work out people

Users who are viewing this thread

OUZBnd

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
I don't know anything about cal. intake other than in order to lose weight you should burn more than you consume. Pop is a killer tho as far as weight is concerned. I quit drinking it. I read that if you cut one can a day you could (potentially) lose 14lbs in a year if you do the cal. calculation. I've also read that by adding 1lb of lean muscle mass you will burn something like 50 cal just by having that muscle, not neccesarily training it.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Trance97

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I don't know anything about cal. intake other than in order to lose weight you should burn more than you consume. Pop is a killer tho as far as weight is concerned. I quit drinking it. I read that if you cut one can a day you could (potentially) lose 14lbs in a year if you do the cal. calculation. I've also read that by adding 1lb of lean muscle mass you will burn something like 50 cal just by having that muscle, not neccesarily training it.

You're right on everything you said.

TheOriginalJames

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z

Yeah, pop/soda is a big one. I bet if I stopped drinking 2-3 cans a day I'd lose 14 lbs. Don't need to, so my intake will be the same.

BreakfastSurreal

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.38z
yeah i dont really drink sodas much. Or pop as you weirdos call it :p Maybe I should drop down to 1200 a day? hmm i dunno, i still want to stay healthy. I need to get some nutrition and fitness books so i can read up on what the experts say.

Jersey

Mrs. Dontchaknow
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.11z
soooo... i hadda pee REAAAAAAAAAAAALLLY bad when i got home... and i ran to the bathroom and tugged on my jeans... and they slid off without unbuttoning them!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

BreakfastSurreal

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.38z
also is there a way to tell how many cals you are burning when you are lifting? I know I get anywhere between 400-500 burned during cardio but weights im not sure.

BreakfastSurreal

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.38z
soooo... i hadda pee REAAAAAAAAAAAALLLY bad when i got home... and i ran to the bathroom and tugged on my jeans... and they slid off without unbuttoning them!!!

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

WOW thats awesome heather! wooohooo! Seeing results is awesome! :) dont worry if the scale doesn't show it yet, you are probably building lots of muscle right now!

Jersey

Mrs. Dontchaknow
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.11z
i dont own a scale, nor do i get on one at the gym.... its annoying, especially when you think youve lost like 50lbs from working out so hard... and then you gain 3... EFFFFF that... the pants tell the story

so my "sister" and i are doing kickboxing tomorrow night! hopefully my years of taebo will pay off and i wont make a complete ass of myself!

BreakfastSurreal

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.38z
kickboxing is fun! I have been wanting to go to some classes at my gym but none of the times have worked out for me...but I'm gonna try and work something in this week. Anyone know of any good websites with workout tips? lol

Trance97

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
also is there a way to tell how many cals you are burning when you are lifting? I know I get anywhere between 400-500 burned during cardio but weights im not sure.

You burn way less than cardio. Lifiting you're toning muscles. Cardio you're working the heart which, burns fat = calories.

I heard people burn about 400-600 calories a day without working out. (just doing what you do everyday) You also burn around 400 calories sleeping. This is depending on person to person of course.

BreakfastSurreal

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.38z
i know its not significant, but if im lifting for 30-45 mins thats gotta be burning something..at least 30 calories or something you'd think. That still counts for something. Sooo basicallly...hypothetically, if i burn 400 sleeping..and 400 during the day...plus 400 working out...thats 1200. And that would mean I'd need to eat LESS than 1200 cals a day..and from what i have heard that is pretty unhealthy..i dont have time to increase my workout length, maybe i should push for a higher resistance on the eliptical to burn more cals...

White2000GT

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
i know its not significant, but if im lifting for 30-45 mins thats gotta be burning something..at least 30 calories or something you'd think. That still counts for something. Sooo basicallly...hypothetically, if i burn 400 sleeping..and 400 during the day...plus 400 working out...thats 1200. And that would mean I'd need to eat LESS than 1200 cals a day..and from what i have heard that is pretty unhealthy..i dont have time to increase my workout length, maybe i should push for a higher resistance on the eliptical to burn more cals...

