Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

TheOriginalJames

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Parents have the right to teach their kids anything they want, within the boundaries of the law. Kids are not adults. Children are influenced by their parents or other authority figures. It's supposed to work like that. Saying that a kid should have the right to choose is preposterous. If that happened, none of them would take a bath or brush their teeth or learn anything.

There's a difference in saying to your child, you can go to church and learn about God, Jesus and the Holy spirit and saying if you don't you're grounded for the week.

Children should be encouraged through positive reinforcement to want to learn and be responsible.

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
I wouldn't ever really say it came down to me being forced to go to church, I went really because I believed in that stuff. However the reason I did because I was brainwashed into it. If you're brought up from birth with a certain religion forced down your neck and not being given a chance to look into other options, inevitably you're going to think that's the right way to go. I resent that now. If I ever have kids, I have no problem with them believing in a certain religion but I would do my best to make sure they understand all options in that regard. I would also teach them that intolerance and prejudice is NOT ok, whatever religion you want to practice!

boxer810

On permanent vacation... AKA, BANNED
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I was forced to go to church from the time that I was 10 up until I was 17. My Dad and Mom split and he was looking for comfort, so he turned to the Church...there he met my Sunday School teacher and in less than a year they were married. They forced all of us kids to go. And it was the same with us, if we didn't go to church, we got punished. I was a cheerleader and played sports, had lots of friends, but if I didn't go to church, they took all that away PLUS I wasn't allowed to drive my car! I think it's horrible to force a child to do something like that! It's that reason right there that I was never really receptive to religion. God supposedly gives us free will right? So where is it my will to be FORCED to go to church 4 times a week at risk of losing all my privaleges?

Pudding Time

Banned
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Parents have the right to teach their kids anything they want, within the boundaries of the law. Kids are not adults. Children are influenced by their parents or other authority figures. It's supposed to work like that. Saying that a kid should have the right to choose is preposterous. If that happened, none of them would take a bath or brush their teeth or learn anything.

Bathing and brushing teeth are not a good comparison at all. If a child does not bath or brush, they will have health problems down the road.

IMO. Parents are only responsible for keeping their children healthy and out of trouble.

skyblue

KEEP THE FAITH
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.34z
my nephews in the choir at coventry cathedral......sings on all the important days,even christmas day.......he loves it

GraceAbounds

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
You've trained them well, Grace. ;) If they want to go more power to them. My neighbors went to church ALL day Sunday and in the evenings Wednesday. They enjoyed going to their church, and still enjoy going to their new church.

More power to them I say.

BUT... if/when they decide they don't want to go anymore; what is your reaction to that?

When my children are grown and gone and decide that they don't want to go to church anymore I would be upset and disappointed, but ultimately it is their path to walk. I have my own path and that is where my focus needs to be as it does with everyone or people just start judging instead of working on their own problems and sins and doing something about them because their focus is arrogantly on others instead of humbly upon their own wrongs. Our relationships with the Lord are personal.

I am merely the farmer planting seeds, and trying my best to be a good steward with the blessings (my children) that the good Lord bestowed upon me.

That said, I highly encourage my children to learn about all other religions. We value education in our home and learning about other religions and cultures helps us to love others through understanding; it helps us to talk more compassionately to others and demonstrate sincerity.

Maritxu

OTz's Official Spanish Hottie
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
I know I will let my kids decide what they want for themselves. I would have wanted the same benefit of the doubt from my parents, but I was sent to a Catholic school...

Maritxu

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
Its because of my being forced, and the hypocrisy I've read and had thrown at me about religion that I simply don't believe anymore. It's like believing in a ghost. I'm not superstitious and and I'm not religious. I don't see how a being can be all knowing, yet still provides us with free will. It doesn't make sense.
I can understand that. Actually most of the people who went with me to school are atheist and they hate/dislike organized religion (I have the second one in common with them)

teh_fuzz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Tokenz
124.51z
Do you all want to know the reason I feel atheism is a good choice for my ideology?

I'll tell you.

Growing up my parents were both stout Christians of the methodist flavor. I finally understood that we do things methodically which is how both of my parents are.

So, naturally, my parents were both on some sort of church committees demanding their presence at church every sunday. How does this apply to me? I was forced to go to church, every sunday.

I feel like religion was forced down my throat and as someone who see's things in black and white and out of pure ignorance didn't realize I could make my own choices, so I went. The catch if I didn't go?

No TV, no friends, no going outside for the next 6 days of that week. If I didn't go to one service, or at least sunday school after the services, I'd get reprimanded from privilages.

At 17, my dad stopped going to church, and so my being forced to go stopped. In fact until I was 18 I still went, every sunday even though my dad wouldn't go anymore.

My point: I don't believe one should be forced into a religion, even as a child. I believe a parent should simply nurture the natural curiosity a child has towards a religious activity.

What is your take?

This is almost the same thing that happened to me, my mom forced me to go to church, and i was reprimanded if i did not go. My mother being a big religious Hispanic mother would try and instill belief in me.

I am now 30 and not a religious man in any way what so ever... I see nothing in relilgion for me. Is it because of the forcing of religion down my throat by my mother? or is it because I just see nothing in religion for me?

honestly, I can't say.

