earned two college degrees.
His case was finally taken up by two young New York lawyers, who discovered evidence that several witnesses had lied at his original trial and another man had confessed to the murder.
After being released Bozella said he dreamed of getting the chance to fight just one time as a professional boxer.
Golden Boy Promotions, run by former champion Oscar De La Hoya, agreed to put his bout with Hopkins on the undercard at the 20,000 capacity Staples Center.
_56084444_bozellaap.jpg Bozella says he plans to go back to his home town and set up a boxing gym
When the judges announced he had won a unanimous decision the crowd stood and cheered.
Bozella plans to head back to the town of Newburgh, 60 miles (90km) from New York, and set up a boxing gym.
"I'd like to see kids who are on the street have something productive to do. No more fighting for me," he said.
In the main event Hopkins, himself no spring chicken at 46, lost his title after injuring his shoulder in the second round.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15325092

dkwrtw

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
Worst call EVER last night. And yeah I heard about that old man the other day, he won his fight by I think UD last night, at least something good was allowed to happen in that night of FUCKERY.

dkwrtw

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
Oh and Kimbo Slice won his 2nd pro fight last night by brutal KO. Kimbo looks way out of shape though, soon as they make him face a real fighter he's done for.

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
Burns!!!

[h=1]Ricky Burns beats Michael Katsidis in WBO thriller[/h] Page last updated at 23:32 GMT, Saturday, 5 November 2011

By Keir Murray
BBC Scotland _56504637_burns_katsidis3.jpg Calm Burns withstood everything the Australian Katsidis threw at him Ricky Burns produced a disciplined and courageous performance at Wembley Arena to defeat Michael Katsidis on points to win the WBO interim lightweight title.
The 28-year-old Scot in his first fight at lightweight was the underdog against the aggressive Australian but took the bout 117-112, 117-111, 117-111.
The squat Queensland fighter, three years older than Burns, threw more punches and tried to subdue his foe.
But the Coatbridge boxer used his jab superbly to create attacks of his own.
It means Burns' record now stands at 33 wins and two losses, having moved to the 9st 9lb lightweight division after an impressive stint as WBO world champion at super-featherweight.
There were fears that Burns' taller, thinner frame - even at the 135lb mark - might be exposed to the crunching left and right body shots from Katsidis, an unrefined, old-fashioned warrior of a fighter, who trains in Thailand in the run-up to his bouts.
_56504754_katsidis1.jpg Katsidis hammers into Burns' body on the ropes And in the opening exchanges Burns' fans may have grimaced as the older boxer tore into the Scot.
To his credit, and with trainer Billy Nelson's words ringing in his ears, he flicked out his jab to keep Katsidis at bay.
And when, inevitably, Katsidis pinned Burns on the ropes, he managed to grit his teeth, cover up and not allow the Australian the boost of seeing that he had been hurt.
But it would be too simplistic to suggest that Burns' victory was purely down to his superior boxing technique.
When required, he went toe to toe with Katsidis and stung him with straight lefts and left hook combinations to the body and head.
Burns moved swiftly ahead in the bout but Katsidis surely won the fifth round when his appetite to inflict pain on the Scot was matched by precision.
Katsidis began to weary, though, his attacks petering out after an initial flurry, and there was the suspicion that the experienced campaigner knew that he was neither going to intimidate Burns, nor knock him out.
_56504749_burns_team1.jpg Burns' next fight is likely to be in Glasgow, says promter Frank Warren The Coatbridge boxer was clear-headed throughout the contest, key to knowing when to mix it up, when to pick off the Queensland favourite and when to skip out of range and let his jab halt Katsidis's bull-like charges.
Although Katsidis, who had previously tasted success in London when beating Graham Earl and Kevin Mitchell, had the greater work-rate, the judges voted unanimously in Burns' favour, rewarding him for his cleaner, more efficient style.
Having subdued the early danger, Burns' performance, especially in the final two rounds, suggests his future in the lightweight division could be one filled with further glory.
Burns' promoter, Frank Warren, has indicated that his next bout will be in Glasgow.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/boxing/15609565.stm

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
Next up for Rick Burns, my mate Kevin Mitchell!

Kevin Mitchell eyes Burns scrap

mitch1_1407173a.jpg
MAN ON A MISSION ... Kevin Mitchell wants to face Ricky Burns before cleaning up the lightweight division

KEVIN MITCHELL is determined to teach Ricky Burns a lesson as he looks to bounce back with a bang in the New Year.

Mitchell has endured a frustrating time on the sidelines since ending John Murray's undefeated streak with an eighth-round stoppage in July.
He openly admits mistakes away from the ring have cost him dearly but is desperate to return to action and silence his doubters once and for all.
Mitchell told SunSport: "If I'm honest, it's been a bit gutting rather than frustrating. Boxing's my life, it's my career and I've always loved it.
"I'm heading towards the latter part of my career now and it's been a bit stop-start at a time when I really should be world champion.
"I've heard whispers that I'll be back in action early in the New Year and I'm hoping it's going to be against Burns."

mitch3_1407178a.jpg
PAST AND PRESENT ... Mitchell has already faced Katsidis and now he wants Burns

