Something Obama said the other day made me think...

Users who are viewing this thread

dt3

Back By Unpopular Demand
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.21z
And y'all know how I don't like to think, so I'll ask for your opinions :D

It was his victory speech in NC he said something along the lines of wanting the government to set minimum gas mileage on vehicles.

Well, here's my question. Shouldn't the free market be able to do that without government intervention? Especially with the outrage over gas prices, if people quit buying cars that get <20MPG for example, the companies would quit making them. It's simple economics.

Now, I may be looking too far into this one comment, but doesn't it basically seem like he's saying we're too stupid to know what's good for us? The government is gonna tell us what cars to buy? I have a big problem with that. Mostly because it seems completely contrary to our free market system.

Opinions?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

dt3

Back By Unpopular Demand
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.21z
And for anyone wondering, I was listening live on Fox News radio driving home from work :D

ssl

Banned
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
If Obama wanted stricter vehicular emissions, would you have thought about that?

No; he said it to grab your attention, he wanted you to remember something OBAMA said.

Goody, vote next ..

Seriously though, if he gets that chance to push that idea through, I would not see a problem, considering most cars produced in the United States get that type of mileage anyways. Now, if that gets changed to 30 mpg, I would think there is an ulterior motive: forcing you to purchase "import" vehicle makes; that or getting rid of any muscle cars.

Either way, I am reminded of the yo-yo commercial where the show host is saying "if you outlaw yo-yo's, only outlaws will have them," which is true of guns in England (right, Peter; I could be wrong, so correction is accepted here.. lol).

In reality, the government can say something, but it is the industry itself that must do it. If the government wants consumers to buy 20 mpg cars, but there are only 15 mpg available, then the government would have to get into the automotive industry and produce the vehicles themselves. And you know how the conspiracy theorists would go with that.

NicAuf

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Well I don't think the gov't is gonna tell us what car to buy. They would just tell the car manufacturers that they need to make cars that get a minimum 25-30 mpg for example.

FreeWorkVest

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I am 100% behind raising the fuel mileage restrictions on auto makers. I would also like to see the government offer prizes for certain things, like 1 billion dollars for the first manufaturer to produce and sell a zero emmisions vehicle under 25,000 and sell 60,000 of those vehicles in a sales year.

Pudding Time

Banned
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
And y'all know how I don't like to think, so I'll ask for your opinions :D

It was his victory speech in NC he said something along the lines of wanting the government to set minimum gas mileage on vehicles.

Well, here's my question. Shouldn't the free market be able to do that without government intervention? Especially with the outrage over gas prices, if people quit buying cars that get <20MPG for example, the companies would quit making them. It's simple economics.

Now, I may be looking too far into this one comment, but doesn't it basically seem like he's saying we're too stupid to know what's good for us? The government is gonna tell us what cars to buy? I have a big problem with that. Mostly because it seems completely contrary to our free market system.

Opinions?

Stupid, no. Stubborn, yes.

American wont let go of these ginormous freakin' pickup's and SUV's.. Basically what Obama is doing here is force the industry in a positive direction whether you want it or not. Which in my opinion is a great thing to do.

liveitup068

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
first off it was fox news which distorts everything and the government has been bought by big oil for generations. So if you think one presidents policies are gonna make a difference over the mass corruption then so be it.

Pudding Time

Banned
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
In reality, the government can say something, but it is the industry itself that must do it. If the government wants consumers to buy 20 mpg cars, but there are only 15 mpg available, then the government would have to get into the automotive industry and produce the vehicles themselves. And you know how the conspiracy theorists would go with that.

The gov would never make cars themselves.. They would instead give ultimatums to car makers to produce these kind of cars, or else they would punish them with revoking their business licence, or just outlawing cars under 30 mpg stopping car makers from selling them. Ultimately the car markers will do what is needed to turn a profit, and in this case it's following the requests of the government.

liveitup068

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
1. it was on Fox News
2. Big Oil already buys off politicians
3. Haliburton(Cheney)

the corruption isnt gonna stop because of one president

Pudding Time

Banned
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
1. it was on Fox News
2. Big Oil already buys off politicians
3. Haliburton(Cheney)

the corruption isnt gonna stop because of one president

Do you normally repeat yourself?

I understand that big oil has influenced Presidents in the past. And I also understand you may prefer to play the odds. But all of this doesn't automatically mean Obama is bought by big oil.

We will all see in the long run.l

skyblue

KEEP THE FAITH
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.34z
what happens is the bill will get legislated......say for instance a car does 25 per gallon on the open road.......the manufacturers will be given say for instance 5 years to get it up to that milage on new cars......they'de have chance to research and develope.....with it you'll get lower emission legislation......which isn,t altogether a bad thing

the milage thing will only effect new cars not ones already on the road.......the emission thing will probably be across the board but i might be wrong.....some cars those things just cant be done without wholesale changes

thats what we got here anyway and you rarely see a car spewing out exhaust smoke nowadays

dt3

Back By Unpopular Demand
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.21z
Seriously though, if he gets that chance to push that idea through, I would not see a problem, considering most cars produced in the United States get that type of mileage anyways. Now, if that gets changed to 30 mpg, I would think there is an ulterior motive: forcing you to purchase "import" vehicle makes; that or getting rid of any muscle cars.
I just used 20 as an example, he didn't specify what he would set it at.
Well I don't think the gov't is gonna tell us what car to buy. They would just tell the car manufacturers that they need to make cars that get a minimum 25-30 mpg for example.
Right, which in turn forces us to buy cars that get good mileage. But that's un-American to me. If someone can afford a car that gets 10MPG and they want one, then who is the government to tell them they can't?
Stupid, no. Stubborn, yes.

American wont let go of these ginormous freakin' pickup's and SUV's.. Basically what Obama is doing here is force the industry in a positive direction whether you want it or not. Which in my opinion is a great thing to do.
Right. And, correct me if I'm wrong, but state-controlled manufacturing is a basic tenet of Communism. Which is anti-Capitalism, and like it or not this country is based on Capitalism.
first off it was fox news which distorts everything and the government has been bought by big oil for generations. So if you think one presidents policies are gonna make a difference over the mass corruption then so be it.
I wasn't listening to an analysis of his speech, I was listening to his speech live. In fact, I haven't heard anyone mention this part of what he said, which is why I brought it up.

dt3

Back By Unpopular Demand
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.21z
But still, no one has addressed my point about the free market. Shouldn't the free market dictate what gets produced in our country?

darkcgi

Glorified Maniac
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.28z
If anyone has any doubt... I'll clear it up for yeah....
Like usuall you have to choose the lesser evil...

Obama is one F'd up dude. The answer come right out of his mouth. His actions are exactly what we dont want already
and he aint president yet.....

So the answer is clear....

Tim

Having way too much fun
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
111.11z
But still, no one has addressed my point about the free market. Shouldn't the free market dictate what gets produced in our country?

The short answer... No the free market should not always be able to dictate what gets produced.

Government regulation IS a necessary evil. Just look at all the things that are regulated by the US government for our safety.

And we have had CAFE standards in place for years. Car manufactures already have minimum fuel mileage standards...

I'm at work now and must run... but I will touch on this later. Cuz I'm not being clear right now

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back