What is religion?

Users who are viewing this thread

Godsloveapples

Between darkness and wonder
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.08z
Not many people realize that religion is both a guidance to human beings and science that explains the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe. All religions are peaceful; I have never in my life came across a religion that orders humans to kill or commit crimes. Many people may argue that Islam orders Muslims to kill- i.e. "slay them wherever you catch them" (Qur'an 2:191). But who is this referring to? Who are "they" that this verse discusses? This is one verse that is snipped out of context either by those trying to malign the faith, or by misguided Muslims themselves who wish to justify their aggressive tactics. The preceding and following verses give the correct context:

"Fight in the cause of God those who fight you, but do not transgress limits; for God loves not transgressors. And slay them wherever ye catch them, and turn them out from where they have turned you out; for tumult and oppression are worse than slaughter; but fight them not at the Sacred Mosque, unless they (first) fight you there; but if they fight you, slay them. Such is the reward of those who suppress faith. But if they cease, God is Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful. And fight them on until there is no more tumult or oppression, and there prevails justice and faith in God; but if they cease, let there be no hostility except to those who practise oppression" (2:190-193).

It is clear from the context that these verses are discussing a defensive war, when a Muslim community is attacked without reason, oppressed and prevented from practicing their faith. In these circumstances, permission is given to fight back -- but even then Muslims are instructed not to transgress limits, and to cease fighting as soon as the attacker gives up. Even in these circumstances, Muslim are only to fight directly against those who are attacking them, not innocent bystanders or non-combatants.

As you can see, Islam IS a peaceful religion and so are all other religions. Religion teaches discipline, honor, a sense of pride, a sense of right and wrong; it teaches us to be kind to others and give help whenever possible. Religion teaches us how to handle life situations such as marrige, divorce, death, and much more. In short, religion teaches us how to live life in the right way.

Religion has also taught us science. Who could have known 1,440 years ago about the coming of the universe into existence, the expansion of the universe, the creation of hot smoke, the perfect equilibrium in the universe, the structural differences between the sun, the moon and the stars, etc.? (too much to be listed). The answer is God. God has given us religion as a guidance to help us understand life and manage it.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

boombala

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
snip:

"All religions are peaceful; I have never in my life came across a religion that orders humans to kill or commit crimes."

I'm sorry, Temperamental but I did not read past this statement because a read of u.s. history will show that the very ground we walk on is a boneyard from wars caused by people who claimed to believe in God. While purpetrating geneocide on Native Americans, we claimed that God was on our side -- we still make that claim as we continue to kill civilians in Iraq.

What about the Scriptures in the Bible where Jesus say's something to the effect if you are not with me you are against me and I come bearing a sword and that brother will turn again brother. Doesn't sound too peaceloving to me. The teachings may not come right out and use the word KILL (or maybe they do) but the meaning seems clear.

IMO, religion is man's excuse to make war on his fellow for the purpose of gaining resources. It's all about the MONEY.

boombala

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
ps.

I forgot to mention that I did read the rest of your post and want to add that my post was in no way a belittlement of what you had to write. What I typed is just my opinion.

ssl

Banned
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Wikipedia said:
A religion is a set of beliefs and practices often organized around supernatural and moral claims, and often codified as prayer, ritual, and religious law. Religion also encompasses ancestral or cultural traditions, writings, history, and mythology, as well as personal faith and mystic experience. The term "religion" refers to both the personal practices related to communal faith and to group rituals and communication stemming from shared conviction.

Now, assuming that this is an accepted definition, we can understand exactly what religion is.

Religion is a set of beliefs.
Religion is a set of practices
Religion is organized around supernatural and moral claims.
Religion is also composed of traditions, culture, and history.

So, it might be said that a religion is the intangible concept written on paper on how a person should act, personally and socially with other people; it might also be orally passed on between generations.

If that is true, then it might be said that anyone could derive their own religion. There are many templates available for use.

If that is true, then it might be said that there was only one religion back in the day.

If that is true, then what was before such a religion?

If such contemplation is fruitful, then it is not possible to exist without religion?

The answer: No. Religion has been ingrained into society to an extent that is irremovable. It might be said that society used to dictate what was right and wrong, which might be said of modern society, but most of what constitutes right and wrong is now left to a particular religion.

If that is true, then it might be said that one could create their own morals, and therefore be protected under such systems of laws of our own, providing such morals and practices of such morals do not infringe upon the rights of others to participate in the set of beliefs and practices of those beliefs.

