Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

SRC

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I think it's quite chivalrous for a guy to open a door as I walk in somewhere .. but I find it useless for them to walk around to open my car door. Not that I will say not to, but it's just a waste of time imo.

And FTR, it pisses me of for someone to assist me in sitting down in a chair. I sit down a certain way, don't freaking rush me. lol

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
I think this is a great topic and one that I just cant seem to win with. I believe men and women are equal but men should be physically stronger than women and treat them with respect. However, some women will throw a right paddy if you insist on holding a door open for them or carry their shopping for them, I just dont get it! I used to work in factories and some of the women wouldn't stop banging on about equal rights...... till they needed something heavy lifted!

Keight

Reaction score
Tokenz
175.38z
This thread went in all different directions huh? LOL

I don't have a problem with letting a man help me, I can do alot of things independently and have done so that way for a long time, in the same sense i love a man to be a man and do things for me even if i know its something i can do well enough myself. Its called making your man feel like a man ladies LOL
Besides sometimes its better to watch your man do something you know you can do yourself.... hello live show? :p

juggler

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Between being sexist and being a gentlemen. Also Do you consider a woman sexist because of views she may have on it?

For instance....I feel as though I will do anything expected of me at work. Lifting or whatever (as long as I can lift it) ...but at the same time. If a guy offers, the right way, to do it for me. I will let them. Meaning if they ask to do it for me I will let them. If they tell me they should do it for me/or I shouldnt/cant do it...I wont let them help.

But at the same time if a Guy holds the door/car door open for me. I Like it.

So discuss I guess. If you need any clarification let me know. Or you can base your thoughts on what you think I mean or what your take on it is....

To bring this back towards the original question a little......

Ther eis no line!! If you're a gentleman, then you can't be a sexist!! The State of Gentleman-ness is a view of the world that transcends gender! You hold the door open for someone not because they're female, but because they're the next person through! Would you want the door shut in your face?? No!! See?!
You do what's right because that's right! car doors are slightly tricky subject though, and i get round it with 1 simple exercise. If you approach the car from the driver's side, then you get in then open the passenger's door. If you approach the car from the pasengers side , then you open the door and get in, wodering where the staff are because soon the village will have gone!!!!

Kat

Heart & Soul
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Thank you all for your responses on this topic. I have stayed out of it purely to read opinions on the subject. It comes down to the main point for me.

I will let any man help me who wants to....as long as I am treated with respect with it...and not treated as an invalid.

If he's a true gentleman. He will know how to phrase things. I have never flipped out on a guy who treated me with respect when asking me if I wanted his help. Or when he asked if he could help me. :) I do get angry if things are ripped outta my hands to do though...because he thinks im the weaker sex :)

Tattva

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I wouldn't bother holding a door open for anyone, unless they were close enough to catch it if i was to push it a little further

having sat though a lot of 'what feminists think' in sociology, I guess it would be overly stubborn and bigoted for me not to accept equal rights, as such, unless a girl was having difficulties with something heavy that i could help with, i'd offer to help, likewise if it was a guy.

SRC

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I hold the door open for anyone .. if they are coming along behind me. It's just the nice thing to do.

Kat

Heart & Soul
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I hold the door open for anyone .. if they are coming along behind me. It's just the nice thing to do.
I do that too. Its just common courtesy. I usually grab the door pull it back and let them walk in first...Just the way I am

Saffy

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Between being sexist and being a gentlemen. Also Do you consider a woman sexist because of views she may have on it?

For instance....I feel as though I will do anything expected of me at work. Lifting or whatever (as long as I can lift it) ...but at the same time. If a guy offers, the right way, to do it for me. I will let them. Meaning if they ask to do it for me I will let them. If they tell me they should do it for me/or I shouldnt/cant do it...I wont let them help.

But at the same time if a Guy holds the door/car door open for me. I Like it.

So discuss I guess. If you need any clarification let me know. Or you can base your thoughts on what you think I mean or what your take on it is....

Im not entirely sure what you mean but I think I am inclined to agree with your views, I am basically an independent woman, very self sufficient and I wont ask for any help unless I absolutely need it and I dont mind if its a woman or a man that comes to my aid. I also adore the gentlemanly ways - I'm pretty old fashioned in that respect, but I dont take them for granted, not do I demand them from a man.

robdawg1

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I think it is about respect ultimately isnt it? if a guy is respectfull when we do something than it is appreciated, if we are being a jerk and macho then we are being disrespectfull and therefore it is not going to be appreciated!

Valde Bovis

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Oh man what a good topic-

Being gentlemanly isnt a sexist thing, or at least it shouldnt be.

Holding the door open or lifting a box or opening a jar, or in general helping out a lady (if your guy) was never, ever meant to be degrading, or otherwise made to make a woman feel inferior. It is meant as prefering them over yourself, and thats what a true gentleman is.

Being gentlemanly is just the same when its done for another guy, or an older couple, or to somehow denote someone who needs help- for instance a guy whos comign up the walk with boxes, hes gonna have to pu tthe boxes down, block the door and then move through- its gentelmanly and a help to just hold the door open for the guy. Is that meant to be demeaning or make him feel inferiro? I dont think so- its simply meant as a hlep to make life easier and more convinvent for someone else.

I am overly gentlemanlike all the time and I do it purposefully because I feel in todays society we lack that ideology, so when I am out I make it a point to do so.

I greet people, say hello, tip my hat, let folks enter first, hold doors open, fill my plate last, step back and make sure others are served first etc.

It's all wrapped up in the way I was raised and I havnt figured out a reason yet to upgrade to todays selfish norm.

I think we need to get off this whole line of womens liberation garbage- Ive had owmen get angry at me for holding the door open- its nothing but ungratefullness for a kind gesture by a stranger-

78,866Threads
2,185,227Messages
4,953Members
Back