Smoking Bans

Users who are viewing this thread

Mrs Behavin

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.55z
Here in Arkansas almost everywhere you go, there is "No Smoking". I know a lot of people who are getting offended by it. Not me personally, I dont smoke. Is it getting that bad everywhere else too? I work at a hospital in the ER and they went to "No Smoking" in January and people will actually leave and decide that they dont want to see a Dr just because they cant smoke. Its crazy! They have security standing at every doorway and are prosecuting people who light up. I think thats a little overboard myself. There are quite a few restaurants here to with absoltely no smoking whatsoever. Is the No Smoking Ban that bad everywhere too?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

Blackwater_GT

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Mrs Behavin said:
Here in Arkansas almost everywhere you go, there is "No Smoking". I know a lot of people who are getting offended by it. Not me personally, I dont smoke. Is it getting that bad everywhere else too? I work at a hospital in the ER and they went to "No Smoking" in January and people will actually leave and decide that they dont want to see a Dr just because they cant smoke. Its crazy! They have security standing at every doorway and are prosecuting people who light up. I think thats a little overboard myself. There are quite a few restaurants here to with absoltely no smoking whatsoever. Is the No Smoking Ban that bad everywhere too?

Smoking is very unhealthy. I dont think there is anything good about it. Ban it totally outlaw it. Make it illegal. Back when we didn't have alot of info about the effects of smoking tobacco no body gave it much thought. But that was then now we know what a killer it is and how the tobacco industry used it's addictiveness to hook several generations on it. There might be some chemical uses for it but purely in a clinicle study environment only. Marijuana is less destructive to your lungs and some studies show that it actually has medical benifits if used correctly.
Bongs are not sold at the pharmacy yet but maybe one day.
:cool

Mrs Behavin

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.55z
I agree with you totally. It just aggravates me when I hear people griping because they cant smoke here or over there, but what they dont realize is, is we dont wanna hear their griping just as much as we dont want to smell like an ashtray. Some people are blowing it way out of proporation with all the griping. Im surprised they havent griped about the taxes going up on tobacco products yet.

Blackwater_GT

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I have friends that smoke and they gripe about the taxes and the prices but they still buy em.
You know how the tobacco companies get aroound the taxes? They will offer two for one coupons and sometimes throw in an extra pack if you buy three. They discount the cigarettes but save you from paying taxes on the promo. They do it and get away with it because its a "Marketing campaign." If the second hand smoke wasn't bad for the bystanders then smoking proabbly wouldn'y be so unpopular. One day there will be smoke rooms wait there already is there called cigar bars. :funnah

CareBear3030

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
They are trying to get it passed slowly around Cincinnati. It keeps loosing at the polls...but it wont be long.

I am a smoker...but a very thoughtful one. I wont smoke if I know there is a non-smoker in my car, or at the table, etc. Even at a restaurant I ask for non-smoking. Basically because they put us smokers into the nasty corner. I can understand no smoking in an office building, or even in a restaurant.

BUT they are even wanting to make bowling alleys and bars nonsmoking. EXCUSE me??? If you smoke one time you cannot NOT smoke is while drinking. That is not right. Thats like saying you cant drink in a bar because it might offend someone!!!

While it is a nasty habit...and dangerous...FOR ME. There is absolutely NO evidence about second hand smoke. I will admit that when I quit smoking I was the worst nonsmoker. I couldnt stand the smell!! I admit its nasty.

But to say no smoking in restaurants, bars, even bowling alleys...thats going to put some businesses to rest.

lemon

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Re: RE: Smoking Bans

CareBear3030 said:
They are trying to get it passed slowly around Cincinnati. It keeps loosing at the polls...but it wont be long.

I am a smoker...but a very thoughtful one. I wont smoke if I know there is a non-smoker in my car, or at the table, etc. Even at a restaurant I ask for non-smoking. Basically because they put us smokers into the nasty corner. I can understand no smoking in an office building, or even in a restaurant.

BUT they are even wanting to make bowling alleys and bars nonsmoking. EXCUSE me??? If you smoke one time you cannot NOT smoke is while drinking. That is not right. Thats like saying you cant drink in a bar because it might offend someone!!!

While it is a nasty habit...and dangerous...FOR ME. There is absolutely NO evidence about second hand smoke. I will admit that when I quit smoking I was the worst nonsmoker. I couldnt stand the smell!! I admit its nasty.

But to say no smoking in restaurants, bars, even bowling alleys...thats going to put some businesses to rest.

maybe, but then the businesses will revolt (cant think of a better word..) and it will be repealed or something along those lines

CareBear3030

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z

sourlemon2k5 said:
maybe, but then the businesses will revolt (cant think of a better word..) and it will be repealed or something along those lines

Thats why it hasnt passed yet. Local businesses are getting together to stop it. But it has passed a lot of other places. We already cant smoke at the stadium???

lemon

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z

CareBear3030 said:
sourlemon2k5 said:

Thats why it hasnt passed yet. Local businesses are getting together to stop it. But it has passed a lot of other places. We already cant smoke at the stadium???

what kind of stadium is it? open or closed, cuz if its open... :wtf

lemon

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Total Enclosed Area: 1,850,000 square feet (over 40 acres)

over forty acres and they are worried about smoking? :wtf

someone needs to do some better math...

red plate

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
well in duluth which isnt to far from me the whole city has banned smoking in public place except bars. they are currently working on getting rid of smoking bars now. I gribe alot to be honest with you because it seems that nonsmokers treat smokers like we arnt people. everybody is addicted to something wether its caffiene, candy, or whatever. I think non smokers are blowing it out of proportion its all a matter of propaganda. the propaganda has switched to anti smoking so now smokeing is evil.

