How's your relationship with your parents?

Users who are viewing this thread

Igor Sobral

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.11z
I've met all kinds of family-affectuous sons, some never liked their parents and wish they could just leave their homes and go live alone. Some are too clingy to their parents and talk to them 24/7, even at school or at work. And others, like me, have no definition. My relationship with my mother is just about any other normal teen would have - love/hate situations but overall she's just what I could ask for. But I sometimes spend 1 week without talking to/seeing her and doesn't bother me at all. I'm not clingy at all. What's your situation? How are you guys with your parents?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

Qamra

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Me and my parents have gone a long way. I fought with my mum a lot as a teenage girl and didn't get on with my dad at all. Like every young person, I thought I knew it all. Now mum is my biggest support and I understand she was right most of the time in the past. I can't imagine my life without her.
It's pretty much the same with my dad, now that we can talk like two reasonable adults.

I hope you will be best friends with your parents one day :)

AUFred

WAR EAGLE!!!
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
2,517.55z
My mom turns 75 this December. I talk to her regularly but we rarely actually visit.

mintyfish

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
My mom is my best friend. Sometimes our relationship is more of friend-friend than mother-daughter, but that doesn't really bother me. I fought with her a little when I was a teenager, but never like I did with my dad. After I went off to college, my dad and I had a much better relationship in terms of not fighting (as you do when you are 1000 miles away), but my parents have recently split up and I haven't talked to my dad in a few months.

It's difficult because as much as I have truly hated my dad for everything he has done (and he has done some pretty awful stuff), I still miss having a father. But I don't know if I can ever actually talk to him again.

Igor Sobral

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.11z
Me and my parents have gone a long way. I fought with my mum a lot as a teenage girl and didn't get on with my dad at all. Like every young person, I thought I knew it all. Now mum is my biggest support and I understand she was right most of the time in the past. I can't imagine my life without her.
It's pretty much the same with my dad, now that we can talk like two reasonable adults.

I hope you will be best friends with your parents one day :)

Although I'm not clingy to my mom, she is still and will always be [I hope] my best friend, but I just don't feel the need of talking to her all the time like some kids of my age (18) do, is that weird? Like when I received my Psychology test and I got an A, all the other kids called their moms right after class to tell them the grade.

ejazu

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I used to tell my mom everything but now that I've moved to the college hostel, it doesn't happen as much. I see my room mate narrating every hour's events to his parents which makes me wonder if I should do that too. But I just don't feel like telling them that much and its better that way. "How are you? , "Fine" and "Take care of your health". These are the standard dialogues of every phone conversation I have with my mom.

brezzy

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.41z
I've met all kinds of family-affectuous sons, some never liked their parents and wish they could just leave their homes and go live alone. Some are too clingy to their parents and talk to them 24/7, even at school or at work. And others, like me, have no definition. My relationship with my mother is just about any other normal teen would have - love/hate situations but overall she's just what I could ask for. But I sometimes spend 1 week without talking to/seeing her and doesn't bother me at all. I'm not clingy at all. What's your situation? How are you guys with your parents?

I love my parents so much. I am so thankful that God gave me such parents. But I am not that clingy, they taught me already how to be responsible daughter and I think they are happy that I learned it good.

Since college I was not living already with them but I always love to visit home and jam with my whole family. They are just fun to be with but it as well important to not be so dependent with them the whole life and learn instead to help them someday.

WiccanWitch

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I was raised by my grandparents from 3 weeks old. I didn't get to know my mom until I was 13 and my dad, well he tried to kidnap me, twice, and then tried to kill me. You can guess how my relationship with him is. Unfortunately, I still yearn to have a relationship with him. My mom and I had gotten close until she moved a couple years ago. Now it seems she's forgotten who her family is. My grandparents were amazing. They put up with so much of my crap. I was a terrible teenager, at least from 10 - 13. I caused a lot of damage just in those short years. Not just to my family, strangers, etc, but also to myself. My grandparents of course tried to set me on the right path, but accepted me regardless. Though they were never too shy to tell me exactly how it was. It was actually my grandpa who walked me down the aisle in 2005, with my grandma sitting directly in front of the alter. Both grandparents passed away in 2006. Something I have yet to over come is the sense of loss from losing them. I wasn't ready. They were my biggest support group. Through all the pregnancy and infant losses I had faced, the sexual assaults, the relationship drama between my husband and I...I needed them. I know it's selfish, but I felt cheated when they passed away. My grandpa passed November 24th 2006, I had my first healthy child the year after on November 16th, 2007.
My grandparents had an amazing relationship, they were and still are my heros.

ReadmeByAmy

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
I was born and raised to a family who are very close to each other. Our parents are the most caring and loving to all of us their children. They are always there to support us not only physically, emotionally, spiritually and most of all financially. Even me and my siblings had our own families already we see to it that we always takes time to visit our parents weekly to bond with them and to share our stories with them be it happy or sad and we always welcome whatever good advises they will give us and they are always there to listen. My parents are our inspiration in our life. We are a happy family and we want that their grandchildren will also cherish the love they are giving to us. And when the times come that these children will also have their own families we want that our family will be their role model so that they will also give the same love to us their parents.

Ricardo187

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.03z
I've always been close to my parents, both of them. Since they divorced and my father went to germany, I don't see him for about six months now, though we speak almost everyday. I'd say that I have a close relationship. Of-course there are matters we don't talk about, but we are, lets say, good friends. Both with my mother and my father. I can count on them for everything and they trust me really much, which I appreciate.

Kaylahambrick

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
The relationship I have with my parents is unique. Some days we get so mad at eachother and want to rip eachothers hair out and some days we all love eachother and do everything we can for eachother! I love both of my parents to death, and I wouldn't know what to do without them. They've been my rocks to lean on when I was weak, and my pedestal to put me up higher when I was winning or soaring in something. They have brought me up to be a lady and to love everyone with everything I've got. They showed me how to act and the best ways to do certain things. They've grown me into the girl I am today, and now everything they ever taught me has come in to play, and I can proudly say that it all worked out in my favor! I love them to absolute death.

Catavenger

Still a newbie
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
My parents have both passed on. I didn't always get along with my father but when he died we were on good terms. I am grateful for that. I wish that my brother had made up with my dad.

Shortie

Reaction score
Tokenz
334.99z
I have a good relationship with my parents, there have been times when I was a teenager when I had arguments with them and disagreements but now that I am older we have a great relationship and talk frequently. My dad at the moment isn't doing too well and can no longer walk and does have issues with things so we always try to visit and see him as and when we can.

cherry123

Reaction score
Tokenz
157.93z
i have a good relationship with them though we are far away but we talk all the time especially my mum we are cool like that

Blessed19

Reaction score
Tokenz
883.68z
I am having a very good relationship with my parents and especially my mum as she has always been there for me and the entire family. My dad is a man that when we are at home we always plays and listens to us all and we love them both

Veronica

The OG
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
316.98z
My relationship with my mom and dad have been strained as of late. I love them.. but I have realized, I can love them from afar so I can protect my heart.

MrDawn

Reaction score
Tokenz
336.73z
My relationship with my mother is great. I don't know about my step father seeing as we rarely speak. My biological father disowned me when I was 15.

78,869Threads
2,185,249Messages
4,954Members
Back