Mitchell, 27, admits he previously agreed to a showdown with Burns after being offered the fight by promoter Frank Warren.
The bout did not materialise but the West Ham fan is keen to keen hold clear-the-air talks with Warren and finally make it a reality.
He added: "I was asked if I wanted the Burns fight before and, as you'd expect, I said yes. However, a few days later I was told the fight couldn't be made.
"I wouldn't say there's tension there between me and Frank but it's fair to say a few things are going on.
"He's not happy with me on his behalf and I'm not happy with him on my behalf.
"But I should be having a meeting with him soon where we'll put our cards on the table and get everything out in the open.
"The one thing I am sure of is that I'll be staying with Frank, 100 per cent."
During his time out of action, Mitchell has been an interested spectator as Burns and former victim Murray have secured high-profile clashes.
Burns came through his lightweight debut by defeating Michael Katsidis on points to claim the interim WBO title, while Murray is due to face Brandon Rios for the WBA crown in New York next month.
The irony is not lost on Mitchell that Scot Burns defeated the man who inflicted the only blemish on his career, or that Murray has effectively leapfrogged him to earn a shot at a world champion.
But he is adamant there will be no doubt who Britain's top lightweight is the next time he laces up the gloves.
Mitchell said: "Take nothing away from Burns, I thought he was brilliant. He did exactly what I should have done when I faced Katsidis.
"It was a textbook performance and I always fancied him to win on points. I said he'd be in for a hard night's work but he did exactly what I said he would before the fight.
"To be fair though, I'd just be too much for him. Look at how I boxed against Murray — he won't be able to handle that.

mitch4_1407180a.jpg
REDEMPTION ... Mitchell produced the goods in a thrilling encounter with Murray

"I've sparred with Burns. I got the best of him on the first day and he had the second because I wasn't fit enough at the time.
"He's a good kid but I've just got too much variety for him. I punch hard, I've got quick hands and good movement.
"I've got a great engine as well and I've proven that the stamina's there to go 12 rounds.
"As for Murray, he's a good kid but Bam Bam Rios is just a stronger version of him.
"Murray's not a big puncher and doesn't overextend with his shots, he keeps himself tidy. Bam Bam, on the other hand, stretches in with his punches and leaves himself exposed.
"He can definitely win the title, but it depends how he comes back from the defeat to me. I gave him a beating and it takes a lot out of a fighter.
"I hope it hasn't done that to Murray because he's a good lad and a nice man, plus I really want him to win as Bam Bam's got too much to say for himself."
After his shock three-round defeat to Aussie bruiser Katsidis in May 2010, it emerged that Mitchell had struggled to keep his focus due to personal problems.
He admits he should have walked away from the fight rather than risk his unbeaten record and reputation, but put his heart and soul into achieving redemption against Murray.

mitch5_1407181a.jpg
NIGHT TO FORGET ... Katsidis celebrates as Mitchell salutes his conquerer

The Hammer said: "You know what, all of the hard work for Murray was done in training. For those big fights, I batter myself black and blue to make sure I'm ready.
"All the big names do the same and from now on you'll never see my slip up like I did against Katsidis.
"At the time, I had things going on in my life that I'd never had before and will never have again. It was a little bit of inexperience on my part as I shouldn't have let the fight go ahead.
"I wasn't fit for the fight but it's been the only hiccup in my entire career.
"You look at the fights I've taken on and I've never ducked a challenge. I had time out with a hand injury yet I came back to bash Breidis Prescott, who had demolished Amir Khan.
"No one in the world wanted to face him at lightweight but I came back and gave him a boxing lesson. Your John Murrays and Ricky Burns didn't want it, but I was offered Prescott and 'boom' I took it.

"I was injured after that fight, I got double vision from it, but it healed up and I took on Ignacio Mendoza and destroyed him inside two rounds.
"I had a lot of problems in my life in the build-up to the Katsidis fight for the interim WBO world title and to be fair I overlooked too many things.
"I was just trying to get through it and be a man about everything by not pulling out.
"But looking back at the situation now, I realise I was just being an inexperienced kid about it and should have pulled out.
"I got beat and yet I jumped straight back in there for the fight with Murray after being out for over a year.
"Murray was the European champion but I went out there and destroyed him too.
"At the end of the day, no one should be overlooking or playing down my achievements."
Aside from a burning desire to defeat Burns, Mitchell has his sights set on a busy few years.
He wants to dominate the lightweight division, then move up a weight and conquer the United States before enjoying a triumphant end to his career on British soil.
Mitchell added: "I'll take on anyone at the moment. I want to win the lightweight title, defend it a few times and then go up to light-welterweight.
"I want the big names and I'm more than happy to go the States.
"But once I've conquered America I'll want to come back and box in London at places like The O2 or Upton Park.
"I like boxing in front of my own people and I don't want to end up staying in the States like a lot of British fighters do.
"I'll fight over there or four times and then bring back the best fighters over here.
"I love boxing at home and being in front of the home crowd. It doesn't bother me where I fight, I've boxed all over the world, but once I've conquered the States I want to be back in Britain."
Only time will tell what the future holds for Mitchell, but no one can doubt his desire or love for the sweet science.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepag...ws-Kevin-Mitchell-eyes-Ricky-Burns-scrap.html

Me and Kevin
abseil1.jpg

78,866Threads
2,185,215Messages
4,953Members
Back