So, here we are:

Religion is a set of rules.
Religion is practices according to such rules.
Religion can be made by anyone who so desires.
Religion cannot be taken away from the individual.
Religion cannot be forced upon others.
Religion is a decision.

If such is true, then it might be said that I fear for what the future might hold for humanity.

Godsloveapples

Between darkness and wonder
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.08z
snip:

"All religions are peaceful; I have never in my life came across a religion that orders humans to kill or commit crimes."

I'm sorry, Temperamental but I did not read past this statement because a read of u.s. history will show that the very ground we walk on is a boneyard from wars caused by people who claimed to believe in God. While purpetrating geneocide on Native Americans, we claimed that God was on our side -- we still make that claim as we continue to kill civilians in Iraq.
You said it. The wars were caused by the people who claimed to believe in God. I think I clearly stated that I'm not speaking of peoples actions but of what's written inside the Holy Books.

What about the Scriptures in the Bible where Jesus say's something to the effect if you are not with me you are against me and I come bearing a sword and that brother will turn again brother. Doesn't sound too peaceloving to me. The teachings may not come right out and use the word KILL (or maybe they do) but the meaning seems clear.
The verse is as follows: "And I will call for a sword against him throughout all my mountains, saith the Lord GOD: every man's sword shall be against his brother" (Ezekiel 38:21)

Do you know which time this verse is speaking of? Did you, by chance, read the verse that comes after it? Ofcourse not, because if you did, then you would have known what it ment. It is speaking about judgment day where the Battle of Armageddon is supposed to occur. What you misunderstood about it is that (in the Christain belief) when people turn to Christ as their Lord and Savior those who do not believe in Christ will be like their enemies. It means that those who believe in Him will face persecution from every direction, even from among their own family.

IMO, religion is man's excuse to make war on his fellow for the purpose of gaining resources. It's all about the MONEY.
Forgive me, but I fail to understand how religion is "man's excuse to make war on his fellow for the purpose of gaining resources?"

GraceAbounds

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Religion Kills.

ordinancesnailed02blueguu5.jpg

COOL_BREEZE2

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Now, assuming that this is an accepted definition, we can understand exactly what religion is.

Religion is a set of beliefs.
Religion is a set of practices
Religion is organized around supernatural and moral claims.
Religion is also composed of traditions, culture, and history.

So, it might be said that a religion is the intangible concept written on paper on how a person should act, personally and socially with other people; it might also be orally passed on between generations.

If that is true, then it might be said that anyone could derive their own religion. There are many templates available for use.

If that is true, then it might be said that there was only one religion back in the day.

If such contemplation is fruitful, then it is not possible to exist without religion?

The answer: No. Religion has been ingrained into society to an extent that is irremovable. It might be said that society used to dictate what was right and wrong, which might be said of modern society, but most of what constitutes right and wrong is now left to a particular religion.

If that is true, then it might be said that one could create their own morals, and therefore be protected under such systems of laws of our own, providing such morals and practices of such morals do not infringe upon the rights of others to participate in the set of beliefs and practices of those beliefs.

So, here we are:

Religion is a set of rules.
Religion is practices according to such rules.
Religion can be made by anyone who so desires.
Religion cannot be taken away from the individual.
Religion cannot be forced upon others.
Religion is a decision.

If such is true, then it might be said that I fear for what the future might hold for humanity.

Interesting food for thought ssl.

Re "If that is true, then it might be said that there was only one religion back in the day.

If such contemplation is fruitful, then it is not possible to exist without religion?"

Is it possible to exist without religion? Similarly so...Is it possible to exist without laws? The answer to both may be yes----->but to what degree. Each may play an intrinsic part in maintaining guidelines and order without which there may be chaos.

Oh, and yes. Religion can be forced upon others due to circumstances.

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
I'm sorry but I too have to disagree with original statement that religion isn't violent. World history proves otherwise. You also mention that the books such as the Bible which the religion comes from dosen't encourage violence. I would suggest you read it some more as it certainly does. God committed genocide by wiping out most of human kind in a flood, the Israelites were told to make war on other nations, slaughtering men, women and children and stealing their land. There are numerous other examples in the Bible which encourage violence and intolerance too.

Carthage

Minor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
No. I study the Bible at home.

I should also probably explain that by "study the Bible" I mean I read through the Gospels, and a little of the other sections, with a good awarness of the historical background of the writing and an understanding of the fact that it was MEN who wrote the N.T. part of the Bible 70 years after an obscure religious teacher was killed, and then it was edited by a committee (:willy_nilly:) of women hating dirt poor zealots 10 years after that.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back