Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Abcinthia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
lol ummm... no that means Children is books, I think it's childrens' because that means it's a posseisve verb, right? or is it just childrens?

No it doesn't. It means children own the book. Another example would be Katie's book. I'm not saying I am a book, I am saying I own the book.

DuhhhBlond

Duhhhlicious Pants Lady
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
aw, sorry about your Daddy, GW

a good book I read after my Mom died was Motherless Daughters by Hope Edelmen
(though it's not a child's book)

Goat Whisperer

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Aha! I googled apostrphies for dummies. :D

It says that in a singular noun it comes before an s ('s, Ex. my aunt's pen) and in a plural it comes after (s', the gerbils' tiny teeth)

Because Bill doesn't own everything: Plural possessives

You'd be finished figuring out apostrophes now if everything belonged to only one owner. Bill Gates is close, but even he hasn't taken over everything yet. You still need to deal with plural owners. The plurals of most English nouns — anything greater than one — already end with the letter s. To show ownership, all you do is add an apostrophe after the s. Take a look at these examples:
ten gerbils' tiny teeth (the tiny teeth belong to ten gerbils)
many dinosaurs' petrified teeth (the petrified teeth belong to a herd of dinosaurs)
a thousand sword swallowers' sliced teeth (the sliced teeth belong to a thousand sword swallowers)

Abcinthia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
But I thought the apostrophe before an S always meant that it was is: 's =is :confused

Becuase because it can also be has. Apostraphes don't always mean the word has been contracted. Like Duhhh said they are posessive.

They can be after the s if the word is pluralised, eg:
cats' toys = the toys of many cats
cat's toys = toy of one cat
cat's on the mat = cat is on the mat.

Goat Whisperer

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Becuase because it can also be has. Apostraphes don't always mean the word has been contracted. Like Duhhh said they are posessive.

They can be after the s if the word is pluralised, eg:
cats' toys = the toys of many cats
cat's toys = toy of one cat
cat's on the mat = cat is on the mat.

But doesn't childrens count as plural?

I hate the english language...

Abcinthia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Yes, I know children is plural, so if you added an s, wouldn't it be childrens' like gerbils'?

No becuase gerbil is a singular and gerbils is the plural. You only put the apostraphe after the s for plurals that end with an s. Children doesn't end with an s, so the apostraphe goes before the s.

78,866Threads
2,185,215Messages
4,953Members
Back