Autism Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
I thought I'd start this thread because I know many members on here has direct contact with Autism and I thought it would be a good place to explain it and make people aware of it and what it means.
I myself have aspurgers syndrome. We don't like it to be referd to as a disabillity, its just a difference.
What it means to me is that I am very knowledgeable about certain, percific things but when it comes to personal dealings, a lot of the time I'm useless! For instance, I can tell you what King or Queen ruled Britain at any given year but I can't tell if someone has been offended by me or really read peoples unconcious language. This is why at times I get irrationally upset for no apparent reason.
This is my outlook on it, I'd love others in autism circunstances to put through their views and anyone to ask a question about it, please do. Lets make everyone more aware of this, thanks!:)

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list
N

NightWarrior

I thought I'd start this thread because I know many members on here has direct contact with Autism and I thought it would be a good place to explain it and make people aware of it and what it means.
I myself have aspurgers syndrome. We don't like it to be referd to as a disabillity, its just a difference.
What it means to me is that I am very knowledgeable about certain, percific things but when it comes to personal dealings, a lot of the time I'm useless! For instance, I can tell you what King or Queen ruled Britain at any given year but I can't tell if someone has been offended by me or really read peoples unconcious language. This is why at times I get irrationally upset for no apparent reason.
This is my outlook on it, I'd love others in autism circunstances to put through their views and anyone to ask a question about it, please do. Lets make everyone more aware of this, thanks!:)

Peter, have you ever watched the show Boston Legal? Does it make it over there? There is a character on there that has this syndrome.

Thebest

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Dude, I think I might have Aspurgers Syndrome!:willy_nilly::(

Seriously, a lot of the times I have a hard time knowing whether or not something I said might've been offensive or something. :unsure:

And does Aspurgers sound like Ass Burgers to anyone else?:ninja

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
Well that does sound like one of the symptons. Do you get obsessed and knowledgeable about things others have no interest in but find some things that most other people find simple, hard to comprehend? Do you have trouble reading other peoples body language?

Here's a website which might help you

The National Autistic Society - Home

I think Heather (Jersey) and Veronica (VShayes) might be able to help you with people to get in touch with in America about it, hope this helps.:)

Tim

Having way too much fun
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
111.11z
I thought this was very interesting.

Revolutionary New Test for Early Detection of Autism

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Researchers at Cambridge University have found a relatively easy and early way to detect autism. Although autism has its subtle beginnings during infancy, the diagnosis is rarely made before three years of age (and usually autism is discovered even later than that). Since treatment is more effective the earlier it is begun, the possibility of early detection is truly exciting.[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1Three hallmark behaviors were the focus of their investigation: [/FONT]
  1. [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
    [*] Protodeclarative pointing -- by fourteen months of age a normal infant will point at an object in order to get another person to look at that object
    [*] Gaze-monitoring -- by fourteen months an infant will often turn to look in the same direction an adult is looking
    [*] Pretend play -- by fourteen months children will begin to play using object substitution,e.g. pretending to make tea and drink it out of a toy cup.
    [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All three behaviors are typically absent in school-age children with autism.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cambridge researchers looked at sixteen thousand children in the southeast of England during routine eighteen month well-child examinations. They checked to see if the children had evidenced each of these three key behaviors. Only twelve children out of the sixteen thousand consistently failed in all three key areas at their eighteen month check ups. Ten out of these twelve later proved to have autism. Of twenty-two additional children who failed in either one or two of the behaviors, none turned out to have autism, but 68% did later have a speech delay.[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This powerful screening test is remarkably simple, painless, and cost-effective. It promises to revolutionize the lives of the next generation of children with autism. If your child isn't exhibiting these behaviors by 18 months of age, bring this to your pediatrician's attention.[/FONT]

Silious950

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Peter my little sister has autism and I was the one who found out. My best-friends brother has what you have. He is obsessed with sculpting and playing video games. everything just does not interest him... I'm glad you brought this up, I always need a reminder of what is happening around the world with autism.

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
Wow Tim, that's really interesting. I might have to ask my Mum more about what I was like as a baby. I know that I was apparently a really good baby which seems strange because of what I was like in later life. I'm wondering if I exhibeted any of those things. I'm going to have to ask her about that, thanks for bringing it to our attention!:)

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
Peter my little sister has autism and I was the one who found out. My best-friends brother has what you have. He is obsessed with sculpting and playing video games. everything just does not interest him... I'm glad you brought this up, I always need a reminder of what is happening around the world with autism.

Another one with connections! I never joined this forum because of the autism stuff and only found out all the connections people on here have with it till later, spooky or what, maybe Grace is right and there is a higher power directing me in the right direction!:eek

Silious950

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I know I was surprised too! I just wanted somewhere to chat while I was at work. It turned out to be not only a way to get to know people better. But also I can talk to most of you here about Autism and I'm so glad that everyone here supports eachother.. Thanks Guys.

Much Love.

Dustin

Thebest

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Well that does sound like one of the symptons. Do you get obsessed and knowledgeable about things others have no interest in but find some things that most other people find simple, hard to comprehend? Do you have trouble reading other peoples body language?

Here's a website which might help you

The National Autistic Society - Home

I think Heather (Jersey) and Veronica (VShayes) might be able to help you with people to get in touch with in America about it, hope this helps.:)

Gaaaah, I really think I have that Aspurger's thing!:willy_nilly:

I have all those symptoms. Although most of the time I do get people's body language, I do have those moments when I can't tell what they're doin.:(

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
Gaaaah, I really think I have that Aspurger's thing!:willy_nilly:

I have all those symptoms. Although most of the time I do get people's body language, I do have those moments when I can't tell what they're doin.:(

Its nothing to worry about, dude. Aspurgers is a condition, not a disability. People with aspurgers have certain knowledge and abilities that no one without it could get!;)

Thebest

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Its nothing to worry about, dude. Aspurgers is a condition, not a disability. People with aspurgers have certain knowledge and abilities that no one without it could get!;)

Well, If I do have it this is the first time I've noticed in my whole life, so I doubt it's anything really bad.:)

Mrs Behavin

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.55z
Docs Urge Early Autism Screening For All

The country's leading pediatricians group is pushing again to have all children screened for autism twice by age two.

The advice is meant to help both parents and doctors spot autism sooner. There is no cure for the disorder, but experts say early therapy can make it less severe.

Symptoms to watch for and a call for early screening come in two new reports.

They are being released by the American Academy of Pediatrics at its annual meeting in San Francisco and will appear in the November issue of the journal Pediatrics and on the group's Web site.

The symptoms could include babies who don't babble at nine months or one year-olds who don't point to toys. But experts point out that not all children who display a few of these symptoms are autistic and say

Katherina Yancy is following this story and will more later on Today's THV and todaysthv.com.

Today's THV - KTHV Little Rock News Article

78,864Threads
2,185,192Messages
4,953Members
Back