Inmates: Rights or Privileges

Users who are viewing this thread

boxer810

On permanent vacation... AKA, BANNED
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Okay, I've seen a few threads here and there that touch on the subject of inmates rights. What should be counted as an inmates RIGHT and what should be considered a privilege? The current average cost for one inmates upkeep in the United States is $50,000.00 a year. There are MANY things that inmates have that could be taken away that would drastically reduce that amount. What are your thoughts?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

dt3

Back By Unpopular Demand
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.21z
1. Food.
2. Water
3. Shelter
4. 1 visitor per week (not counting a lawyer)

HottyToddyChick

Toes in the water...
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Ditto.

They don't need food any better than a high school cafeteria and they certainly don't need cable television. Don't know if that's the standard or not, but some places have it. My tax dollars should do nothing more than keep you alive. You shouldn't be enjoying yourself. It's jail.

boxer810

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I've worked as a prison guard for the better part of the last 4 1/2 years. In our prison, and at least 4 others in my state that I've trained at, the inmates had cable TV in their blocks, some prisons they each have their OWN TV in each cell, they have some high dollar food, discounts on name-brand clothing and shoes (IE: A pair of Timberland boots that we pay $200 for, they pay $30) they have expensive gym equipment, all these privileges like going outside 3 times a day, being able to wander around the prison in certain areas, watching movies in a special theater type room in the prison....the list goes on and on!!

HottyToddyChick

Toes in the water...
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
That's just not right. Some people joke about doing something wrong so they can go to jail 'cause they'd have it better than they do now. Jail should be a punishment and an utterly unenjoyable experience so people don't go out and do stupid things hoping to get arrested.

boxer810

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Exactly. There were so many inmates that were repeat offenders, and they would tell you that if they got out, they'd just do something else to get put back in because they were homeless. In NC there's no longer a Habitual Felon law so these creeps can do shit over and over again without worry of a harsher punishment. Prisons in NC are a JOKE.

Pudding Time

Banned
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I don't see anything wrong with a TV, nor books or things they need for a hobby (guitar, art supplies, soccer ball, etc). I don't like them getting name brand clothes. Prisons should not allow outside clothes for inmates. They should only be dressed in prison garb.

Nice food doesn't cost much, so there's no reason not to feed them decent meals.

boxer810

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
TV's are not the problem, but do they need cable with movie channels? No. A gym is fine, but do they need the most expensive, up to date equipment? No. They aren't allowed to have outside clothing, everything has to be purchased or issued from the prison. However, Timberland boots, New Balance sneakers, Haynes tee shirts and underwear, etc are made available to them for a grossly discounted price. They are allowed to have inmate accounts and they go to Canteen 3 times a week where they can buy food and clothing for grossly discounted prices. Ridiculous.

Pudding Time

Banned
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
They shouldn't have money while in prison.. each prisoner should be given exactly what each other prisoner gets, with there being expections like vegitarians, or those with reactions to certain other things. They should not have buy to buy other things. Prison should be a classless society.

Elle

Banned
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I've worked as a prison guard for the better part of the last 4 1/2 years. In our prison, and at least 4 others in my state that I've trained at, the inmates had cable TV in their blocks, some prisons they each have their OWN TV in each cell, they have some high dollar food, discounts on name-brand clothing and shoes (IE: A pair of Timberland boots that we pay $200 for, they pay $30) they have expensive gym equipment, all these privileges like going outside 3 times a day, being able to wander around the prison in certain areas, watching movies in a special theater type room in the prison....the list goes on and on!!

Prison, or a correctional institution?

Big difference between the two...

SRC

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
These ar emy thoughts on inmates that have been sentenced to "time" in prison .. minimal stays in regular jails .. are a little different imo.

Time to bath everyday

Unlimited toilet access

Proper nutrition (no junk food) 2-3 times a day and unlimted access to water

60 min of recreation time a day

Access to educational materials (ie books, educational programs on dvd, ect) during their recreation time if they so choose

Access to religious activities during their recreational time if they so choose

Cleaning clothing and clean bed linens everyday

Visitation once a week (unless they have children, then perhaps twice week .. mainly for the kids welfare not the inmates)

Access to medications (ie, aspirin, ibuphrofin, ect) if needed

Weekly phone call priviliedges (daily just ends up running an unnecessary bill up for their families)

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
Depends a lot of what the prisoner is inside for and how well they behave. Things like tvs arn't a right but a privilege which should be earnt through good behavior. There does need to be some minimal amount of recreation at least for prisoners though. Boredom leads to violence and riots which endangers prison officers even more and costs the tax payer even more money to keep them there. It's simple over here. Prisoners get a basic portable tv in their cell, if they break a rule they lose it. It's motivational and has cut violence in prisons drastically.
As far as basic rights go though and I'm talking here for the worst behaved prisoners, I say adequate bedding, food, drink, heating, toilet facilities, washing products, hygiene, clothing, a sink with hot and cold water, access to a shower every day, medical service, visits, mail service and writing material, at least an hour of exercise a day, access to religious services and access to books.

All Else Failed

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Okay, I've seen a few threads here and there that touch on the subject of inmates rights. What should be counted as an inmates RIGHT and what should be considered a privilege? The current average cost for one inmates upkeep in the United States is $50,000.00 a year. There are MANY things that inmates have that could be taken away that would drastically reduce that amount. What are your thoughts?
Even if they are criminals, they still fall under many human rights both nationally and internationally. Although, some of those rights can and should be revoked upon being in prison.

Prison shouldn't be easy, but it also should be a "concentration camp".

Want to lessen that much money being spent? Don't send non-violent offenders to jail.

These ar emy thoughts on inmates that have been sentenced to "time" in prison .. minimal stays in regular jails .. are a little different imo.

Time to bath everyday

Unlimited toilet access

Proper nutrition (no junk food) 2-3 times a day and unlimted access to water

60 min of recreation time a day

Access to educational materials (ie books, educational programs on dvd, ect) during their recreation time if they so choose

Access to religious activities during their recreational time if they so choose

Cleaning clothing and clean bed linens everyday

Visitation once a week (unless they have children, then perhaps twice week .. mainly for the kids welfare not the inmates)

Access to medications (ie, aspirin, ibuphrofin, ect) if needed

Weekly phone call priviliedges (daily just ends up running an unnecessary bill up for their families)
These are good.

I have to stress LEARNING programs though. I believe these prisoners will improve if they are better educated and well read.

boxer810

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Even if they are criminals, they still fall under many human rights both nationally and internationally. Although, some of those rights can and should be revoked upon being in prison.

Prison shouldn't be easy, but it also should be a "concentration camp".

Want to lessen that much money being spent? Don't send non-violent offenders to jail.

Wrong. WRONG on so many levels. So you think that if a man goes and robs a bank in the middle of the night, NON-VIOLENTLY, he shouldn't have to go to prison?? Are you KIDDING? There is STILL a set amount of money being spent PER INMATE a year....lessening the number of inmates doesn't change that!

boxer810

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Correctional Institutions here in NC, and every other state as far as I know, and prisons, are one in the same. There are county jails reserved for inmates that haven't been convicted yet, or have sentences less than 60 days. There are certain conversion houses that each state offers to help an inmate crossover from being an inmate to a citizen again though. My step-mother is a counselor in one such house, these are good investments in my opinion.

The inmates are given certain times to have access to books and things, they are actually given the opportunity to attend regular highs school/college classes in the prison. These I don't consider privileges, education is a necessity.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back