Do You Believe That God Exists?

Users who are viewing this thread

sidney

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.79z
It has long been debated that God either exists or He doesn't. Since no one presently living in our time has seen Him in the flesh, we just rely on our chosen religion and in the Bible, Koran, etc. to base our faith in. So where do you stand on this? Do you believe that there's really a God that exists or not?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

azrmacc

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I believe that God exists. I believe he created us, this world, everything. After all, if this was all Big Bang, how can there be so much organisation from a "nothing's" accident? Also, a lot of things we discover, a lot of things we realise, it's all written in the Bible, and that's much older than everyone else here, and even older than a lot of religions we have today.

xTinx

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I do believe God is there - always has and always will. It's not easy to explain why I believe in Him. There are far too many coincidences and sudden bursts of hopes in this world to discount His involvement. I don't want to sound dogmatic but if even the greatest of minds cannot explain the things we see before us (though most of them pretend they do), I'm sure my comment here will never be enough to prove God's existence. You have to open every inch of your being to feel His presence.

Greatest I am

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.09z
Gnostic Christians like myself believe that the only God worthy to rule man is a man or a woman.

We recognize that all Gods and scriptures are myths and that all that has even been said of God came from the imagination of men.

Regards
DL

sidney

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.79z
Gnostic Christians like myself believe that the only God worthy to rule man is a man or a woman.

We recognize that all Gods and scriptures are myths and that all that has even been said of God came from the imagination of men.

Regards
DL

I'm confused with this statement. So you don't believe in a higher being at all, and you think that a man or a woman is the worthy ruler of all mankind if ever there was a God?

Uncle Doc J

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.05z
Regards
DL
I'm confused with this statement. So you don't believe in a higher being at all, and you think that a man or a woman is the worthy ruler of all mankind if ever there was a God?
'Answering in his stead' (which is an interpretation of the power our Rabbi Jesus Christ gave us, yes?), I would say that Gnostic Christians ... have "Gnosis,' the knowledge of the Gospel Truth. It's NOT 'that some guy died so that we don't have to' (if you look at it plainly, you can see that NO HE DIDN'T! As plenty of dead Christians stand as proof!). Rather, it's basically 'that we're paid-for as if He did' or something.

Once you know Gnosis, the Holy Bible is revealed as 'simply a tool to teach you Gnosis.' It's revealed as (like most of mankind's wonderful systems) a 'collaboration' (partly conscious, but most of the participants mostly unaware of the universal applications) of individual 'voices of God' "mashed-up" into one work.

Of course, I'm 're-labeling' his Gnostic Christianity with my (Nichiren) Buddhist Christianity. In Nichiren Buddhism, a Buddha is 'one who-hears the Divine Voice and -sees the Divine's pattern and -follows Its commands and steps (making Jesus the 'Buddha' of Jews & Christians (& Muslims?)).

This is where GC & NBC may differ: NBC regards itself as a 'discipleship' (following the traditional definition, in which a disciple's purpose is to one day 'be promoted' & replace the master), and so their main prayer/meditation is an echo of that of the master himself (the title of his masterpiece-dialogue, occasionally recited in its entirety); GC may be more about 'believing that we are safe,' with "discipleship" being more like 'going the extra mile and getting a Ph.D. in "being safe."'

missbishi

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.28z
...all that has even been said of God came from the imagination of men.

This is true. At school, we are taught that God is some old guy with white hair and a beard who sits up in the sky on a cloud. Now, tell me, how can this possibly be true?

What do people here think God actually is?

Gemma

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.02z
I'm willing to believe that there is a powerful being or beings that people believe is a god. Perhaps that entity or entities gains power from the beliefs of their followers and/or will intercede on their behalf occasionally. I personally tend to 'worship' nature and the elements rather than a specific god.

Uncle Doc J

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.05z
I'm willing to believe that there is a powerful being or beings that people believe is a god. Perhaps that entity or entities gains power from the beliefs of their followers and/or will intercede on their behalf occasionally. I personally tend to 'worship' nature and the elements rather than a specific god.

