"Watching our greatness slip away"

Users who are viewing this thread

MoonOwl

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Here it is:

As a loyal and devoted American, and veteran of World War II, I am appalled at the greed, stupidity and inefficiency of our United States government. In 1950, our nation was a leader of the world. We were wealthy, powerful and our industry hummed with made-in-America products. Our workers were building homes and enjoying steady salaries for their labor, producing consumer products sold around the world; trading with other nations for every product they could possibly want. We were the owners of the largest store in the world.

Now, a brief 59 years later, our government has allowed and promoted our corporations to sell off that entire store, piece by piece, lock, stock and barrel.

What is worse, our government permitted foreign countries to buy up our natural resources: Our Fairfield water, reservoirs and lakes together with 50,000 acres of prime land bordering the reservoirs were sold to the Yorkshire Water Company of England for less than half a billion dollars. Yorkshire also purchased the name Aquarion, set up an office in Bridgeport and bought water companies in Long Island, New Jersey and other areas.

Our Prudhoe oil fields in Alaska were sold off to British Petroleum, together with the American Oil Co and many other major American gas companies, along with thousands of gas stations, oil change stations and oil companies. The list goes on without our general knowledge.

Thousands of acres of our forests in New England, fruit groves in Florida and California, ranches in the west are now totally owned by foreign countries. While in Florida I came upon a huge sign in the middle of an orange grove with the huge black letters: "No Trespassing -- International Property: Trespassers Will Be Punished To The Fullest Extent Of The Law!"

In addition, hundreds of thousands of acres were sold to foreign auto companies, Toyota, Honda, Nissan and Hyundai to compete and drive Chrysler, Ford and General Motors, the corporations that won World War II for us, out of business in our own land.

What happened to my country? Where is the land that hundreds of thousands of brave American men sacrificed their lives for? Isn't this still the land that celebrates the Fourth of July and Veterans Day with parades and political speeches?

Don't our senators realize our store must be rebuilt no matter how much money or effort it takes? Don't they understand that China, Japan and other countries are bleeding us dry with tax-free trade agreements?

Don't they understand that our nation is getting weaker and losing this war for survival?

Will they continue to tell us things are getting better as our unemployment lines get longer?

When will the recession really end? Six months? A year? What excuse will they give us next year?

People I talk to say there is no way we can ever rebuild our industry, that it's completely impossible.

Meanwhile, we waste our energy, manpower and dollars fighting smoke and mirror terrorists in an immoral, unwinnable war. How long can we waste precious time telling China how to handle human rights and warning North Korea against building nuclear bombs? How much longer will we meddle in the century-old political battles of Iran and Afghanistan? Continue squandering billions of precious dollars on frivolous NASA space explorations? Waste billions to build ever more killing power in weapons to battle imagined enemies?

There may be thousands who believe we must rebuild our industry while we remain the world's largest customer, but have no effective voice to promote our message. We must wait patiently until our government and people understand this simple truth. We hope it is not too late.

Dick De Witt is a Fairfield resident.

Watching our greatness slip away - The Connecticut Post Online

Thoughts?
MO

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

Accountable

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
The guy cries out for government intervention in the markets. Sorry, I don't agree. That's why we are where we are. It's one thing to use the bully pulpit to say "Buy American;" it's another thing altogether to use legislation to artifically prop up a weak domestic market and coerce people to buy American.

kelvin070

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.13z
He has some valid points though but the world has changed since then and countries will react accordingly. He forgot or chose to ignore the fact that this is a globalized world. His generation will probably show resistence to change.

kelvin070

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.13z
I thought you quit politics.:p

Corporate globalization is killing our way of life.:nod:
Without Corporate globalization and outsourcing most of the Fortune 500 companies will go bust resulting in huge job losses. Cost of doing business in USA is too high - so go for cheap labour elsewhere. I am sure they did their sums before embarking on such a move.

Accountable

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
The cost of doing labor-intensive business in the US is too high. Allowing global corporations to collapse or leave opens the markets to innovative entrepeneurs, the primary source of job creation in the US.

MoonOwl

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
My Grandfather was in the 90% tax bracket in the 40's & 50's. He loathed paying taxes as much as the next guy but he also realized that those taxes helped to make our country stronger. Too bad that attitude faded. Just like the industrial strength of our nation has faded.

Which reminds me of another of Barack's campaign promises I haven't heard squat about. Cutting the tax-breaks for corporations that take their high-paying jobs overseas..... I knew that was too good to be true...

