Gym Vs Home

Users who are viewing this thread

kaiuk

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.85z
How do you do your workout, in the gym or at home?

I used to go to a gym which has certain benefits like the extra incentive to train, better equipment, and working out with other people. But is it worth the extra costs? I recently bought some weights and a bench to workout at home and haven't noticed any change in muscle from when i paid to go to a gym.

What do you think are the pros and cons of working out in the gym and at home?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Manny030

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I workout at the gym, it's only $20 per month and has a huge selection of machines and weights, sauna, and all kind of classes you can join for free. A treadmill at home would be cool though.

[video=youtube;qNPhVVjnoC0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNPhVVjnoC0[/video]

orzz

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Depending on my schedule I'll either go to the gym or workout at home, working out at an actual gym has the benefit of not wasting time/procrastinating. If you're surrounded by others and have people watching you you're going to give it your 100%!

Denis Hard

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
For me I have no choice. If I were to go to the gym [though it would be much better] I'd have to drive for an hour [that's one-way]. To save on the cash I'd spend on the gas for the back and forth trip into town and back, I'd rather jog around the hills, do some push-ups. . .and, well, stay fit.

writeletters

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
A gym is better in many ways.
-trained professional help
-injuries immediately looked at by those professionals
-equipment
-friendly atmosphere
-it's nice leaving home sometimes
-range of activities
-classes

Ryguy3026

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Pros of a home gym:

• Definitely cleanliness of you home gym. No one else uses and sweats all over the equipment.
  • You decide the arrangement and what equipment you have.
  • There are no distractions such as seeing friends and talking to them for too long.
  • You can blast loud music without annoying earbuds in or headphones on.
  • It's much cheaper after the initial investment of the equipment. No fees.
  • You don't need to get in your car and drive to the gym.
  • If you can get motivated, it's much more effective.
  • You don't have to wait your turn for equipment. The longer you wait between sets, the worse it is for hypertrophy (muscle gain.)
  • You can always have a trusted workout buddy come over.
Cons of a Home Gym:

• Expensive equipment
  • Can be less motivational
If you can't tell I'm a HUGE fan of home gyms if you have the money or the skills to build one yourself.
Heres a great link to making your own equipment for very cheap! http://www.home-gym-bodybuilding.com/homemade-equipment.html

SS42A

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I used to own a treadmill at home, but it's kind of expensive maintaining it. I still prefer to exercise beyond the comfort of my home.

Dave

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I have some equipment at home and dont have the money to waste, so I always work out at home. Whats the pointing of spending money on a gym membership if I can do all the things I want to do at home?

MindyT

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I wish I had the room for exercise equipment, but I don't. I can't seem to find a gym I like that is cheap enough to afford each month. Any suggestions?

ReadmeByAmy

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.04z
I only had a simple exercise regimen at home. Just simple warm ups then doing the zumba dance until I perspire and that's makes me feel good already. Alternately I just walked every morning at least 30 minutes around the park near our house. So, its just okay that I do my it at home rather than going to a gym :)

CoachV

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I use the gym because it makes me work out. If I'm going to spend money on something then I'm going to use it! Plus it's fun to get on a bike and watch tv at the same time :) I usually go and watch Around the Horn and PTI back to back while on the bike. Get my cardio done and catch up on the daily sports gossip.

mauricioq

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Well, I've already exercised in both and to be honest I actually prefer the outdoors.
I go to my local park and star running around, after a while you get to know the people who also run there and you can trade exercises.

jazzalazz

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I prefer to go to the gym, but a few times a week I will instead run around the neighborhood and do exercises that do not require equipment.

Bictor

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
The benefits of a gym are that you have a plethora of gym equipment that can be accessed, the only thing to do at the gym is to workout, and you have other people there to help motivate you. Gym equipment is expensive, so access to a gym helps you with the variety of training equipment. Benches, weights, jump ropes, and more. These things add up. At home, you may have the tendency to be distracted from your workout. However, at the gym, you set aside time to enter a place when you can only work out. This makes a difference in the intensity and motivation of your workouts. Having other people there can help you access your health and learn new workouts. At home, you are solely held accountable for yourself. At the gym, you gain access to a network of people that also seek self improvement, which is a great asset for your own self improvement.

Ryguy3026

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I have some equipment at home and don't have the money to waste, so I always work out at home. Whats the pointing of spending money on a gym membership if I can do all the things I want to do at home?
Good point. Same idea for me. I have a home gym machine, and a lot of free weights and I plan on getting a power rack soon. If I don't have the machine for it, I improvise.

Chaos

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I train at a gym but sometimes in my free days I train abs and calves at home. It's very hard and expensive to buy all the necessary equipment to create your own gym and without dumbells, barbells, different weight disks and a few training machines you will not obtain any visible results. Also in the gym you are not alone and seeing others training hard will also motivate you to train hard.

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z

Cons of a Home Gym:

• Expensive equipment
  • Can be less motivational

If you are a fitness enthusiast, with the pass of the time you will find that you are paying much more than a home gym equipment may cost.

As for the motivational part, many people go to gyms to socialize, but it's supposed that the Internets serves to this purpose and, in real life, there are many other motivational reason to workout that doesn't involve paying a costly membership.

griz bear

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
a0zs.jpg

and a little wet snow, works fine

78,865Threads
2,185,213Messages
4,953Members
Back