When did you start to feel like an adult

Users who are viewing this thread

illusion

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
I think it was after I got married and I had bills and we started planning a family. The responsibility forced me to be more of an adult. What was it for you guys?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

Makeshifter

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.08z
A-...adult? What is this "adult" of which you speak?

I think I began to understand the weight of what adulthood actually means once I moved out at 18 with who would become my future spouse, and was immediately faced with needing to scrape together several hundred dollars a month just for basic needs. It doesn't truly, fully hit you just how easy you use to had it at home until you're dealing with the obscene cost of just...living!

WiccanWitch

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
For me, I felt like an adult at 14 years old. Yeah, I wasn't obviously. But I had been through so much in my short life at that point and was already ready to get married and have kids. I was done with the teen drama, the partying, it seems I had almost nothing in common with most teens in general, never mind teens my age. Adulthood hit me in the face after my grandparents passed away in 2006. They raised me from 3 weeks old and were my parents, regardless of the blood line. My grandpa walked me down the aisle and gave me away in August 2005. I had my 21st birthday on May 29th, 2006, my grandma passed on June 10th (at 62 years old) and my grandpa on November 24th. (a week after his 65th birthday) Between that, and losing the babies I have lost, nothing makes you feel more grown up...or more like you just want to go home and visit your parents, sit in the safety net for just a little longer. I'm 28 years old, but mentally, emotionally and physically, I'm much older unfortunately.

drkn335

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
Probably when I was 15/16 years old. I've had a really tough time and I was always alone so I had to learn to grow up and be independent and learn how to look after myself. So for me, I always felt a lot older and more mature that other people my own age, and I still do now. I suppose I like the feeling now, and I am glad for being able to become independent and mature.

AUFred

WAR EAGLE!!!
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
2,392.55z
When I moved into my first apartment where I signed a lease. Before that living on a college campus was just not being adult.

NoDak

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
As an only kid, I was around adults, most of the time, until I started school, so, I probably FELT like an adult at a very early age.

Ricardo187

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.03z
That's probably when I turned eighteen years old. When I understood and realized that I have to earn my own money and pay some of my own bills. When I realized that cars don't run on water and we need food to live, etcetera. It's a big disappointment when you become an adult. You're waiting for it since you're a kid and when you get it, it's all a bunch of problems and situations to worry about. It's not funny to be an adult.

DaBlink182

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Moved out when I was 17 to study. Failed my study and had to work fulltime to support myself because my parents weren't giving me money anymore. I realized soon enough that it's way harder than it looks to support yourself. Didn't have a lot of free time and didn't have any money at all. Oh well, it's tough, but it's a good lesson.

Dreek Lass

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.77z
As far as emotion goes and understanding other people, I have always been very mature. The most adult in amongst my peers. But as far as being an adult? I am now twenty three. I turned twenty-three last month, exactly a month ago to this day and I still do not feel like an adult, but hat is because of society's perception of what an adult should be.

I disagree with that criteria though. I am an adult, just not your conventional kind of adult.

Josie

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.15z
umm.. maybe yesterday? lol

I grew up in the days of the street lights.. so not a lot of parenting going on back in the day. Plus my mother was a single mom, working as much as possible. I pretty much raised myself.. hence the very very long process of figuring the world out without guidance. I know I feel like an adult now.. most days.. but probably not as much as most adults lol. I might never fully feel like an adult.. not sure I want to.

akasha24

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.09z
I am 24 now and even though I had to grow up quickly and experience certain things at a very early age, I would have to say the first time I started to feel and think like an adult was at the age of 21. I understood a lot of things that I didn't know until then. I digest and accept things better than before too.

Cara18

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I felt like an adult when I got to college and realized how much everything cost. I realized that almost everything you do cost money and I was living alone. Not to mention all the homework you have to do in college and the stressing. I wish I would've never tried to grow up so fast. It is nice being an adult but you have to take on a lot more responsibilities.

lovemwaf

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
When i moved out of my parents house i felt like a true adult. the freedom to be able to make the choices that you need and feel free to lead the kind of life that you want. that let me know that i was an adult. I started helping out with bills and being responsible really early and so i think that freedom to me matters the most.

Denis Hard

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
In my senior year in high school. My parents were never home. They only dropped by occasionally to leave money for groceries and stuff. That meant that I had to take care of my younger siblings and see to it that they did their homework, slept early and so on. It was so stressful that at time that made realize that marriage and raising kids is certainly not the most congenial of occupations.

amy005

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I felt like an adult after I became a mom. I was almost 23 at the time. I think up until then I still felt like between an adult an a teen. I still relied on my mom for somethings but when I knew I was going to be a mom I made sure I didn't need to rely on really anyone for most of my expenses and such. Even though I am engaged to my sons father, I still don't like to rely on him for certain expenses for my son.

JoanMcWench

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
For some reason, it feels like the thing we equate to adulthood includes having to pay bills or rent. A lot of the responses I saw mostly concerned that. I do agree that when I had to carry my own weight it changed my perspective on things but I am unsure that is when I felt like an adult. I think I felt like an adult when I had the responsibility of taking care of a child for an extended period of time. That made me feel differently about childish things.

78,865Threads
2,185,214Messages
4,953Members
Back