What do the Top 10 Poorest Cities in America have in Common?

Users who are viewing this thread

Fox Mulder

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
What do the top ten cities with the highest poverty rate all have in common?

1 .Detroit , MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1961;

2. Buffalo, NY, NY hasn't elected one since 1954;

3. Cincinnati , OH ...since 1984;

4. Cleveland , OH ...since 1989;

5. Miami , FL has never had a Republican mayor;

6. St. Louis , MO .....since 1949;

7. El Paso , TX has never had a Republican mayor;

8. Milwaukee , WI ....since 1908;

9. Philadelphia , PA ...since 1952;

10. Newark , NJ ...since 1907.

Einstein once said, "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

It is the disadvantaged who habitually elect Democrats --- yet are still disadvantaged. :rolleyes:

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Jersey

Mrs. Dontchaknow
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.11z
Hmm.. I'm surprised Miami, Philly, Newark and Milwaukee are among the poorest in the nation.... Where'd that list come from???

Fox Mulder

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Here's the link GP:

Commentary: The poverty of Democrats' ideas for cities - CNN.com

NEW YORK (CNN) -- "I think the best way of doing good to the poor is not making them easy in poverty but leading them or driving them out of it."

What hate-mongering politician would be so politically incorrect as to suggest that things like higher minimum wages and more government handouts don't actually help the poor? I'll identify the culprit at the end of this column, but for now, I'm more interested in figuring out why that statement sounds so controversial.

Poverty is one of the few national issues that, at least on the surface, unites us all. It's not a political condition; it's a human one. After all, when's the last time you've heard a politician campaign on a pro-poverty platform?
But although the problem may unite us, the solutions don't. And perhaps nothing illustrates that better than what's been happening in Detroit, Michigan, and Buffalo, New York.

According to the U.S. Census Bureau, nearly a third of the residents in those cities are living beneath the poverty line, the highest rates among large cities in the entire country.

No matter what side of the political aisle you're on, that is nothing short of appalling. Yet if you ask people what we should do about it, you'll probably hear answers that inexplicably break down right along party lines.

Is there a perfect answer? Probably not. But what bothers me is that people stubbornly stick to their solution, even in the face of overwhelming evidence that it's not working.

For example, Detroit, whose mayor has been indicted on felony charges, hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1961. Buffalo has been even more stubborn. It started putting a Democrat in office back in 1954, and it hasn't stopped since.

Unfortunately, those two cities may be alone at the top of the poverty rate list, but they're not alone in their love for Democrats. Cincinnati, Ohio (third on the poverty rate list), hasn't had a Republican mayor since 1984. Cleveland, Ohio (fourth on the list), has been led by a Democrat since 1989. St. Louis, Missouri (sixth), hasn't had a Republican since 1949, Milwaukee, Wisconsin (eighth), since 1908, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (ninth), since 1952 and Newark, New Jersey (10th), since 1907.

The only two cities in the top 10 that I didn't mention (Miami, Florida, and El Paso, Texas) haven't had Republicans in office either -- just Democrats, independents or nonpartisans.

Over the past 50 years, the eight cities listed above have had Republican leadership for a combined 36 years. The rest of the time -- a combined 364 years -- they've been led by Democrats.

Five of the 10 cities with the highest poverty rates (Detroit, Buffalo, St. Louis, Milwaukee, Philadelphia and Newark) have had a Democratic stranglehold since at least 1961: more than 45 years. Two of the cities (Milwaukee and Newark) have been electing Democrats since the first Model T rolled off the assembly line in 1908.

Two cities, 100 years, all Democrats.

If the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, the asylums in those cities must be as full as the soup kitchens.

Not too long ago, I had the great honor of being invited to a charity dinner hosted by Chris Gardner. He's the guy whose rags-to-riches life was portrayed by Will Smith in the movie "Pursuit of Happyness." Chris had been on my show a few times, and I've always admired his story and his message of hope through personal responsibility.
As I prepared for the dinner and looked into Chris' charity, I started to get nervous. The roster was filled with liberals, most of whom would probably hate me. Hillary Clinton, Mario Cuomo, Alan Alda, Kenneth Cole and Charles Grodin were just a few of the people I was worried about running into.

But the question I kept asking myself was, why? Why can't people from wildly different political stripes come together in support of a common cause without feeling alienated? Why is an issue like poverty "owned" by one political party?
I consider myself a conservative, but I consider myself an American and a human being first. When people whom I normally agree with screw things up, I call them on it. Yet the people in these cities apparently don't. Newark keeps drinking the Kool-Aid, electing the same people with the same ideas, slipping down the poverty list (along with the "Places Never to Visit Unless it's the Airport" list) and wondering why.

We've talked a lot about "change" in this country recently, but there's a much more important catchphrase that we've neglected: "All politics is local." Maybe instead of focusing so much on who we put in charge of our country, we should focus more on who we put in charge of our cities.
Oh, and before I forget. The hateful politician who suggested that we should be "driving" or "leading" the poor out of poverty? It was Benjamin Franklin.

