Where to draw the line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Kat

Heart & Soul
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Between being sexist and being a gentlemen. Also Do you consider a woman sexist because of views she may have on it?

For instance....I feel as though I will do anything expected of me at work. Lifting or whatever (as long as I can lift it) ...but at the same time. If a guy offers, the right way, to do it for me. I will let them. Meaning if they ask to do it for me I will let them. If they tell me they should do it for me/or I shouldnt/cant do it...I wont let them help.

But at the same time if a Guy holds the door/car door open for me. I Like it.

So discuss I guess. If you need any clarification let me know. Or you can base your thoughts on what you think I mean or what your take on it is....

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

NuckingFuts

One of the originals
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
395.93z
Between being sexist and being a gentlemen. Also Do you consider a woman sexist because of views she may have on it?

For instance....I feel as though I will do anything expected of me at work. Lifting or whatever (as long as I can lift it) ...but at the same time. If a guy offers, the right way, to do it for me. I will let them. Meaning if they ask to do it for me I will let them. If they tell me they should do it for me/or I shouldnt/cant do it...I wont let them help.

But at the same time if a Guy holds the door/car door open for me. I Like it.

So discuss I guess. If you need any clarification let me know. Or you can base your thoughts on what you think I mean or what your take on it is....
I love a wpman who is independent. I also love to do things for women. I feel women can do just about everything a man can. With the excepting of peeing standing up. Yeah Yeah Yeah I know you all can do it too. But it is not near as messy when we do it. Ok back on subject. I see nothing wrong with you way of thinking.

IntruderLS1

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Oh man, I thought for sure you women had some secret method of telling the difference. LOL Guys, ... we're done for!! :p

I think the difference between sexism and being a gentleman are all in the presentation. (Like you pretty much said)

I always hold doors and offer assistance for heavy lifting jobs. I HATE it when that offends a girl.

Great topic Kat. I'm curious to see how this one unfolds. Mostly from a female point of view. :)

GraceAbounds

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Real men are gentlemen imo. They treat woman equal intellectually. They are well mannered and considerate. They have high standards when it comes to proper behavior. They respect women while also protecting or helping them if needed.

My hat is off to all real gentleman.

Elle

Banned
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
OK, I guess what I mean by "Full On Gentleman" is: a man who is practically there to catch your crumbs while you eat cookies.

Opening doors is nice, but not necessary. I don't need to get flowers or stuff like that, but rather that special occasions be acknowledged in a more creative way.

debbie t

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
its more like doing things with respect and courtesy and not doing the same thing and patronising.
a man can do things in either way,one is just good manners and the other is sexism
and women too ..im not forgetting the girls in this;)

Ria

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I more or less think the same as you Kat.
I am independant to a point, but at the same time, I like a man to be a gentleman in some things, not everything. He hasn't got to open every single door for me or anything, but just that if I am about to go through the door first, is nice if he will open it for me. Same with the car door thing - mind you, they often start that way then it gets forgotten after a while anyway, so no point if they can't keep doing it LOL and I am just as happy to know from the start that I open my own doors. it is nice if it happens, but not a big deal otherwise.

However, it isn't really an issue either - if it happens great, if not then at least that is something I know is more likely to stay the same throughout LOL.

Lifting is different - some things I can, some not and am never worried about asking a bloke to lift something for me, but no, I wouldn't like to be told either, that I can't as I am a woman....

Elle

Banned
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
LOL. I need one of those ....SOMEtimes. Just to buy fem stuff at the store and get me whatever I crave late at night.

debbie t

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
LOL. I need one of those ....SOMEtimes. Just to buy fem stuff at the store and get me whatever I crave late at night.
lol you should meet my husband , he is the premenstrual womans dream..but he does have two of us here (me and little porphyria)...but that doesnt make him a doormat ,that makes him my hero:D

Boomer

Nipples-O-Steel
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I hate it when a woman wont let a man be the man. Baby girl, I know you're capable of lifting that, I know! But Im yer man, and I would be more than happy to do it for you. I know you can open that door girl, but I feel better doing it for you. Why? Cause I love ya. I dont see nothing wrong with that. Thats being a gentleman.

But if the guy is like. Let me pick that up for you, you and I both KNOW you're the weaker sex and you're going to hurt yourself. Or I would let you open the door, but you stupid women always push when you should pull. Now THAT is sexist and should never be tolorated.

GraceAbounds

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I hate it when a woman wont let a man be the man. Baby girl, I know you're capable of lifting that, I know! But Im yer man, and I would be more than happy to do it for you. I know you can open that door girl, but I feel better doing it for you. Why? Cause I love ya. I dont see nothing wrong with that. Thats being a gentleman.

But if the guy is like. Let me pick that up for you, you and I both KNOW you're the weaker sex and you're going to hurt yourself. Or I would let you open the door, but you stupid women always push when you should pull. Now THAT is sexist and should never be tolorated.
:homo:

debbie t

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z

i too am with the red haired beast...thats what i said but boomer just put into better english...which was quite a moment :24:

Breath

Banned!
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
It's all in the attitude. That goes both ways, from men to women, and vice-versa.

On a business level, I am fine with being treated as an equal. If I get to the door first, I'll open it. I I have to get some stock down from the highest shelf, I'll do it. If it's my turn to bring in the doughnuts, I'll haul them in from the car.

On a personal level, I like a man to treat me "like a woman". Some of those cutesy little chivalrous things are quite endearing. My female mind can't help but to be smitten by a man who bothers to show me extra little attentive things. My last ex was really good at this. He'd often leave me little notes. He'd take my car for oil changes. He'd come get me and drive us home if there was icy weather. He'd bring me chocolate. :) He'd tell me every day how important I was to him, that he loved me. Too bad we didn't work through another issue. But he was a gentleman as well as a lover.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back