I have 2 girls whom will not be forced to go to churh but if they feel like they want to follow their mother (a religious woman lol) then I will support them as needed.

Breath

Banned!
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I have 2 girls whom will not be forced to go to churh but if they feel like they want to follow their mother (a religious woman lol) then I will support them as needed.

I'm wondering...did their mother want them baptized, did you go along with that, if so? Does she take them to church now? Or do you want them to want to go before they actually go?

Maritxu

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
I could agree but if a kid tells you he/she doesn't go to church making him go will make him/her want to go less. How is that good? Religion shouldn't be an obligation, only a choice.

TheOriginalJames

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I know I will let my kids decide what they want for themselves. I would have wanted the same benefit of the doubt from my parents, but I was sent to a Catholic school...

Yep. thats part of the reason I respect my brother. He's got two small boys and doesn't force them to go anywhere. Every now and then over the summer his oldest will stay with my mom on a saturday night and go to breakfast with my dad, and then to church with my mom. The big difference is he asks to go and wants to go.

Of course only being 7 he's more into it to spend time with his gramma and papaw.

I like the fact that my brother won't force religion on his sons.

Breath

Banned!
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I think there is a distinction here that is not being understood. From my perspective, a parent makes decisions for their child. All decisions. That is the job of a parent. And most parents make decisions based upon what they think is best for a child. A parent shouldn't let the child whine and bitch about it and then cave in so that they don't have to do what the parent thinks is best. Parents make them get shots and do their homework and eat their vegetables and apologize for being mean to their sister and write thank-you letters. My point is that children are "made" to do all sorts of things, in the eventual hope that they'll become a person that is a worthy, contributing member of society. If a parent "makes" their child go to Church, there isn't anything wrong with that. It's just another character-building activity that a parent chooses as being worthwhile to raising his/her child. Each set of parents has to choose what they consider to be worthwhile endeavors to teach their children, even if they have to "force" it. How many children were forced to take music lessons, and now couldn't thank their parents enough for having made them practice? It's the same with a parent's choice to encourage and "make" their children go to Church. Some of them will appreciate it; some of them won't. But to say it's wrong...that's not understanding the role of a parent.

GraceAbounds

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I think there is a distinction here that is not being understood. From my perspective, a parent makes decisions for their child. All decisions. That is the job of a parent. And most parents make decisions based upon what they think is best for a child. A parent shouldn't let the child whine and bitch about it and then cave in so that they don't have to do what the parent thinks is best. Parents make them get shots and do their homework and eat their vegetables and apologize for being mean to their sister and write thank-you letters. My point is that children are "made" to do all sorts of things, in the eventual hope that they'll become a person that is a worthy, contributing member of society. If a parent "makes" their child go to Church, there isn't anything wrong with that. It's just another character-building activity that a parent chooses as being worthwhile to raising his/her child. Each set of parents has to choose what they consider to be worthwhile endeavors to teach their children, even if they have to "force" it. How many children were forced to take music lessons, and now couldn't thank their parents enough for having made them practice? It's the same with a parent's choice to encourage and "make" their children go to Church. Some of them will appreciate it; some of them won't. But to say it's wrong...that's not understanding the role of a parent.
:clap :clap :clap :clap :clap

Maritxu

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
The problem is that forcing somebody to believe something is not a good idea and it doesn't work. I'm all for sharing your religion with your kid and when they are small I have no problem with you taking them to church. But if they don't want to go it doesn't do any good that you force them to.

Breath

Banned!
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
The problem is that forcing somebody to believe something is not a good idea and it doesn't work. I'm all for sharing your religion with your kid and when they are small I have no problem with you taking them to church. But if they don't want to go it doesn't do any good that you force them to.

Maria, in YOUR case, you won't "make" your child go to Church, you won't "force" them to believe. That's fine for you. Why is it wrong for any other religious person to teach their child about their beliefs. Don't parents typically impart politics and manners and love of education and artistic desires and musical abilities to their children? Religion is just one more in that list. It's called giving your children opportunities. A parent who values religion is going to certainly want their child to be knowledgeable about it, just as much as they'd want their child to pursue any other opportunity they are able to provide. Children are typically lazy, are they not? In my opinion, forcing them (or encouraging them as a loving parent would do) to participate in a religion is no different than getting their ass up early to take swimming lessons.

Maritxu

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
Maria, in YOUR case, you won't "make" your child go to Church, you won't "force" them to believe. That's fine for you. Why is it wrong for any other religious person to teach their child about their beliefs. Don't parents typically impart politics and manners and love of education and artistic desires and musical abilities to their children? Religion is just one more in that list. It's called giving your children opportunities. A parent who values religion is going to certainly want their child to be knowledgeable about it, just as much as they'd want their child to pursue any other opportunity they are able to provide. Children are typically lazy, are they not? In my opinion, forcing them (or encouraging them as a loving parent would do) to participate in a religion is no different than getting their ass up early to take swimming lessons.
I don't care what other people do with their kids (unless they adoctrinate them, of course). I just don't see the use of it. Probably they will grow up to hate religion if they are force to go to church when they don't want to and that's sad.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back