Recycling so what we do here. What about you?

Users who are viewing this thread

redliner

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.64z
Where you live do you guys recycle ? Have a deposit of bottles and cans ? Put food scraps in a bin and get picked up once a week ? How many garbage bags does your family use in two weeks ? We went from 6 bags down to 2 just by following some easy guidlines.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Natasha

La entrepierna de fuego
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,352.51z
Re: Recylcling so what we do here. What about you ?

I wish that we had a recycling service here that actually collected recyclables from your residence, but we don't. I have 3 bins (one for newspaper, one for cardboard, and one for glass) and take them to our local Happy Hour when they get full. They recently started taking plastic as well, so we also take that in. Being able to recycle plastic has cut down on our trash tremendously, however, we still empty the kitchen trash every night due to food being in the trash.

Aeval

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
Re: Recylcling so what we do here. What about you ?

It's probably roughly the same in my area as Redliner's....a maximum of 5 garbage bags a week, only one of them can be tinted, the rest have to be clear. No limit to blue bags, but they're collected bi-weekly, paper products and non-refundable containers cannot be in the same blue bag, we pay a deposit on most bottles and get 1/2 that back in a refund if we return it to a depot, and we have to use a green bin for all food waste.

And they check....I've had garbage bags "tagged" before for noncompliance. It's a pain, it's easier to recycle.

Kakapo Dundee

Reaction score
Tokenz
644.22z
we have a monthly pickup at the gate for glass, PET,newspaper,and cans.There's separate free disposal of greenwaste and whiteware/techware at the local transfer station.

Aeval

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
Oh...and it's just the 2 of us and the dog, actually, I'm only there about 5 days a month, so it's only Dave....I'm not sure what it's like when I'm not there, but the 2 of us together might put out a bag a week, maybe.

Dana

In Memoriam - RIP
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.17z
No they got rid of the recycling truck besides it cost money to have them pick things up. I do return my bottles for the deposit I paid for them.

Jezzebelle

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Wow, you guys have a lot of different types of pickup! That's crazy, I've never even heard of foodwaste pickup or clear/blue/tinted bags being required. The only people who do a separate food waste bin here is because they have their own compost.

We just have regular old trash and recycle. We throw the cardboard, plastic, etc all in together in the recycle. They separate everything for you. Our trash is really awesome too, they'll take anything. My husband's grill got destroyed in a storm and we just wheeled it out there and they took it. Same with a huge TV once.

Dana

In Memoriam - RIP
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.17z
So now it costs money for the garbage truck instead.

Besides, it's not all about the cost.
I was unaware it cost to remove my trash.... I surely do not pay for garbage removal... Maybe my parents for removal as they own the building.

Jezzebelle

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
what? You're unaware it costs to employee people and to run trucks to pick up trash? Are you kidding? You think garbage men are volunteers?

OFC it costs! Either by direct monthly fee, subdivision yearly fee, or your taxes... you pay for it.

Aeval

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
Wow, you guys have a lot of different types of pickup! That's crazy, I've never even heard of foodwaste pickup or clear/blue/tinted bags being required. The only people who do a separate food waste bin here is because they have their own compost.

We just have regular old trash and recycle. We throw the cardboard, plastic, etc all in together in the recycle. They separate everything for you. Our trash is really awesome too, they'll take anything. My husband's grill got destroyed in a storm and we just wheeled it out there and they took it. Same with a huge TV once.

OMG that would never happen home...electronics have to be taken to a separate location all together for disposal, for a fee, of course.:smiley24: The grill would have to wait for the one week in the year that they'll pick up heavy garbage, which almost anything can go...no yard waste (limbs, etc).

Minderella

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Garbage men pick up trash simply out of the goodness of their hearts. They don't want the world to be full of litter. *sunshine*

Minderella

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z

We don't even have recycling, just straight garbage pick up and they take anything and EVERYTHING. No matter what we've put out there, they've taken it.

Kyle B

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I was unaware it cost to remove my trash.... I surely do not pay for garbage removal... Maybe my parents for removal as they own the building.

I know in my town, if you live in the village you get free garbage removal (covered by taxes) and if you live in the town, you have to pay for a company to take your garbage.

Natasha

La entrepierna de fuego
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,352.51z
LMFAO...I'm not saying you're an idiot, Dana...but that was pretty naive. ;) Of course, my brother only realized once we explained it to him that you actually have to PAY for water and electricity and it's not something you just get.

Dana

In Memoriam - RIP
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.17z
LMFAO...I'm not saying you're an idiot, Dana...but that was pretty naive. ;) Of course, my brother only realized once we explained it to him that you actually have to PAY for water and electricity and it's not something you just get.

Well, I'm not that stupid... But I do know the town does the trash removal not some special company... Yes Jezz? :tooth

Natasha

La entrepierna de fuego
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,352.51z
Well, I'm not that stupid... But I do know the town does the trash removal not some special company... Yes Jezz? :tooth

That's normal in a municipality. For instance, I pay for water and sewage on one bill and the city handles it.

78,865Threads
2,185,202Messages
4,953Members
Back