Texan Woman Told to Remove 'Offensive' American Flag From Office

Users who are viewing this thread

dt3

Back By Unpopular Demand
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.21z
Debbie McLucas comes from a patriotic family – her husband and both of her sons served in the U.S. military, and her daughter is currently deployed to Iraq on her second tour of duty as a combat medic.
So when McLucas arrived at work at a Texas hospital last Friday, she was stunned to be told that the Stars and Stripes she had hung in her office in advance of Memorial Day were offensive, and that the flag had been removed.
“I got into work, I was met by my supervisor and told that there had been multiple complaints, that people found the flag very offensive and it had been taken down," McLucas told FOXNews.com.
"I went to the office to retrieve it and found the flag wrapped around the pole, sitting in the corner on the ground. I was speechless."
McLucas, a supervisor at Kindred Hospital in Mansfield, Texas, had displayed the 3-by-5-foot flag in the office she shares with the hospital’s three other supervisors. McLucas said one of her colleagues, a woman who immigrated to the United States from Africa 14 years ago, complained about the flag to upper management, and the hospital decided to take down the flag.
"I was told that as long as my flag offended one person, it would be taken down," McLucas said.
She said the hospital told her that the American flag flying outside the building would have to suffice. "I was told, ‘There is a flag hanging out front, everyone can see that one. Is that not enough?’"
No, she said, that wasn't enough.
"It is more than I can even fathom, that you would find the American flag offensive, in America," McLucas said.
A Kindred Healthcare spokeswoman did not return calls for comment. Kindred issued a press release stating, “Kindred Hospital Mansfield has a great deal of appreciation for the service that many of our employees and their families have given to their country. We honor our veterans and active military through a variety of benefits and service programs. This was an isolated incident between two employees that we are working to resolve amicably.”
The statement went on to explain: “The disagreement was over the size of the flag and not what it symbolized. We have invited the employee to put the flag back up.”
And it will go back up and stay up, McLucas said.
"I do think they're trying to do the right thing. I have no reason to believe the flag won't remain there as long as I'm employed."
Texan Woman Told to Remove 'Offensive' American Flag From Office - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News - FOXNews.com

How the hell is an American flag offensive?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

sierrabravo

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
i would go out and get one of the garrison sized flags, one of the huge ones. and a crate of the little ones and plaster that african's office with those little flags. you'd think after 14 years of being in america that person would have better respect for our flag.

Dana

In Memoriam - RIP
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.17z
Smells like bullshit to me. The African woman just wanted to start trouble. If she has a problem with America she should move back to Africa.

HottyToddyChick

Toes in the water...
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
"I went to the office to retrieve it and found the flag wrapped around the pole, sitting in the corner on the ground. I was speechless."

Are you kidding me? C'mon people!

There is a flag hanging out front, everyone can see that one. Is that not enough?’

No. There is no such thing as too many flags flying. Much less on Memorial Day. And the lady has a CHILD in Iraq- get the eff over yourself and your being "offended" and understand you will NEVER know what she goes through on a daily basis. Selfish people kill me.

"It is more than I can even fathom, that you would find the American flag offensive, in America," McLucas said.

No kidding. An American flag, in America. Go fucking figure!

And the size? It was in *her* office. And you always have to option of not looking if something bothers you. It's not like it was being rubbed in her face in any way. You came to America, presumably by choice, so be respectful of the men and women risking their lives so that you can live here and be safe and get over yourself.

Thank you, Donnie, for getting my blood boiling. LOL

Minor Axis

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
WTF? and the size...come on 3x5!! oh my

Hanging a 3x5' flag in a workspace could be excessive especially if you like pushing your ultra-right views on other people, although that is just an example. I don't know how pushy the lady is. Why not display a small desk size flag on your desk instead?

dt3

Back By Unpopular Demand
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.21z
Hanging a 3x5' flag in a workspace could be excessive especially if you like pushing your ultra-right views on other people, although that is just an example. I don't know how pushy the lady is. Why not display a small desk size flag on your desk instead?
How is displaying an American flag indicative of ultra-right views? The article made no mention of her "pushing views on other people" whatsoever.

Of course, if you're accusing the right wing of excessive patriotism, I suppose I'll take that as a compliment.

:usa:

dt3

Back By Unpopular Demand
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.21z
oooh burn....minor...your response? lol
He's replying now :ninja Unfortunately I'm on my way out the door, but rest assured I'll be back

the-terminator.jpg

Minor Axis

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
How is displaying an American flag indicative of ultra-right views? The article made no mention of her "pushing views on other people" whatsoever.

Of course, if you're accusing the right wing of excessive patriotism, I suppose I'll take that as a compliment.

:usa:

:usa: :usa:Why don't you re-read my post. I was using that as an example (unsubstantiated) of why co-workers may not have liked it. If I was cohabiting a smallish workspace with others and someone unfurled a giant flag, I would not like it either, but it has nothing to do patriotic feelings towards my country. Admittedly "offense" was not an appropriate word to use in this case. "Overdoing it" would be better... :usa: :usa:

And I notice you have a picture of a bad terminator (as opposed to the good terminator) whose goal is to eradicate the human race... :humm: ;)

Alien Allen

Froggy the Prick
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,206.36z
She was later told she could put it back up.

The disagreement was over the size of the flag and not what it symbolized. We have invited the employee to put the flag back up.”
And it will go back up and stay up, McLucas said.
"I do think they're trying to do the right thing. I have no reason to believe the flag won't remain there as long as I'm employed."
much ado about nothing IMO

Staci

old, but new
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z

apparently you dont have any loved ones who have served and fought for this country. if this is your view of a ultra-right wing then i guess i am one.

as the manager of a hospital many many people go through her office. only 1 person was offended and complained. seriously then are many many more issues to bitch about than someone having a flag in her office

MoonOwl

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
PC Thinking is ruining our Country.

The needs of the one should not be outweighing the needs of the many.

No where in any of our founding documents is the right to not be offended. Period.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back