Is family important to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Spade

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.35z
The title should be enough for any TL : DRs. Here's plenty more questions! What exactly does family mean to you, and what is the meaning of being in a family? Is it blood, do you have to be related to someone by blood to be family? How about being related by marriage and not blood? So then the family name and relations has importance? What about your friends that are 'like family'? What does it take for a friend to become family? Extended contact, or a real bond, what kind of bond is it, sharing similar interests? Then what is the importance of being in that family? Exactly what is it about being in a family that compels others to act with less regard for themselves, to go out of their way to help? What are you expected to do as part of a family, and what do you expect others to do for you? Why is being in a family, and active in its activities important?

Why ask? Because I don't understand the concept of family at its core, all of the questions I ask to you are the ones I have asked myself and I have trouble answering them if I can at all. I wonder if it makes me some sort of psychopath that I don't really care. My grandmother fell and broke her hip just last week and I have to make an effort to remind myself to ask others about her condition so that I don't appear to be uncaring. The same goes with other family members lives and troubles. I literally have a notepad that I keep with me with family members' names on it and a list of their general situations so that I ask the right questions and seem interested in their lives.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

AUFred

WAR EAGLE!!!
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
2,321.37z
Extended family can be a challenge to know what is going on with each memner of your family. I am closer to my wife than blood relatives. I often feel closer to my in-laws than many of my family members. I have had friends who were like a brother or sister as well.

tajnz

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I think family refers to the people who care about you and who you care about as someone can be biologically related to you and not care about you and those who don't share your blood could genuinely care about you. ;)

My blood family is extremely important to me being an only child, with no first cousins and all four grandparents alive in living in the same city as me but there are also family friends, like my mom and dads best friends who I see as my uncles and aunts. Some of them I'm even closer to than my real aunt and uncle. :)

Also my step dad and his family are as precious to me as my blood family. My step dad never tells anyone that I'm his step daughter and refers to me simply as his daughter, the same goes for his parents who are proud to call me their granddaughter and shower me with warm hugs and affection every time I see them.

NobodysSon

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I have fallen out of touch with my close and extended family, and though it probably makes me sound like a bad person, I'm okay with that. We were never a close family to start with and being on other sides of the continent hasn't really changed anything for me. That said, as I get older, I have been starting to get the urge to rebuild that relationship.

mazHur

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
A Family is Nothing but a feeling of belonging to something, someone related by blood or friendship. This sense of 'belonging' could be friendly, hostile or neutral depending upon how mutual attitudes are.

Pierre Eustache

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.12z
Family is really important to me; i consider that someone is my family only by blood and related by marriage! A friend is a friend; and i think friendship is as strong as family; so, i don't have to deal between them! By example, a family by blood is for life; a friend can be better than a family member!

A strict family is a father, a mother and their children ( or just mother and father)! Extended family may include aunt, cousin, grand parents, etc...

whnuien

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.21z
My very own family (my husband and my daughter) are very important to me. They are the reason of my life now until the end but I will never expect them to return the same favour to me. I love them just because I love them. As for other family members of mine and also close friends, they are the first people I appreciate in my life because they make me feel like I'm belong somewhere and I'm not alone. When someday I get in trouble then they will be the first people I know I could reach out, they know who I am and that is what important.

J3NN4

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
My close family is extremely important to me. I'd do anything for them.

The rest of my family is pretty big, and spread out, so we mostly end up talking over Facebook or texting since the majority don't even live in the same time zone.

They're all still important to me, and I like knowing how things are going for them.

I consider my uncle to be my best friend, and my mom and I do almost everything together.

asereht1970

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
My family is the most important thing in my life. Although we don't often see things eye to eye, I still can't imagine life without them. I wouldn't trade them for anything. Also my bestfriend is like my sister to me so she also belongs to the family.

azrmacc

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Family's important, but remember - family doesn't always mean it's by blood. You could have the most horrible relatives in the world who don't care about you and you wouldn't really consider them family. You could have friends who value you more than your blood relatives, and you see them as your family.

Anyways, in the end, family's all you've got. Who will help you when you're down? Who will be by your side all (if not most) of the time?

System32

Reaction score
Tokenz
105.82z
Family is the base of society. If the family is broken or disfunctional, that child will become disfunctional. Strong family = strong society.
I came to a concludion how there is somebody who desires family destroyed and we can see that in america. 80% of divorced initiated by women. Feminism (modern) brainwashes young girl mind and future of america is clearly a downfall. A moral downfall. We people from Europe watch in disgust what is going on there. :D

Salt

Reaction score
Tokenz
246.55z
Yes my family is so important for me and I am talking about my immediate family and not my cousins, uncle and aunties because they are not good

Brad P

Reaction score
Tokenz
403.30z
It’s a tough one to say to be honest my own flesh and blood of my sister and mum I don’t have a great relationship with now and to be honest I wouldn’t trust them.
I feel my girlfriend I can trust with anything and will always have my back.

78,864Threads
2,185,192Messages
4,953Members
Back