MMA thread

Users who are viewing this thread

retro

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Since Belfort is injured... looks like we're getting Rich Franklin vs. Wanderlei at UFC 147 now. Would've been a great fight back in the day, but I'm not so sure about it today. Either way, 147 is looking like a pretty damn weak card right now... like, Fight Night weak.

On the other hand though, UFC 148 looks pretty awesome.

Anderson Silva vs. Sonnen for the Middleweight belt
Faber vs. Barão for the Interim Bantamweight belt
Griffin vs. Ortiz
TBD vs. Le (was scheduled to be Franklin vs. Le)
Kim vs. Maia

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

dkwrtw

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
147 looks just awful, I wouldn't pay a nickel for that card. Word is Patrick Cote will be taking Rich Franklin's place against Cung Le.

dkwrtw

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
Florian was still a good fighter, but I could see why he'd choose to retire now, the odds of him ever getting another title shot are pretty slim.

Obdurate

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Just a quick post from my phone to get MMA talk going again... I think BJ will handle Rory until BJ gasses. Thats not a knock on Rory because the kid has a bright future, BJ is just an exceptional fighter with a poor gas tank. He was beating Diaz (my fave fighter) and Jon Fitch... Until he gassed.

Anybody excited for the UFC this weekend? Solid as shit card.

CCCP

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
The card this weekend is very interesting with the title contendership up for grabs between Vera vs Shogun and Machida vs Bader. Both fights have the potential to be great.

Shogun vs Vera is one I'm particularly interested in due to both fighters having quite a high level skill in Muay Thai. Vera being Rob Kaman's top student, should put him at a slight edge over Shogun in Muay Thai. Yet Shogun is much more skilled when it comes to the ground game, even though Vera was a pretty good wrestler in the Air Force, and trained with the olympic team.

If Vera can land some of his vicious leg kicks, I believe he can cause Shogun to be hesitant, and maybe outscore him. If not, I feel Shogun will push the pace on Vera and either stop him early, or will go to war like he did in his fight against Dan Henderson.

Machida vs Bader is another interesting one. Machida has shown that he has no problem with wrestlers. His take down defense is great to say the least. I feel he will control this fight from start to finish. Bader's only chance is if he can land one of his extremely powerful punches which will surely KO Machida. Bader is such a powerful puncher. He could KO anyone I assume. If he can't land it though, he will be chasing Machida throughout the fight with Machida picking him apart, outscoring him by a large margin.

Should be a good night of fights.

Obdurate

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Hey hey, now that the event is over, Ima talk about it.

From top to bottom the card was great. I'm relieved that a card that looked good on paper actually ended up being good. The only dark spots were the first round in the De Fries/Thompson fight, and the eye poke. But that shit happens, oh well.

I'm not going to run down every fight, but I do want to comment on the main and co-main event, along with the Lauzon fight.

The Lauzon/Varner fight was a candidate for Fight of the Year. It won't be number one, but it's Top 5 right now. This was pretty back and forth, and even though Varner got tired, he still brought it. It also ended in a really exciting fashion with a great triangle by Lauzon. I call this fight as fight of the night to my brother before it happened and for once I was actually right.

I'm not impressed by Machida because I never lost faith in Machida. I knew he was still a top guy and he proves it here, by dismantling Bader with ease. I was happy, I don't like Bader, and I like Machida. He deserves the next title shot, good for him.

Shogun is one of my favourite fighters, so I was incredibly nervous going into this fight. He fought like he did with Little Nog back in Pride. He mixed it up, went for takedowns, worked his under-used ground game. Before I continue I just want to say that I'm not one of these negative MMA fans who instantly cry how washed up everyone is. I give a lot of props to Vera for bringing it, even though on places like Sherdog, all you see is, "Both of these guys suck." Which I think is just such bullshit. Everyone always goes right to the "bad performance" comments instead of giving some props to the guys. Like, maybe Vera was just tougher than people wanted to realize.

With that said, as a big Shogun fan, I have to say that I'm really happy he got the win but we have to just accept the fact that Shogun is not what he was. He's only 30 but it's an old 30. His knees are shot. You can tell there's just too much mileage on his body. This is to be expected in the fight game, especially when you have the style and training that Shogun has had. It's just sad to see a guy this young who's THIS banged up. His movement is mostly gone, he plods along and eats shots, relying on his iron chin and his big heart. His cardio needs work big time, he's not the guy he was in 2005 where he could fight for days. He relies more heavily on his boxing, because due to his injuries and surgeries, he is more of a brawler than what he was. He has okay boxing, and tremendous knock-out power, but lacks fundamentals of boxing like a jab. He has a few signature punches that can put out anybody, but kicks were always his thing.

In his last 4 fights he has gone 2 and 2. A dismantling by the current champ, Jones, which was depressing as shit. Then he wins against Forrest Griffin in quick fashion BUT I wouldn't say Shogun looked impressive. He still plodded along. In his fight with Dan Henderson it was more of the same, and he got by because of his chin and heart. In this fight it was again more of the same; eating shots, but being tough as nails and completely game. Shogun is still a test for people, because Shogun really is a warrior. He gasses out after the first round where he was ON TOP in the Vera fight, but stays in there, because he doesn't know when to quit. That still makes him dangerous to people and I will always support the guy because he's given us a lot of great memories and is one of the very best LHWs to ever fight.

Also; this card had a nice mixture of knock-outs and submissions. We got to see a North/South Choke, which we don't often get to see, along with the slick triangle from Lauzon.

Monkadelic

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Was a very close fight. I had it for Edgar, but it was hardly a shocking decision.

Cerrone-Guillard was great fun. You can only assume Cerrone will be challenging very soon.

Speaking of which - Bendo vs. Diaz. Discuss.

dkwrtw

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
I feel like Edgar got robbed, he won this one far more clearly than Bendo won the 1st one IMO. Oh well though it happens. I'm not sure what to think of Bendo Vs Diaz, I think if Bendo takes it to the ground he'll win it, if he stands and strikes I think Diaz will take it.

dkwrtw

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
They're exciting but they're not the brightest guys in the game, if their opponents don't fight them the way they want them to they seem to have a really hard time adjusting, example Nick Diaz Vs Carlos Condit, what Nick was doing wasn't working for him but at no point does he make any kind of adjustment. I think that will always be their downfall, a smart fighter with a good gameplan who isn't going to get sucked into a brawl will be a tough fight for them.

Monkadelic

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
A fair point.

I think I might have to take Diaz wherever the Bendo fight goes though. His guard game is up there. Very offensive. If it's improved as much as the rest of his game seems to, it could be frightening.

dkwrtw

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
Yeah Diaz has a very dangerous guard, but at the same time Bendo has never been submitted, Diaz is dangerous wherever it goes but I think Bendo's best strategy would be to try to out muscle Diaz on the ground, like Guida, Stevenson, Rory, and Kim have already done. I'm sure Diaz has improved his strength and wrestling but I think he'll always struggle in that kind of fight.

Monkadelic

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
We'll soon see! Either way it's a fight to look forward to.

How busy is this thread? I'm not being lazy, it's just that navigating the forum on my BB is slow work.

I only ask as I do a Pick 'Em league at my old forum. I know there's MMA Playground, but this is just for the top five fights per event.

If there's enough interest I can always set it up for here.

Monkadelic

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
There's been a movement to get modern Pankration in the Olympics. With amateur rules (head and shin guards, larger knuckle protection) it could eventually happen. Maybe in a couple of Olympics' time.

78,866Threads
2,185,220Messages
4,953Members
Back