What Makes you Moral?

Users who are viewing this thread

Minor Axis

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z

Thanks!

How can anyone claim that there is such a thing as "an accepted moral standard?" Any 10 people people from any 10 places on this planet will have 10 dramatically different "standards" as to what is moral and what is not.

You just want to argue don't you! Ok, pick a place, the U.S. (or how about most of the civilized world), accepted moral standard- murder is wrong. Argue that. :)

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

itsmeJonB

Reaction score
Tokenz
209.25z
In all seriousness I'd like to add to the morality discussion.

I think morality is a humane trait that we possess which separates us from animal.
Its a lot like common sense in my opinion. Not everyone has common sense, not everyone has morality.
I think morality has a lossy definition. I personally do not believe that having multiple sexual partners is immoral but others may.
Killing another human being is immoral, but I don't believe killing an animal for sport is. Animal lovers would disagree.
Morals cant be defined per one person, and some things that are unlawful should not be considered immoral, ie drug use.

I do not believe in a god, so I dont believe I am being judged. But I do want to be happy with myself, and I want the people I love to be happy with me. Morality is an inherited trait that comes from no where else than the public and your upbringing.

Minor Axis

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
In all seriousness I'd like to add to the morality discussion.

I think morality is a humane trait that we possess which separates us from animal.
Its a lot like common sense in my opinion. Not everyone has common sense, not everyone has morality.
I think morality has a lossy definition. I personally do not believe that having multiple sexual partners is immoral but others may.
Killing another human being is immoral, but I don't believe killing an animal for sport is. Animal lovers would disagree.
Morals cant be defined per one person, and some things that are unlawful should not be considered immoral, ie drug use.

I do not believe in a god, so I dont believe I am being judged. But I do want to be happy with myself, and I want the people I love to be happy with me. Morality is an inherited trait that comes from no where else than the public and your upbringing.

Some level of morality may be inherited, and to some degree taught, but it also comes from within.

But I'm not convinced that animals have no morals. Morals has to do with a sense of right and wrong. Pets do have a sense of what is right or wrong, but the question becomes are they acting on a moral basis, or similiar to religion, acting on an avoidance of punishment basis? There are cases of trained dogs giving their lives to save their human partner. Can that be only attributed to training?

itsmeJonB

Reaction score
Tokenz
209.25z
Pets do have a sense of what is right or wrong, but the question becomes are they acting on a moral basis, or similiar to religion, acting on an avoidance of punishment basis? There are cases of trained dogs giving their lives to save their human partner. Can that be only attributed to training?
yes, avoidance of getting punished =! morality

Dakota Jim

Banned
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
What makes you moral- your actions, thoughts, based on free will or punishment? Lets forget about all of the possible interpretations of what morality is and keep this simple. I'm going to use the always popular 10 commandments (Wiki link ) for this discussion but acknowledge that it is not the only standard out there. There could be more examples such as "you die, it's all over, so who gives a shit." But I'd like to stick to my two examples below.

Example 1- You live on the Earth, there is a giant camera in the sky (GOD) that records every action you take in your life. God has given you a standard, the 10 commandments and a warning of punishment, if you don't do what I say, or believe how I tell you to believe you will be punished for all eternity. You live your life, follow all the rules because you don't want to burn in hell and upon your passing to the spiritual plane arrive at the gates of Heaven. You get an "A" (using the grading scaled A-F) from God. Party time! Where are the virgins? :D

Exampe 2- you are given an opportunity to live your life, discover your strengths and weaknesses, learn lessons, and make moral choices, hurt or help others based on free will. When you die, you arrive at the spiritual evaluation committee (or God if you prefer) who grades you based on your past life and hands it to you for self reflection until you move on to the next test.

Which situation gives you a better opportunity to be moral? In example one, if you follow all of the "rules", does this make you moral -OR- does it only indicate you are an excellent rule follower?

More importantly do you think an all powerful, all wise god would really judge people based on example number 1? What kind of morality do you really have if all of peoples' actions on this Earth are based on punishment? I just don't see Example 1 as a worthy standard for God to judge people on.

I have seen far more immoral acts by "Christians" than by "Atheists". As far back as one can look, it's been the Christians who waged war against those of either another religion or no religion. Today it's the religious zealots that are creating a hell in the world, not atheists.

Tangerine

Slightly Acidic
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Thanks!

You just want to argue don't you! Ok, pick a place, the U.S. (or how about most of the civilized world), accepted moral standard- murder is wrong. Argue that. :)

There are plenty of nutcase right-wingers in this country who believe it's a moral right to kill anyone who is performing or facilitating abortions. Many muslim extremists believe that murdering "infidels" is not only moral, but an obligation.

All Else Failed

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
they found jesus too late is all. they are converted in jail because they found the morality in the bible they got time to read.
No actually most go in Christian.

Tell me, if I am not Christian and I do not follow your specific set of morals and ethics, then why am I not a "bad" person? Why don't I steal, rape, murder, take drugs or covet things?

78,865Threads
2,185,212Messages
4,953Members
Back