No Longer Using Tapatalk!

Users who are viewing this thread

Jordan

I'm useless. I know.
Administrator
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,029.43z
I'm afraid I have to tell our mobile users that Off Topicz is no longer using Tapatalk!
The sad news is due to several vulnerabilities that the plugin seems to create. In the latest one, it was a X-scripting vulnerability.

For those of you who are unaware of what an XSS attack is, here is a quick quote:
Cross-Site Scripting vulnerabilities allow a third party to manipulate the content or behavior of a web application in a user's browser, without compromising the underlying system.
Cross-Site Scripting vulnerabilities are often used against specific users of a website to steal their credentials or to conduct spoofing attacks.

Tapatalk did end up fixing the vulnerability in the end. Some of you may then ask me why I don't update, and still use it. The answer is simple.
This is not the first time they had a vulnerability. In fact, it is one of many. However, that is not the main reason. The main reason is because when they updated their plugin, they did not even bother to inform any of their users, or administrators to update the plugin, nor let us know that there was a vulnerability to begin with. Which is a big nono for me. Even now as I write this up chances are most forum owners who are running Tapatalk, probably do not know they are vulnerable.

I take security and privacy very seriously. As a result, the plugin was removed all together.

I will once again tell our users, that Off Topicz is mobile friendly. With a beautiful responsive design, you can go to your mobiles browser and enter in offtopicz.net and still browse the site flawlessly.

For those of you who still would rather an application for browsing on mobile devices, we are looking at alternatives. I know a couple users had mention Forum Runner in the past. Though, in order for any user to use Forum Runner, they must first purchase the app for $2. I'm not one to force users to buy a THIRD PARTY app at that, to use a FREE forum.
Who knows, we might just build our own app dedicated to Off Topicz.

For those of you who have used Tapatalk, please be aware, you will no longer be able to use it on Off Topicz. The listing for Off Topicz will be removed from their directory soon.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
No wonder I couldnt get tapatalk to work the last couple of hours lol
I am all for a custom app...cool.

Jordan

I'm useless. I know.
Administrator
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,029.43z
No wonder I couldnt get tapatalk to work the last couple of hours lol
I am all for a custom app...cool.
Would be a couple problems with the custom app though.
1) It will only be available for iPhone and Android users. As I only have a iOS Developer and an Android Developer account. Will not be available for window phones, or blackberries.
2) If I decided to go with a custom app, developing one won't take a day. It will be awhile before its released.

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
I can wait...I just got spoiled with tapatalk..am using the phone now which works fine..I will miss the tapatalk notifications more than anything though.

Jordan

I'm useless. I know.
Administrator
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,029.43z
I can wait...I just got spoiled with tapatalk..am using the phone now which works fine..I will miss the tapatalk notifications more than anything though.
If there is enough demand, I can purchase a XenForo Pushover plugin.

You can download the Pushover client on iOS, Android, or even your computer. It will then give you push notifications when you get new alerts or messages the same way tapatalk did. Only if there is enough demand as it is $30. The pushover app itself for you to download on your mobile devices are free.

Natasha

La entrepierna de fuego
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,348.51z
Can we put the forum on ForumRunner? Some of us already paid for the app quiet some time ago.

Also, unless it changed, it was free on Android devices.

Natasha

La entrepierna de fuego
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,348.51z
Oh yeaaaaaah. I forgot it DID cost. I think it was 99 cents when I bought it. I remember it being $1 more for iPhone.

I think we should do it. If people don't want to pay, they won't buy it...it's as simple as that.

And yes, I know there is a mobile version of the site...I just prefer having an app for it instead.

porterjack

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
I have tried all weekend using the mobile version it was awful

I miss tapatalk

I wont be able to use this forum weekends or evenings until we get an alternative

Natasha

La entrepierna de fuego
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,348.51z
I also don't use the mobile version. Wish the forum was on ForumRunner at least.

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
I miss my tapatalk as well...but I do understand the decision to dump it.

Natasha

La entrepierna de fuego
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,348.51z
I prefer ForumRunner, but the other forum I'm on isn't on there...so it would be nice to have this one on TapaTalk as well. But oh well.

I can say that I will NOT be using the mobile version on my browser. Just a personal preference, I know, but I dislike it. Immensely.

Jordan

I'm useless. I know.
Administrator
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,029.43z
I understand the gap it left when making the decision to remove tapatalk from OTz.
I am pretty confidant on making our own application for both iOS and android users to use. However, in the mean time I may just install forum runner for those wishing to use some sort of application.

Jordan

I'm useless. I know.
Administrator
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,029.43z
I'm afraid I am unable to install Forum Runner until they delete the previous account on their service. I have contacted them to do so:
bJa65l8.png

78,865Threads
2,185,202Messages
4,953Members
Back