I'm that old I can....

Users who are viewing this thread

Springsteen

Number 2, Rafael!
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
Yep we had tickets too. You got 4 if you were a kid, and 8 for an adult. Then they switched to the electronic system a few years back (I forget exactly when).

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Francis

Sarcasm is me :)
Reaction score
Tokenz
2.08z
Me too. Our local library was in a converted convent chapel, everything was done with card indexes and library tickets, and the only sound permitted was the deafening thud of the rubber stamp used to mark the due date in the books!

Video tapes were new, the local record shop doubled as a video rental shop, stocked VHS and Beta and had a Space Invaders machine.

Tickets ?

We had paper cards that got stamped.. Could not take out more than 2 books as a kid and 4 as adults..

Kakapo Dundee

Reaction score
Tokenz
644.22z
Library 'tickets' were a little pouch with your name and address on them.

G00000112_1137_co_zpsbe90ebc0.jpg

when you wanted a book, you presented your ticket at the issue counter. a card was taken from the back of your book and placed in the pouch. The return date was stamped in the back of the book, and the library kept your ticket until you returned the book.

Francis

Sarcasm is me :)
Reaction score
Tokenz
2.08z
Library 'tickets' were a little pouch with your name and address on them.

G00000112_1137_co_zpsbe90ebc0.jpg

when you wanted a book, you presented your ticket at the issue counter. a card was taken from the back of your book and placed in the pouch. The return date was stamped in the back of the book, and the library kept your ticket until you returned the book.

Yah I remember those but we only had those in our school library..

Never really thought of them as a ticket and as far as I recall they called them book cards..

Kakapo Dundee

Reaction score
Tokenz
644.22z
As for gas prices, Iremember being young enough that the price of gas didn't matter. Mum just stopped off at the two pumps on the car dealership forecourt, passed the pump jockey five pounds, he filled the tank and still had time to check the oil and water, and we were good for another week.

Joe the meek

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
Taken yesterday in my nephews room (Thanksgiving).

a.jpg

I remember them doing away with Pluto, kind of strange not seeing it up on the wall.

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
I am that old I can remember when your mother moaned it was because of pleasure, and not from the arthritis of today.

Kyle B

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
As for gas prices, Iremember being young enough that the price of gas didn't matter. Mum just stopped off at the two pumps on the car dealership forecourt, passed the pump jockey five pounds, he filled the tank and still had time to check the oil and water, and we were good for another week.

Gas is down to 3.85.

MsPoppy

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I also remember milkman deliveries and bottle pick-ups. Also the huckster truck, and our insurance man coming to the house often...I don't know if it was monthly but it seems like it. His name was Ben.

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
Figures.

I'm glad it isn't 4.05 or whatever the hell it was like two weeks ago.

I hear that...it was close to bucks for awhile here.
Odd isnt it...same gas just a different place.
I often see a quarter a gallon variation within 100 miles from me when I am out driving.

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
I also remember milkman deliveries and bottle pick-ups. Also the huckster truck, and our insurance man coming to the house often...I don't know if it was monthly but it seems like it. His name was Ben.

I also remember the milkman.
There was diaper pick up for a while to...but it didnt last long.
Knobs on the tv...that had to warm up about a half a minute.
A coca cola was good....especially the small 7 ounce ones.

78,865Threads
2,185,212Messages
4,953Members
Back