When did you start to feel like an adult

Users who are viewing this thread

MyPaperBleeds

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I'm 22 and I still don't feel like an adult. I'm attending college and still live with my parents during the summer and during school breaks. I only got my first job a little over a year ago. I have no idea how to pay bills or how to deal with appointments medical-wise or insurance. I can barely figure out how to fill out a simple tax form.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

zemmer

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Depends on what you mean.

I've been behaving as an adult since I was about 18, working and living on my own, voting, paying taxes, all that jazz.

But I don't think I shook that vague "faking it, still trying to figure out that thing that the adults know that makes them adults" till well into my 30s. I didn't figure out "that thing" so much as stop caring and realize there were no actual adults out there.

TheViper

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.53z
To be completely honest I sometimes feel like adult. Though, I would prefer to not feel like adult but still be able to handle my responsibilities. I still want to be a kid at heart and not take things so seriously. When you become a of age and start doing things on your own. People automatically think you have to become all serious and stuff. That isn't what I want to be like in my life.

darkcgi

Glorified Maniac
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.28z
I used to most adults are smart and that I would grow up one day to be like them.
I found out there are a smaller amount of smart people and most people are just a larger version of the child they once were
I am still a kid in side.

darkcgi

Glorified Maniac
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.28z
When I was 18 I joined the Military
I feel I was never a really really responsible person till I was 30 when I had a child.

Rub

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.17z
I had lived in a hostel since I was 12. I couldn't live with my father and his new wife because she didn't like me. We'd been arguing everyday for a long time. My mom was gone earlier, so my father got new wife. I changed my school and moved to the hostel. Since that moment I've been living separately from him over 20 years. The spirit of the new school and living together with classmatess made me feeling adult. No one was going to tolerate you. You had to survive in these fightings and shouts.

MLNewkirk

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
For me, there are two moments in my life that I began to feel like an adult. The first moment was when I divorced my first husband. After I left him a massive weight of responsibility fell on my shoulders: bills, driving to and from places, filing taxes, paying rent, etc. He was quite an enabler, part of the reason we I left him. Enabling me was his way of controlling me and preventing me from leaving him. The second moment was when I gave birth to my son. When I held him in my arms for the first I realized that I am now responsible to for the life and well being of another human being.

missbishi

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.28z
I didn't start to feel like an adult until I graduated from college and started full time work at 22. I used to feel quite fraudulent when I first started work, I earnt a decent wage and had my own flat but I kept having this feeling that I was just "pretending" and it would all be taken away from me. Maybe I felt like that because I was always broke at college and finally having some spare cash took a while to get used to.

xTinx

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I know this sounds horrific to take seriously but I think the moment I realized that life is transient, I grew up then and there and thought like an adult who's overly conscious of her own existence. That realization came to me when I was five. Of course, I may have acted like a kid all throughout puberty, but I saw everything a kid wouldn't normally see. Accepting that the life we have here is passing was such a tall order for me and, despite some degree of understanding and reconciliation across the years, the fear of that inevitable expiration continues to haunt me even at present. Still, we move forward.

Adam

Voodoo Baby
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
To this day I do not feel like an adult, I'm 22 and yeah I pay bills and all that but I just do it as a kid :D

Gemma

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
At 16, I moved out of my parents' house, had a job, paid my own bills. I felt like an adult. At 18, I had a baby to take care of too and people actually began treating me differently so I thought that meant I was an adult. I am 32 now. I nap most afternoons and play minecraft at midnight. I work from my laptop in a job that kinda feels like playing sometimes because I love it. I spent time in 19 states in 2014, ending in Florida for the winter, where I am now. I don't know where I'll be this time next year. I'm pretty sure I've reverted to childhood. If that's true, I don't want to grow up.

Mockingbird

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
I can't recall when I did not feel like an adult. Being the oldest of three latch key kids meant growing up pretty fast. I have always regretted that in my life I had the worries of a grown up while still being considered a child. One of my biggest pet peeves growing up was I had to be the adult and make decisions yet when it came time for feed back or to be considered I was treated like a child. I was good enough to make choices only when it was convenient.

I thought at one point maybe my dad "got it" he was talking about a girl that at ten years old went to the stores and paid bills and took care of the other kids. I was like.... yea I know the feeling. He was talking about the neighbor kid and how terrible it was that her parents did that. Totally oblivious to his own way of bring up the children.

78,865Threads
2,185,214Messages
4,953Members
Back