Autism Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Trinityy

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I didnt read the whole thread but my brother had aspurgers syndrome when he was younger, or thats whut someone in my family told me. Idk if he grew out of it or if they are just tryin to hide it from me or whut but now they say that its just a horrid case of ADHD.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

Veronica

The OG
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
316.98z
aspergers and ADHD are commonly mixed up. I dunno why, but for people that dont want to admit that their child have aspergers, they just say its adhd. :( People need to be more accepting. :(

daisybee, your mother must be a STRONG woman. I only have 1 autistic child and its very hard.

Trinityy

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
aspergers and ADHD are commonly mixed up. I dunno why, but for people that dont want to admit that their child have aspergers, they just say its adhd. :( People need to be more accepting. :(

daisybee, your mother must be a STRONG woman. I only have 1 autistic child and its very hard.

yeah idk, i think they are hiding shit from me but its whutever.

daisybee

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z

its extended family also but mum was pretty good at coping with me

the one who has the autisim and the epilepsy is my son and hes my world :)

Donnajoe

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I dunno if this has been covered in the thread before or anything (and I will admit I'm too lazy to dig through right now *blushes*) but... when it comes to autism and aspergers, what exactly are considered the best treatments, so to speak?

I have always heard that it's best to get it diagnosed at the youngest age possible and then do something about it. But here's what I want to do--what kind of therapies are out there, and how do they work? How exactly do they help these young people who need it, how does it work? What do the therapists actually do in order to help them develop properly?

Also what sorts of medications are generally recommended, and do any of them actually work?

Thanks in advance.

Jersey

Mrs. Dontchaknow
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.11z
I'm personally a therapist in applied behavior analysis, so I am obviously biased to it. I have been doing it for about 6 years now, and I have watched miracles happen. It is strenuous on everyone involved-the children, the therapist, the family- but it is absolutely worth the end results.

There are several other offshoots of ABA and other therapies all together that I don't know a great deal about. The only other therapy I have really seen is the Floortime Method (aka the Greenspan Method). Typically, Floortime works with less severe cases of Autism or Asperger's Syndrome rather than more severe cases os Autism (in my opinion anyways.....)

Medications vary because children with Autism tend to have other medical issues. There are several medications used in Autism as in ADHD- adderol, risperdol... etc.

There are also a ton of anti-seizure medications prescribed, as seizures are common unfortunately

bigtuna

Banned
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
seeing people with special needs makes me feel really bad and reminds me how lucky i am to be lucky so when i grow up i think im going to try to do a lot of volenteer stuff. I just hope i remember.

Fatboygixxer

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Great thread for my first post. My Name is Nick, and my 6yr old daughter Niyahni has severe autism. She does not speak, but occasionally tries to repeat what others are saying. She is very active and is the light of my life. She just started a new medication called respertol (sp?) and so far it just seems to put her to sleep. Having a child with autism is a challenge I never thought in a thousand years would come into my life, but I'm so grateful to have her in my life...

Great forum btw!!

Veronica

The OG
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
316.98z
Great thread for my first post. My Name is Nick, and my 6yr old daughter Niyahni has severe autism. She does not speak, but occasionally tries to repeat what others are saying. She is very active and is the light of my life. She just started a new medication called respertol (sp?) and so far it just seems to put her to sleep. Having a child with autism is a challenge I never thought in a thousand years would come into my life, but I'm so grateful to have her in my life...

Great forum btw!!

Welcome to the forums. There are a few people here that have autistic children, or teach autistic kids OR is autistic themselves. You will like it here.

gigi9

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Interesting thread. I have an autistic sister. She recently just moved into a group home, and its certainly been an experience for the entire family. She is scared of almost all vehicles except my moms old white van. It is her biggest challenge in her new environment. We've been dealing with it for a long time and havent figured it out. I hope soon someone does. We have now started to realize perhaps she has a phobia of some sort.

3dfan

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Well Peter Parka you are obviously a very good man if you started this thread - I have brother with the same difference but I love him and it is all that matters to me!

skyblue

KEEP THE FAITH
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.34z
i've said it once and i'll say it again....many autistics get a level of expertise in a certain subject......that means that the genius's throughout history could have been autistic,einstein etc

Donnajoe

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I dunno if anyone else has posted this link, and I hope it is okay for me to post it. But here is a Livejournal community devoted to people who have had to deal with autism, whether they have a mild case of autism themselves or have a family member who deals with it. I have found the website to be very interesting and very insightful in some ways.

Autism Community

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
Just watched a program on BBC3 called The Autistic Me and it's really pissed me off! It's basically making out that Autistic people are retarded, cant form relationships and are violent. Complete and utter bullshit! We have our problems and yes, relationships can be hard but I'm married, happily, I dont ever hit women, can speak properly and can carry on a conversaion pretty ok as some of you on here are aware.

Oh, and the gimmicky music just adds insult to injury, really didn't need to hear "Sad world" over a highly intelligent Aspie finnishing his temp job at the London library.

78,864Threads
2,185,192Messages
4,953Members
Back