College Football thread

Users who are viewing this thread

robdawg1

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
ummm...have you watched college football? Alabama, LSU, UGA, SC, FL just to name a few have been floating in the top ten with no support from the BCS for years! The BCS is just now starting to catch up to the fact that not only is the SEC the best conference, but it is also the most difficult conference to be in because all these high calibur teams have to play eachother during the year!!!

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

retro

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
ummm...have you watched college football? Alabama, LSU, UGA, SC, FL just to name a few have been floating in the top ten with no support from the BCS for years! The BCS is just now starting to catch up to the fact that not only is the SEC the best conference, but it is also the most difficult conference to be in because all these high calibur teams have to play eachother during the year!!!

Oh Lord, another delusional SEC fan... I'm not sure if I really have the time or energy to get into it with another one of you guys at the moment, but we'll start with this.

ESPN and the SEC pretty much game the system... we end up with multiple SEC teams in the top 5 to start every season. Why? Oh, because they're in the SEC. When an SEC team loses to another SEC team, the argument is that's because the SEC is tough... but when MWC loses to MWC, it just shows that the team that lost wasn't very good to begin with. ESPN has taught the country to believe that the SEC is superior to every other conference, and so the majority of people happily buy into that garbage and perpetuate it. Why does the SEC get a lot of the best recruits? Because kids grow up hearing on ESPN that the SEC is the best, which gives them more talent, and perpetuates the myth that the SEC is the superior conference... because ESPN tells us it is.

Now, let's look at your argument that the reason the SEC is so great is because of Bama, LSU, Georgia, SC and Florida, okay... I'll give you the fact that those programs are mostly traditional powerhouses and have had recent success. But let's look at the recent records of the rest of your precious conference.

2007-2011
Kentucky - 33-31
Mississippi State - 33-30
Ole Miss - 27-35
Tennessee - 33-31
Vanderbilt - 22-40

So, looking at that, we've got a pretty mediocre to bad bottom half of the conference... and a strong enough middle with Auburn, Arkansas, A&M, and Mizzou. Let's say that the top 4-5 schools in the conference always beat up on the bottom schools, there's a good 3 automatic wins every season. Then you have to go look at the non-conference scheduling employed by the "big boys" of the SEC, and that's where things get to be largely laughable.

Florida hasn't left the state of Florida for a non-conference game since 1991, yup that's pretty impressive right there. The only non-conference away games that Florida schedules for every other year is their game against Florida State... that's a pretty scary 2.5 hour away game, I'll tell you what. Now let's look at the non-conference opponents that they've scheduled from 2007-2011.

Western Kentucky
Troy (2x)
FAU (2x)
Hawai'i
Miami (FL)
Citadel
Florida State (annually)
Charleston Southern
FIU
Miami (OH)
USF
Appalacian State
UAB
Furman

Man, those are some really powerhouse programs that they face off with... I know I'm impressed with all of those bodybag games at home. Every other year, Florida plays EVERY OUT OF CONFERENCE GAME AT HOME, so there's some serious home field advantage right there. With the quality of opponents that Florida faces off with, they're all but guaranteed of an additional 3 victories every single season. So for those that are keeping track at home, that's 6-7 nearly automatic victories every single season against teams that provide little to no competition. They've won their non-Florida State out of conference games by an average score of 50-11, yup... they're really scheduling quality teams to play. Oh wait, no they aren't... they're scheduling nearly automatic wins... generally an FCS program and two Sun Belt teams to beat the fuck up on.

Now we have to consider the argument that y'all just beat up on each other... that could be true, except for the fact that your "powers" pretty much consist of Florida and Georgia in the East and Alabama and LSU in the West. Yes, SC and Auburn have been good in recent years, as has Arkansas... but I'm considering them in the top middle of the conference. Well, due to the fact that there are only two "top" teams in each division, they're only guaranteed of one "tough" game every season against one of the other top teams. Yes, there are seasons when a team might have to face both of the good teams on the other side of the conference, but that doesn't happen every year.

So to review, we generally have 3 cupcake out of conference games, a decent OOC opponent, 4 games games against cupcakes in the conference, and then 4 games against most likely 2 good teams and 2 better than average teams. Hmm, doesn't really seem like the SEC is actually all that tough after all. You pretty much have 7 guaranteed wins for the top four teams in the conference, and 5-6 for the better than average teams, no wonder so many of your teams go to bowl games.

Back to my point earlier bout preseason rankings. Do you honestly believe that it's intellectually honest to have preseason rankings? How do you really know anything about a college team from year to year due to coaching changes, graduations, early NFL departures, etc. Perfect case in point for this season is Arkansas... they had a preseason ranking of 10 in both polls, and then they went out and beat FCS Jacksonville State to open up the season, and were then rewarded by being bumped up to #8 in the AP poll and stayed at #10 in the Coaches Poll. Then they followed that up by losing to Louisiana fucking Monroe, a Sun Belt team... how do the pollsters respond? By ranking them #27 in the AP poll (second in also receiving votes behind Boise) and they were still #21 in the Coaches Poll? Why the hell would they still get ANY votes after losing to one of the Louisiana hyphenated schools? WHY? Oh that's right, they're in the SEC.