AtlanticBlue99

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
i hate smoking and smokers but legally it should not be banned. this is because you cannot ban something that is not illegal. you can make it illegal but not ban at public places- it is unconstitutional

again, i dont like smoking or smokers anywhere, but i'm stating this on fact and legality.

Blackwater_GT

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z

CareBear3030 said:

I'm not trying to pick on ya but here is a link to a website that states the dangers of second hand smoke. Believe me if it wasn't dangerous then the smoking ban would not hold any ground.
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=19930

Mrs Behavin

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.55z

red plate said:
well in duluth which isnt to far from me the whole city has banned smoking in public place except bars. they are currently working on getting rid of smoking bars now. I gribe alot to be honest with you because it seems that nonsmokers treat smokers like we arnt people. everybody is addicted to something wether its caffiene, candy, or whatever. I think non smokers are blowing it out of proportion its all a matter of propaganda. the propaganda has switched to anti smoking so now smokeing is evil.

Yeah but if I'm addicted to caffeine or candy it doesnt affect you. But someones addiction to cigarettes DOES affect other people. Non smokers dont treat smokers like that aren't people, the non smokers would just rather not be around the smokers while they are smoking because they dont wanna inhale the second hand smoke and smell like an ashtray.

red plate

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
but if thats the case of not wanting to inhale second hand smoke then why bother driving a car going near a furnace or a fire... all smoke is as hazardous as smoking... you cant see most of it. I respect people that dislike it alot by not smoking around them while in a closed area but i dont think smokers get respect but then again not all smokers respect non smokers too. I think it should be placed on a half and half basis. I think comprimise is the only way to settle this conflict, but that wont happen... I personally i do think smoke sections should be equiped with proper ventilation... cause i do understand that a non smoking section is like having a pissing section in a pool. Many resturants dont do this.... i think this is the reason for bans, but i think if your a non smoker and you goto bars and have a problem with the smoke there you should just go drink at home. Its not like a bar is a fine establishment. If you can go into a building and partake in something that damages your body why care if something else is. But like i said its a respect thing... sometimes i intenionally smoke infront of certin non smokers that treat me like im satan... there like your a smoker. why dont you fill your lungs with cancer... well i can go back at them and say "hey.... you eat double cheese burgers... just fill yout arteries with colesterol." Another thing at is really disrespectful of non smokers is telling you to not smoke outside... that is fucking ridiculous. well theres my points.... please point out the disresptful things smokers do... so i can try not to be a dick about it even though i try anyway.

lemon

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z

red plate said:
but if thats the case of not wanting to inhale second hand smoke then why bother driving a car going near a furnace or a fire... all smoke is as hazardous as smoking... you cant see most of it. I respect people that dislike it alot by not smoking around them while in a closed area but i dont think smokers get respect but then again not all smokers respect non smokers too. I think it should be placed on a half and half basis. I think comprimise is the only way to settle this conflict, but that wont happen... I personally i do think smoke sections should be equiped with proper ventilation... cause i do understand that a non smoking section is like having a pissing section in a pool. Many resturants dont do this.... i think this is the reason for bans, but i think if your a non smoker and you goto bars and have a problem with the smoke there you should just go drink at home. Its not like a bar is a fine establishment. If you can go into a building and partake in something that damages your body why care if something else is. But like i said its a respect thing... sometimes i intenionally smoke infront of certin non smokers that treat me like im satan... there like your a smoker. why dont you fill your lungs with cancer... well i can go back at them and say "hey.... you eat double cheese burgers... just fill yout arteries with colesterol." Another thing at is really disrespectful of non smokers is telling you to not smoke outside... that is fucking ridiculous. well theres my points.... please point out the disresptful things smokers do... so i can try not to be a dick about it even though i try anyway.

3 things:

1) :rofl for "hey.... you eat double cheese burgers... just fill yout arteries with colesterol." (which, is true, but still is a choice like smoking)

2) :rofl for "having a pissing section in a pool." (the kiddie pool... haha)

3) compromise is how we get things done here... then the opposing force gets shot at by the defensive force... and the roles reverse, and new compromise happens, and it starts all over again

Tim

Having way too much fun
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
111.11z

Blackwater_GT

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Second hand smoke is a factor. It may not be the lethal killer that some reports contend but it does have harmfull effects on people. The Govt. for a change is actually right about smoking and the effects of second hand smoke. Dont believe the smoke and mirrors the tobacco companies are telling us.

HOTRODSnBOOZE

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
It's gotten really bad here in Cali too. It's gotten to where I had to step outside to smoke a bowl during my sons Christmas play last year at his school. I was guna write a letter to Arnie regarding my total and utter dicontent, but by the time I got home, I forgot what I was mad about. *whiny voice* Stupid Rules!
grin.gif

78,864Threads
2,185,187Messages
4,953Members
Back