How far is too far?

Users who are viewing this thread

TheOriginalJames

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Do you all want to know the reason I feel atheism is a good choice for my ideology?

I'll tell you.

Growing up my parents were both stout Christians of the methodist flavor. I finally understood that we do things methodically which is how both of my parents are.

So, naturally, my parents were both on some sort of church committees demanding their presence at church every sunday. How does this apply to me? I was forced to go to church, every sunday.

I feel like religion was forced down my throat and as someone who see's things in black and white and out of pure ignorance didn't realize I could make my own choices, so I went. The catch if I didn't go?

No TV, no friends, no going outside for the next 6 days of that week. If I didn't go to one service, or at least sunday school after the services, I'd get reprimanded from privilages.

At 17, my dad stopped going to church, and so my being forced to go stopped. In fact until I was 18 I still went, every sunday even though my dad wouldn't go anymore.

My point: I don't believe one should be forced into a religion, even as a child. I believe a parent should simply nurture the natural curiosity a child has towards a religious activity.

What is your take?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

dt3

Back By Unpopular Demand
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.21z
It shouldn't be forced on kids. If it's something they want to do, they'll do it. That's how it was with me. My parents NEVER went to church or talked about god. In 8th grade I decided I wanted to go to church. I went for a few years, and decided it wasn't my cup of tea.

TheOriginalJames

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Its because of my being forced, and the hypocrisy I've read and had thrown at me about religion that I simply don't believe anymore. It's like believing in a ghost. I'm not superstitious and and I'm not religious. I don't see how a being can be all knowing, yet still provides us with free will. It doesn't make sense.

Rusteh

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I don't mean to bash anybody's faith or beliefs, but IMO if there really is an all powerful being or set of beings, I highly doubt they would DEMAND we live a certain way or bad things will happen to us in life or the afterlife when we all have the gift of making our own decisions.

My beliefs on western religion stem back to the times of the 15th century when Churchs used the ignorance of the commoners to force them into making decisions, such as war, taxes, Kings, etc....

I am not all that familiar with other religions, but frankly I'd rather not be defined by a religion that I practice or don't, but just be recognized for being who I really am.

All Else Failed

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Everyone is born an atheist. Religion and deities are learned.

personally, I would love to see atheism take over more, which it will in time. Look at Europe.

Dodge_Sniper

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Do you all want to know the reason I feel atheism is a good choice for my ideology?

I'll tell you.

Growing up my parents were both stout Christians of the methodist flavor. I finally understood that we do things methodically which is how both of my parents are.

So, naturally, my parents were both on some sort of church committees demanding their presence at church every sunday. How does this apply to me? I was forced to go to church, every sunday.

I feel like religion was forced down my throat and as someone who see's things in black and white and out of pure ignorance didn't realize I could make my own choices, so I went. The catch if I didn't go?

No TV, no friends, no going outside for the next 6 days of that week. If I didn't go to one service, or at least sunday school after the services, I'd get reprimanded from privilages.

At 17, my dad stopped going to church, and so my being forced to go stopped. In fact until I was 18 I still went, every sunday even though my dad wouldn't go anymore.

My point: I don't believe one should be forced into a religion, even as a child. I believe a parent should simply nurture the natural curiosity a child has towards a religious activity.

What is your take?

A-fucking-men. I owe you major rep for this. I was forced to go until I was 14. No punishment, because I was FORCED to go. As in, they said, "Get in this car or you'll be grounded until you're 20". It's not right to force a religion on somebody.

HottyToddyChick

Toes in the water...
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
My parents forced me to go. The day I turned 18, I finally told them no, that I didn't believe anymore. (Part of that was my pastor's fault.) Now that I'm a little older, I wish I could find a church around here.

But I agree with Rusteh. It really does seem like a "demand" to do or not do certain things.

COOL_BREEZE2

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
A-fucking-men. I owe you major rep for this. I was forced to go until I was 14. No punishment, because I was FORCED to go. As in, they said, "Get in this car or you'll be grounded until you're 20". It's not right to force a religion on somebody.

Gotta admit tho. It's a hard call for parents. Face it, as a kid you don't really want to go to church now do you. Not so much fun. Left up to kids they would never want to make the effort to go.

GraceAbounds

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
My Oldest Son's response to this thread: I am not forced to go to church, I want to go to church because there I get to learn about God and I want to learn about God because he died on the cross for me and if he didn't do that I'd be separated from God. Also it is fun to go to church because we make learning about God fun and also you can learn how to act the right way and you will have good Christian friends to help you to follow the right path of Jesus Christ. Thanks for taking the time to read my response.

My middle child: I like to sing songs to God and I like to worship. I love my church a lot. The people there are so much nicer than anywhere else in the world. They treat me good and care about me and what is happening in my life. They show me with their actions.

My three year old: I play with my friends alot and I pray to God and I read to God and I let God help me to share with other people and let His love shine in me. I like to learn how to watch out for other people and show them that I really love them. I love Jesus. That is all I have to say.

Out of the mouths of babes. <3

TheOriginalJames

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
You've trained them well, Grace. ;) If they want to go more power to them. My neighbors went to church ALL day Sunday and in the evenings Wednesday. They enjoyed going to their church, and still enjoy going to their new church.

More power to them I say.

BUT... if/when they decide they don't want to go anymore; what is your reaction to that?

All Else Failed

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Um... yeah that's nice. lol

People sleeping or not paying attention turned you away from church?

*WARNING*

Lame excuse

*WARNING*

:p
..what? Where did I say thats what turned me away from the church? I was just commenting on what people did in my old church. :confused

There are innumerable reasons why I don't go to church or believe in god (s).

Breath

Banned!
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Parents have the right to teach their kids anything they want, within the boundaries of the law. Kids are not adults. Children are influenced by their parents or other authority figures. It's supposed to work like that. Saying that a kid should have the right to choose is preposterous. If that happened, none of them would take a bath or brush their teeth or learn anything.

NicAuf

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
IMO religion is bullshit. Faith and belief is fine by me, but its when somebody tries to tell how to believe, thats what really pisses me off.

IntruderLS1

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Parents have the right to teach their kids anything they want, within the boundaries of the law. Kids are not adults. Children are influenced by their parents or other authority figures. It's supposed to work like that. Saying that a kid should have the right to choose is preposterous. If that happened, none of them would take a bath or brush their teeth or learn anything.

<stands up and yells "Brava" at the top of my lungs>

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

<Throws a rose>

78,865Threads
2,185,202Messages
4,953Members
Back