Alien Allen

Froggy the Prick
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,206.36z
If your grandfather was in that tax bracket he was very well off. And smart enough to take advantage of the massive amount of deductions available that have since been eliminated. He never paid 90%. He got a large part of it back in deductions.

MoonOwl

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
He was very well-off. As he had excellent people, I'm sure he got around what he could. But, I think he would be distressed to see how low we have sunk in just a few short decades.

Alien Allen

Froggy the Prick
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,206.36z
He was very well-off. As he had excellent people, I'm sure he got around what he could. But, I think he would be distressed to see how low we have sunk in just a few short decades.
I am sure he would be

Some get pissed at me for saying it but when women started to take on full time jobs things started turning to shit. I am not against women working but if you are gonna raise a family then somebody needs to be around. If the wife wants to work then the husband should be home. My wife only worked after the kids were in school. Then it was only as a noon aide at the school so when the kids came home she was there. Once they got older then she took on a full time job.

Add in television, electronic games and the internet and we will continue to have a messed up society.

MoonOwl

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I am sure he would be

Some get pissed at me for saying it but when women started to take on full time jobs things started turning to shit. I am not against women working but if you are gonna raise a family then somebody needs to be around. If the wife wants to work then the husband should be home. My wife only worked after the kids were in school. Then it was only as a noon aide at the school so when the kids came home she was there. Once they got older then she took on a full time job.

Add in television, electronic games and the internet and we will continue to have a messed up society.

I've heard that argument about women working before. It's not w/out merit.

But boy, you're getting into conspiracy theories w/that one (it was the Commies!!) ;)

I've stayed home so far. But it has become financially necessary for me to bring in extra income since I don't see an end to everything increasing in price. At least PBBB is 11 now and w/StickBoy working nights, someone will always be home when she is.

I've actually been quite fortunate to be able to stay home for this long. Not many women can these days....

Minor Axis

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
Unfortunately there appears to be a forum gang who are completely blind to the problem of the lack of business ethics that have developed since the 1960's in the U.S.

Unregulated capitalism stinks, but despite overwhelming evidence that de-regulation was a major factor in the crisis we find us in today, the majority of what we hear coming out of the conservatives in this forum are bad mouthing the government while turning a blind eye to "business as usual". It's a completely indefensible position undermining the voices of those who claim to want to solve problems but really they are only happy bad mouthing the Federal Government.

I'm probably repeating myself, but I was shocked when my conservative next door neighbor recently told me the problem with business in this country is that company leadership has become primarily concerned with enriching themselves and not looking out for the long term health of the company they lead. Therefore there is unrealistic pressure to improve profits not over the period of 20, 10 or 5 years, but regardless of how harmful it is to the company to greedily try push up profits each quarter by screwing whom ever they can, and especially the company long term, because "I'm gonna be out of here in 5 years or less with my gold." It's not equitable for the company or it's employees, but it's wonderful according to the the "un-regulated Capitalism" proponents. Just be smart enough not to believe their BS.

Accountable

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
It went well beyond "unregulated". Congress incentivised bad business practices. They lifted the one regulation from the 30's that seems to have been good: separating commercial banks from savings banks. I'd like to see that put back in place, and define "too big to fail," putting regulations in place that would force a company to divide into 2 or more companies if it should ever meet that definition.

One other regulation I'd like to see: stop treating corporations and other organizations as citizens. Prohibit them from making political contributions or lobbying Congress.

Tim

Having way too much fun
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
111.11z
It went well beyond "unregulated". Congress incentivised bad business practices. They lifted the one regulation from the 30's that seems to have been good: separating commercial banks from savings banks. I'd like to see that put back in place, and define "too big to fail," putting regulations in place that would force a company to divide into 2 or more companies if it should ever meet that definition.

One other regulation I'd like to see: stop treating corporations and other organizations as citizens. Prohibit them from making political contributions or lobbying Congress.

:clap

I would also like to add that CEO's should not be compensated with company stock. This little beauty was started with Reagan and it has helped to create the want to boost the numbers for the quarter while ignoring the long term health of the company.

Alien Allen

Froggy the Prick
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,206.36z
Don't forget PACs in general. :)
I have stated that before

Until you take the money out of politics it will just become more and more corrupt. The prize is so great people will sell their soul to get elected.

We should fully fund elections and not one penny be allowed to be accepted.

With a finite amount of money the incumbent does not have the built in advantage.

Plus we would not have people campaigning with bull shit for a year plus in advance and the house members might actually have to do their job instead of having to fund raise 365/24/7

78,865Threads
2,185,212Messages
4,953Members
Back