Do you keep in touch with your ex?

Users who are viewing this thread

Grumpy

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
There's one girl that I'm still in contact with that I dated for about 18 months in high school. I wouldn't really describe us as the best of friends, but we talk and reminisce every now and then. It only really ended because we both wanted separate things lifestyle wise and ended up moving away from each other, although looking back on it it was silly as we only moved about 40 miles apart and we could've easily managed to keep things going... ah well!

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

Mika

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.05z
I don't find it strange to still be in contact with your ex is the relationship ended on a good note. I think people think badly of it because they're too insecure about rekindling and what could happen. If the relationship ended, that means that the two people weren't compatible as partners. It doesn't really mean they can't be good friends, they're just no good as a pair.

I still talk to one of my ex's from time to time. After we broke up we still spoke quite often, in fact just as much as when we were together. We just happened to grow apart over the years and that's the only reason we're not in constant contact anymore. I did keep in contact with one of my other ex's, but the same sort of thing happened and I lost his number so we don't talk anymore.

If it ended badly or one side was really clingy and didn't want to break up, I don't think it's good to stay friends. It will cause unneeded heartache and might never feel right to be around that person. If the couple broke up for a more serious reason like cheating or abuse, they should stay apart period.

Natasha

La entrepierna de fuego
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,337.15z
I know everybody probably says this, but I honestly couldn't imagine not still talking to my current boyfriend if we break up. We were both really apprehensive getting into our relationship and we've taken things really slow and developed a good friendship beyond our boyfriend/girlfriend relationship. I can't imagine not being able to vent to him.

HELLOnamesdana

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.03z
I keep in touch somewhat with one guy who I was in somewhat of a relationship with a few months ago. We both said we were going to be friends, even though he got a new girlfriend, but I know that she doesn't like me and I know that he doesn't want to upset her, so we really don't talk much. Other than that, no.

Natasha

La entrepierna de fuego
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,337.15z
Very weird, but I got a message from an ex today (we're FB friends) telling me that I should get both pairs of the leggings I posted b/c "they're fucking sexy." We made general chit chat and he mentioned that things seemed pretty serious with my boyfriend. I said that it's been wonderful and he said "that's great, but I hate to give you up." I told him that it was time, though, and he agreed. Then he said he was really happy for me and that he's glad I'm happy b/c I'm a great girl. It was sweet.

Muthoni

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I have absolutely no contact with my ex for a few years now. He married someone when he was still dating me. I felt so betrayed that I did not talk to him for a long time. I have met with him by coincidence on the streets and we said a cheerful hello. He even gave me lunch money. I guess we have moved on. It sounds like you have a good relationship with your ex.

azrmacc

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Yeah I keep touch with some of them. Really, we have no issue whatsoever. But that's because at the time when we were together, we were young, not to mention we broke up because of something childish anyway. One of my exes used to be a good friend of mine too before we got together as a couple, so breaking up meant just going back to being friends.

blueeyes

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
On the whole the only ex I still have contact with is my ex husband and the reason for that is we share a child. Several of the others were abusive men and the thought of even seeing them sends chills down my spine, so there is definitely no contact with them.

xTinx

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I used to communicate with my so-called ex for about two years from the day we "theoretically" broke up. I realized however that some exes couldn't really stay friends with you. Constant interaction will only make them hope that things will once more be the way it was. So rather than giving false hopes, I decided to end the connection. That way, he'll be able to find someone else and grow.

Jordan

I'm useless. I know.
Administrator
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,017.96z
Of course I do. xD None of my break ups has ever been in a negative way. For the most part, I'm still friends with my exs.

RomanAnthonysMama

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I would only keep in touch with an ex on a friendship level if I was single. I would not be comfortable with someone I was dating keeping in touch with an ex under most circumstances, so I would respect them by doing the same, and not talking to exes. I don't think it's bad to keep in touch with ex partners if your current partner is alright with it, but it's just not something I could do, and not something I would be okay with someone I'm dating doing.

primalclaws1974

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
I had one really long first marriage, and have been in a long second, and still am. I had a few short-term girlfriends in between. I had a couple of the girlfriends on Facebook (not the ex-wife though). I lived with one of them for about a year, so I guess she felt like she still had some power over me. We argued one too many time, and that was that. She unfriended me, and I blocked her. The other one I still have on my list, but we rarely talk.

LitoLawless

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I don't really keep in contact with any of my exes. There are a couple that I follow on social media, but for the most part I just stay out of their lives and they do the same to me.

HELLOnamesdana

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.03z
The closest thing I ever had to a boyfriend was a long distance relationship that lasted 10 months. We broke up because he cheated on me and we didn't talk for months until he broke up with his girlfriend. All of the sudden we're talking again. I have no interest in being with him again, but it's nice to talk to him again as friends.

Mockingbird

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
I normally try to remain cordial to anyone I have been involved with. You just don't know what can happen in the future. This is true with just about everyone except my ex husband. I have tried to remain decent but he just wants to continue to fight. Heavens it has been well over a decade and he is on his third marriage, he should get over it you would think. I believe it is just because he got caught and booted out.

Usually right around a holiday or something he would show up saying he wanted to see our son. Then he would start all over again. Occasionally in the very beginning I would get these random phone calls. That hasn't happened in years. Sincerely if I never saw him again I would not care, I have gone on with my life.

Gemma

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
My long-term partner and I are both friends with some of our exes. Some of us can all hang out as a group. Sometimes just we or they go out to do stuff together. He and I never seem to have problems with it. It's so sad to see long term friendships break up because a current partner finds out that two people used to date and freaks out about them still being friends. I just don't understand it. We're not the only couple in our social group who is still friendly with our exes to the point of communicating and doing stuff so for us, it's the 'normal' thing to do. Our exes played a part in our lives and we care about what happens to them even though we're no longer dating them. Of course we stay in contact. It just seems natural to us.

Peachdejour

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
My current partner has been really great as my daughter and I grieve over the death of one of my exes that really had a big part of both of our lives. I feel really lucky to be in such a healthy relationship that he does not feel threatened by my exploring my grief and my daughters grief as a natural process of emotions. I feel bad for the 4 kids he left behind. Poor babies.

78,864Threads
2,185,191Messages
4,953Members
Back