Children's Books

Users who are viewing this thread

Sneakiecat

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
thats ok Amber if hes looking at the pictures it still helps him, have you asked him to read to you? Kids love that! And stick with it he will come around just keep asking him if you can read to him :)

He looks at the pictures but he won't let me see what's in them to ask him to point out stuff. He gets really offended when I look over his shoulder. He like reading one book to me, solely because it's counting bugs and he loves counting. I'm not worried about it. He knows his number 1-10 and knows several letters already. He's too smart for his own good.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Abcinthia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Dominic won't hold still long enough for me to read to him. Or he wants to read the book by himself and won't let me look at it or point out things. He got a little too independent a little too fast.

Imogen doesn't sit still long enough for a whole story during the day. Normally I'll read about half a book to her and then she'll get a bit bored and we'll go through the rest of the book looking at the pictures. She likes to pretend to read as well.

At night I read to her and she's going to sleep so just listens. I've read all the Harry Potter books to her and The Secret Garden.

DuhhhBlond

Duhhhlicious Pants Lady
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
At night I read to her and she's going to sleep so just listens.

same here with 15 month old grandson, Bug..
during the day he'll turn all the pages before we can read them, backwards..
but at night or naptime, he just lies there and listens

Abcinthia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I think I started when Imogen was about 1. I just thought it was important to read to her and I thought a bedtime reading routine would be nice.

What makes me sad is the amount of people who don't read to their kids at all :( My mum read to me loads as a kid and then when I was old enough to read, I had to read to her while she cooked dinner or something, but she still read me a chapter of a book before bed.

DuhhhBlond

Duhhhlicious Pants Lady
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
found this in American Baby Magazine:

Q. My 18-month-old used to love to look at books. Now he's so busy running around that he doesn't want to sit still to read. I'm worried that my son won't grow up to be a reader.

A. Toddlers delight in what their bodies can do -- walking, running, jumping, sliding. So it's perfectly normal that sitting still to hear a story may not be at the top of your son's list. But if you can't beat 'em, join 'em: Instead of expecting him to sit down to read a story, incorporate reading into activities. What's most important for developing early literacy skills is a love of books. It doesn't matter whether your son holds the book upside down, always picks the same two books, or does somersaults as you read to him.
First, look for books that feature actions or motions. For example, there are several storybook versions of the "Wheels on the Bus" song that you and your child can act out together.
Instead of reading a story, tell your child a tale -- that way, your son can run around while you spin a yarn. You can crib from your child's favorite books or pull from your own childhood exploits. You'll also find that your toddler loves to hear about when he was a little baby, "once upon a time, very long ago."
Singing and playing music can also foster your son's love of words, sounds, and rhyme. Look for songs that are conducive to dancing, marching, spinning, and bouncing.

GracefulIvory

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
My mom read me:

Little House on the Prairie Series
Anne of Green Gables Series
The Boxcar Children Series
Harry Potter
Eric Carle
Roald Dahl
Little Women

Tainted Halo

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I was brought up on Enid Blyton, If she wrote it i've probably had it read to me as a child. I think The Faraway Tree would be my fave.

pandandesign

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I like the Goosebump series, which is entertaining. My favorite children's book is Charlotte's Web and Bridge to Terabithia. Both endings of the books are very sad. The movie adaptation of Bridge to Terabithia is good too.

Denis Hard

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
No one chose my books for me:

The Griffin Pirate Stories.
Willard Price Adventure books.
A little bit of Secret Seven.
Grimm's fairy tales.

Those are the memorable ones. But of course there were others. . .

78,866Threads
2,185,215Messages
4,953Members
Back