Your favorite actor/actress and their best role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Margene

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I looked back a couple pages, didn't see this topic.

Who is one of your favorite actor/actresses and what role did you most appreciate them in?

To start with for me:

Gene Hackman in Mississippi Burning or The Unforgiven.

Terrific performances. Even in his smaller roles, he rocks.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Dakota Jim

Banned
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Well, I have to say Henery Fonda in "On Golden Pond"....runner up...Billy Bob Thorton in "spring blade".... Oh and Jessica Tandy in "Driving Miss Daisy".

Last edited by a moderator:

Margene

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Well, I have to say Henery Fonda in "On Golden Pond"....runner up...Billy Bob Thorton in "spring blade"....

Ohhhhhhhh YES!! Henry was great! I haven't seen that movie in a year or so, but whenever it's on, I'm captivated!

Soon as I can, I'm watching Billy Bob after you recommended it last night. Sounds like a terrific film. :)

Margene

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Well, I have to say Henery Fonda in "On Golden Pond"....runner up...Billy Bob Thorton in "spring blade".... Oh and Jessica Tandy in "Driving Miss Daisy".

Oh, ya snuck Jessica in there!

She's a gem! I loved her in that role and just about everything else I saw her in. What a terrific actress. :)

Margene

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Al Pacino in Scent Of A Woman - Absolute masterpiece of a performance.

Indeed! I've seen it recently and I agree. His tango, made me want to learn that absurd dance. He does it with so much heart, more so than professionals. It was a superb role and performance.

Anie

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Cary Grant in North by Northwest

James Stewart in To kill a mockingbird, Harvey and a wonderful life

Audrey Hepburn, all of her films

Margene

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Cary Grant in North by Northwest

James Stewart in To kill a mockingbird, Harvey and a wonderful life

Audrey Hepburn, all of her films

Ohhhhhhhh great films with great performances! Did you see I put Jimmy's kiss in Wonderful Life in my favorite screen kisses thread?

So surprising that such a kiss was in that film. That is the only take they did of that scene and it was shot not in close up, but the director knew he has something special, so he didn't try it again and had the film editor "blow it up" to close up. Awesome! :)

Anie

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I think back then they had no fear putting the content in the film, back then was very suggesstive but there was hardly any imagery of it, now we have the imagery over a great story, plot and performance, I hate how imagery waters down words :(

Margene

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
How 'bout Robert Ne Niro "Goodfellows" "You talkin to me?"

Ohhhhhhhh man!! I love DeNiro and I love that film! It's violent, but it's one of my alltime favorites. Martine Scocese is an awesome director/film maker and with talent like DeNiro...no wonder!:thumbup:thumbup:thumbup

Margene

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I think back then they had no fear putting the content in the film, back then was very suggesstive but there was hardly any imagery of it, now we have the imagery over a great story, plot and performance, I hate how imagery waters down words :(

Excellent observation Anie!! I think that is spot on. The suggestion is always more powerful than the actual "act". Like in Psycho. Hitchcock never showed Janet Leigh naked nor the knife cutting her. Yet it still reigns as one of the most terrifying scenes in film history.

You're repped! :)

Dakota Jim

Banned
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z

Yes, suggestion was more powerful than the graphics of today.

Anie

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I remember observing those films, particulary about women and their roles, there was spousal abuse, rape, one film about a nympho, a psychotic, hooker, slave and other demeaning roles, they never showed the imagery but they did suggest, which we all agreed... more powerful.

Grin

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I LOVED Julia Ormond in 'Sabrina' and 'Legends of the Fall.' I wonder what's happened to her?

Mary Stuart Masterson was fantastic in 'Fried Green Tomatoes.'

I will never, ever tire of watching or listening to Christopher Walken. The man is a genuis, as is Johnny Depp.

Morgan Freeman always delivers, too.

Great thread, Margey! :thumbup

Anie

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
The 90's version of Sabrina made me want to rip all of them to shreds.... they destroyed that classic :|

78,865Threads
2,185,203Messages
4,953Members
Back