You're right Clare. Anything less than 1200 calories a day and you are setting yourself up for disaster. Keep in mind that if you decrease your caloric intake by too much then you won't have the energy to work out anyway. And that would be contrary to your interest. Simply burning tons of calories isn't gonna do the trick. Diet has a huge impact on it too. I think it was mentioned before, but cutting down on your sugar intake such as Cokes (that's what they are called... not soda or pop... everything is a Coke :D ) and other sugary or otherwise fat filled snacks is the best place to start. Make sure you are eating a good balanced diet and getting plenty of fluids (especially water). Just keep doing what you are doing!!!

BreakfastSurreal

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.38z
the only thing I am not happy with concerning how healthy my diet is, is the amount of sodium I intake. I usually eat 2 lean cuisines or smart ones a day...or sometimes i have one of those for a meal, and a lean pocket for another meal. I am so addicted to convenience it is unreal. Where I used to stuff my face with fast food or restaurant food, I now use microwave dinners. I really hate cooking, and I think spending 30 mins in the kitchen is WAY too long. So the sodium is kind of a sacrifice I have to make. One lean cuisine usually has around 500-700 mg of sodium. I talked to someone and while they say this is a lot, it will only cause water retention, and not actually keep me from seeing results over the long run.

Trance97

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
the only thing I am not happy with concerning how healthy my diet is, is the amount of sodium I intake. I usually eat 2 lean cuisines or smart ones a day...or sometimes i have one of those for a meal, and a lean pocket for another meal. I am so addicted to convenience it is unreal. Where I used to stuff my face with fast food or restaurant food, I now use microwave dinners. I really hate cooking, and I think spending 30 mins in the kitchen is WAY too long. So the sodium is kind of a sacrifice I have to make. One lean cuisine usually has around 500-700 mg of sodium. I talked to someone and while they say this is a lot, it will only cause water retention, and not actually keep me from seeing results over the long run.

That's a lot of sodium. Ramen noodles are worse though. I think they are in the 1000's. Anyways, salt will keep in water, which is bad. Instead of drinking juice or pop with every meal replace it with water. Water is 0 calories, and it is does many other wonders, like replenishes(sp) your organs.

BreakfastSurreal

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.38z
you guys are preaching water to me...i don't really drink much else. Granted, I don't drink ENOUGH water..but I do only drink water, unless I am drinking a coke zero, which is usually only once or twice a week. But yes, Water is key! :) Thanks guys.

Today...I was kinda in a bad mood because I was waiting for my roommate to get home to go to the gym with me. We were going to go at 6, but his ex gf from a city an hour away was coming over to see him, and she wasn't supposed to come till 8, but she called when she was halfway here at like 5:45...so I told him I'd wait till he got home, he said it would be at 9...well 9:15, and no Billy..so I call, and he tells me he's spending the night with her (grr because...well ill make a post in relationships in a sec about this) and he didn't even bother telling me until I called HIM. Oh well. So I get to the gym at like 9:30, and the freaking eliptical machine I got on had a loose rubber thing (the thing that lines the part where you put your foot) and it kept making all this crazy noise and driving me nuts...I wanted to switch machines but all the other ones were full. So my 35 min cardio seemed to just drag by. Then some dude kept FOLLOWING me around the gym. I was walking around the track at first, so i thought nothing of it because you tend to follow people when you are all walking in a circle..but then i stopped to do lunges, and he stopped 5 feet behind me and STARED at me..for like a minute. My tactic of ignoring him didn't exactly work. Then I went over to do weights and he would sit down at a machine close to mine and move whenever I did. Totally creeped me out, so i just did one round of everything on legs/stomach and then came home. I was only there for about 45-50 mins. grrr. But hey at least i went! and on the bright side i burned 470 cals during cardio. How was everyone else's day?

78,865Threads
2,185,212Messages
4,953Members
Back