Good thing he never tried to run for mayor of Newark

If its on the Communkst News Network and its railing Democrats, you know it has to be accurate.

Tim

Having way too much fun
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
111.11z
So let me see if I got this right...

Democrat mayor = higher poverty levels?

So you are saying that because the cities are democratically controlled they have a larger population living in poverty? Would it be safe to assume that if these cities had Republican mayors then poverty would somehow disappear? Exactly what is it that the Republicans would do differently to eliminate poverty? Get rid of the unions so companies can pay as little as they want? Hand out boxes of boot straps so everyone can pull themselves out of the gutter? Deregulate big business so they can run their businesses as they see fit? Oh wait, that's exactly what created the mess we are in right now. The mess that will cost the American tax payer trillions of dollars in bail outs.

So it's the democrats fault that these people live in poverty but that is mere peanuts compared to the dollars it will take to fix the financial mess we are in right now. The $85 billion that we are using to bail out AIG links directly back to the republicans and their need for greed.
If the government didn't step in on this one last night, it very well could have led to a complete collapse of our financial institutions in America and that is directly out of the mouth of Ben Bernanke.

And we are supposed to trust the Republicans to fix this mess? I think not... I would much rather this was handled by intelligent people.

Alien Allen

Froggy the Prick
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,206.36z
So let me see if I got this right...

Democrat mayor = higher poverty levels?

So you are saying that because the cities are democratically controlled they have a larger population living in poverty? Would it be safe to assume that if these cities had Republican mayors then poverty would somehow disappear? Exactly what is it that the Republicans would do differently to eliminate poverty? Get rid of the unions so companies can pay as little as they want? Hand out boxes of boot straps so everyone can pull themselves out of the gutter? Deregulate big business so they can run their businesses as they see fit? Oh wait, that's exactly what created the mess we are in right now. The mess that will cost the American tax payer trillions of dollars in bail outs.

So it's the democrats fault that these people live in poverty but that is mere peanuts compared to the dollars it will take to fix the financial mess we are in right now. The $85 billion that we are using to bail out AIG links directly back to the republicans and their need for greed.
If the government didn't step in on this one last night, it very well could have led to a complete collapse of our financial institutions in America and that is directly out of the mouth of Ben Bernanke.

And we are supposed to trust the Republicans to fix this mess? I think not... I would much rather this was handled by intelligent people.

So you blindly dismiss the connection eh? You can not tell me if the tide was turned that you say that the republican mayors were incompetent and just pandering to the poor to keep getting elected.

Both parties suck big time. But the fact the cities with the greatest poverty keep returning the same idiots time after time says a lot. Both about how the sheep keep following and how the leaders dupe their followers. if ever there was a need for change those cities prove it. living just outside the city that is the leader of the pack i can tell you them idiots downtown are doomed. other cities may have a chance but Detroit won't because once the blacks took power they will never give it back. They elect a thug who is corrupt and I guarandamntee ya when his 5 years are up he will claim he is reformed and come back to fuck them over a 2nd time.

Tim

Having way too much fun
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
111.11z
So you blindly dismiss the connection eh? You can not tell me if the tide was turned that you say that the republican mayors were incompetent and just pandering to the poor to keep getting elected.

Both parties suck big time. But the fact the cities with the greatest poverty keep returning the same idiots time after time says a lot. Both about how the sheep keep following and how the leaders dupe their followers. if ever there was a need for change those cities prove it. living just outside the city that is the leader of the pack i can tell you them idiots downtown are doomed. other cities may have a chance but Detroit won't because once the blacks took power they will never give it back. They elect a thug who is corrupt and I guarandamntee ya when his 5 years are up he will claim he is reformed and come back to fuck them over a 2nd time.

It very well could be because the mayors are democratic. I never said it wasn't the cause. But you can't definitively point to the democrats and say it's their fault. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that their are denser populations in major cities. Maybe poorer populations tend to vote for democrats. Maybe it has to do with the very nature of big city living... I don't know :dunno It's impossible to say for sure what the cause is. Maybe if you showed a comparison in one city between a democrat mayor and a republican mayor... I'm not sure that it would change that much.

...other cities may have a chance but Detroit won't because once the blacks took power they will never give it back...

Really? That has got to be one of the most ignorant things I have ever seen you say here. As much as I may disagree with some of your views, I have always respected them/you... but not on this one.

Minor Axis

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
Originally Posted by Alien Allen
...other cities may have a chance but Detroit won't because once the blacks took power they will never give it back...

Really? That has got to be one of the most ignorant things I have ever seen you say here. As much as I may disagree with some of your views, I have always respected them/you... but not on this one.

Hmm, the blacks took power and will never give it back? I guess that confirms Alien is not an Obama man. :humm:

78,866Threads
2,185,227Messages
4,953Members
Back