Let's compare that to the treatment of USC this season. They started off as the preseason #1 in the AP Poll and were #2 in the Coaches Poll. They came out and laid a beating on Hawai'i 49-10 to open up the year. How did the pollsters respond? By jumping Alabama over them due to their "impressive" win over a Michigan team that nearly got beaten by Air Force the following week. Then USC beat Syracuse in somewhat less than impressive fashion, but it was still a double-digit win... and they got jumped by LSU in the Coaches Poll... cause LSU has really beaten some impressive teams so far this year... North Texas, Washington, and Idaho... all at home, and they'll add another powerhouse OOC team in FCS Towson after playing @ Auburn this week. Now USC gets beaten by Stanford this last week... they get dropped from 2/3 to 13/12, compared to Arkansas' drop from 8/10 to 27/21. Arkansas gets beaten, at home, by a Sun Belt team and they only drop 13 spots in the Coaches Poll while USC loses on the road to #21/16 Stanford and drops 9 spots. Why wasn't Arkansas dropped further? Oh wait, cause they're in the SEC.

I've got a whole ton more material, but I figure this is enough for the time being... usually the only response that SEC fans give is to scoff and say I'm wrong, jealous, or something equally lame.

retro

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I could like to clarify one thing though... I don't think that the SEC is a horrible conference, quite the contrary. I merely do not buy into the ESPN and other media created hype that they're the undisputed kings of college football. That moniker is something that has been created for them, and not something that is accurate.

robdawg1

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
You made a good point. I respect that. I am a UGA Dawg born raised and graduated. I have alot of pride in my team and my conference. I have seen them do well year after year, and it seems to me that the conference only recently started to get recognition from the BCS in recent years.

I dont have the stats and research that you do so I respectfully lay down my king!

robdawg1

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
But I did just read a little and it seems that we are 60/44 in bowl games since 1988 against non SEC schools, but in regular season we are only 81/77 against non SEC. They are both winning records but not dominating records.

Alien Allen

Froggy the Prick
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,206.36z
Some interesting points about the SEC

one though that is not worthy of noting though is the non conference schedule.

In football most teams play almost all their non con games at home and against cupcakes. Because they are easy wins and they get more revenue playing at home.

Only way I see that changing is with a playoff system with several teams in it. In many years one loss is a death sentence when it comes to getting a title shot. That would not be the case with a playoff system where lets say 8 teams were in it.

I do think the SEC deserves most of the attention it gets. At least in the last few years.

Maulds

Accidental Bastard
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
He isn't delusional, when your conference wins six national titles in a row you get to boast a little. And the SEC isn't the only conference that likes to schedule OOC cupcake teams. Florida State isnt an SEC school and they have faced Murray St and Savannah State. I'm sure USC expected Hawaii and Syracuse to be top notch competition when they booked them. Oregon has played Arkansas St and Tennessee Tech (from right here in my town). I admit Alabama has some lamers in W KY and FL Atlantic but we also scheduled Michigan, you know the winningest football program in college football.

I make no apologies for Florida, fuck'em

Natasha

La entrepierna de fuego
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,396.70z
Damn, Fred, it's a tough year to be an Auburn fan, ain't it??? I ain't hating...it's not always easy being a bulldog fan, either. That could've been a good last 2 1/2 minutes of that game, but damn.

Oh God, I can't believe I'm about to root for Florida. *smh* After that anal penetration w/ no lubrication SC gave us a few weeks ago, I can't root for the Gamecocks.

robdawg1

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Glad Florida beat SC, now we have to ...bwahhhaaaa...beat....snorts, tee heeee...Florida next week....sorry my insanity coming out. but we can.....snork....hahahaaaa....do it!

Maulds

Accidental Bastard
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I can't figure out Florida and SoCar and LSU. Weird triangle there.Florida is up to #2 already and received a 1st place vote this week.

robdawg1

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I can't believe I rooted for the Gators yesterday. *smh*

it hurt...believe me it hurt....alm,ost as much as watching how crappy UGA played against KY...while realising this is the team that has to beat FL to get to the SEC championship to play....ALABAMA....OH GEEZE or maybe miss state....depends on who wins that game....who saw the other bull dogs coming?

Natasha

La entrepierna de fuego
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,396.70z
it hurt...believe me it hurt....alm,ost as much as watching how crappy UGA played against KY...while realising this is the team that has to beat FL to get to the SEC championship to play....ALABAMA....OH GEEZE or maybe miss state....depends on who wins that game....who saw the other bull dogs coming?

We let KY give us a lot of trouble last year, too.

78,866Threads
2,185,220Messages
4,953Members
Back