Participant count
  • Participants list

Minor Axis

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
show me where we differ then?

It's there as plain as day.

You said (blanket statement) "if you follow someone else's rule you are a tool". I countered that it depends on if you follow because you agree with it (you believe it has merit) or you follow just because you have been convinced it's some kind of binding divine rule, (the implication being if you don't follow, you'll be punished).

Friendly tip: No need to sound aggravated all the time. Relaxxx! :)

Jumbo Shrimp

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
It's there as plain as day.

You said (blanket statement) "if you follow someone else's rule you are a tool". I countered that it depends on if you follow because you agree with it (you believe it has merit) or you follow just because you have been convinced it's some kind of binding divine rule, (the implication being if you don't follow, you'll be punished).

Friendly tip: No need to sound aggravated all the time. Relaxxx! :)
If you agree with it then it would be your rule too.

Friendly tip: Common sense $4.95 of E-bay.

Minor Axis

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
If you agree with it then it would be your rule too.

Rules are owned by those who have the ability to establish and enforce them, especially if referring to a divine entity which can burn you (just an example). They imply control. There is a difference if you conform because you think it's a good idea and support it or regardless of how you feel about it, you conform to avoid punishment. "Tool" usually means you are being used. Which of these makes you someone's tool? I lean towards the latter although if you are easily influenced, it could be either. :)

Jumbo Shrimp

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Rules are owned by those who have the ability to establish and enforce them,especially if referring to a divine entity which can burn you (just an example). They imply control. There is a difference if you conform because you think it's a good idea and support it or regardless of how you feel about it, you conform to avoid punishment. "Tool" usually means you are being used. Which of these makes you someone's tool? I lean towards the latter although if you are easily influenced, it could be either. :)
Those are laws. Rules are more general. I follow the law because they are the same as my values or rules. When enough people disagree with laws revolutions happen. If you follow something you don't believe in just because you are supposed to you are a tool and you are being used.

RUBESH

Reaction score
Tokenz
415.23z
Morality is a broad issue with several viewpoints and perspectives. Yet, it appears that, in the context of your examples, Example 2 provides an improved chance for a person to be moral. This is due to the fact that in Example 2, the individual makes moral decisions based on their own free will and personal beliefs, rather than merely obeying a set of rules out of fear of penalty or desire for gain.

Carson20t

Reaction score
Tokenz
274.54z
This is a very contentious topic and has various points of view, at times what we may accept and not accept to be morally right and not right respectively may be different for others. So the best is for one to have it within themselves that what they have done or is doing is right and has not injured others would be the best thing or stance.

So just ensuring your actions and deeds help in maintaining your peace and sanity and at the same time do not infringe or disturb others is the best definition of ascertaining what is right.

78,865Threads
2,185,212Messages
4,953Members
Back