This reminds me of Loki (Thor's-dad-Zeus's adopted son) talking with Zeus about how they're 'practically' god to us Earthlings because they live a few thousand years longer and have their alien superpowers.

This is true. At school, we are taught that God is some old guy with white hair and a beard who sits up in the sky on a cloud. Now, tell me, how can this possibly be true?

What do people here think God actually is?

Where does that picture originate---the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel? Because I don't think that's how the Bible pictures him (except to say that he's 'the father' of Jesus, Joseph, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Adam & Eve etc.... thus giving us whatever image we stick to 'Ancient Grandfather).

St. Patrick used the 'Shamrock' (three-leafed clover) to illustrate God's Singular/Tripular state---(the three leaves being parts of the one shamrock the way The Father & The Son & The Holy Spirit are one being). I think of the three as 'ages-of-a-man'---once I was/am young, soon I am/will-be old,, then 'I' will be 'my progeny and the things I've created & left behind.' That last one is 'what God is now.'

hoodoowytch

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.30z
I think "god" is a concept, an idea, that is different for everyone. For most folks, it's pretty clear their god is money. For some people their idea of god is a vengeful, hateful, bloodthirsty, asshole with the insecurities of a teen-ager. For others, god is a feminine idea that embodies the Earth and the spiritual power of women...a nurturing aspect that is less about domination and control and more about the nurture, care, love and respect for all living things. Do I buy into the idea of some big daddy-beard in the sky? NO. I think "god" is the higher spiritual selves of all living things that is a part of this great vast Universe/Multiverse. Any religion and it's followers that says they have the only "one true religion" and "worships the only real god" is dangerous and, in my opinion, should be destroyed for the betterment of creation.

joshposh

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
I do not believe in god. He is a figment of our imagination and were told at a young age that he is real. Kind of like how we were told that the Easter bunny and Santa Claus exist, but they don't. Unruly primitive men conjured up god in every religion known on earth. They made up fantasy stories to explain how everything was created. Reason being, modern science theories and early theorist wasn't around until thousands of years later. That is why science doesn't exist in religion.

Lushlala

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I am a Catholic, but don't practice. But I do believe that there is a higher being, the creator and our saviour. I don't subscribe to the school of thought that any one God is superior to the rest. I strongly believe we all worship the same God, except we give it a different name dependent on our religion. I believe in the power of prayer and faith, believing. So yes, I believe that there is a God :)

sidney

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.79z
'Answering in his stead' (which is an interpretation of the power our Rabbi Jesus Christ gave us, yes?), I would say that Gnostic Christians ... have "Gnosis,' the knowledge of the Gospel Truth. It's NOT 'that some guy died so that we don't have to' (if you look at it plainly, you can see that NO HE DIDN'T! As plenty of dead Christians stand as proof!). Rather, it's basically 'that we're paid-for as if He did' or something.

Once you know Gnosis, the Holy Bible is revealed as 'simply a tool to teach you Gnosis.' It's revealed as (like most of mankind's wonderful systems) a 'collaboration' (partly conscious, but most of the participants mostly unaware of the universal applications) of individual 'voices of God' "mashed-up" into one work.

Of course, I'm 're-labeling' his Gnostic Christianity with my (Nichiren) Buddhist Christianity. In Nichiren Buddhism, a Buddha is 'one who-hears the Divine Voice and -sees the Divine's pattern and -follows Its commands and steps (making Jesus the 'Buddha' of Jews & Christians (& Muslims?)).

This is where GC & NBC may differ: NBC regards itself as a 'discipleship' (following the traditional definition, in which a disciple's purpose is to one day 'be promoted' & replace the master), and so their main prayer/meditation is an echo of that of the master himself (the title of his masterpiece-dialogue, occasionally recited in its entirety); GC may be more about 'believing that we are safe,' with "discipleship" being more like 'going the extra mile and getting a Ph.D. in "being safe."'

You sure know a lot about religion, I can't relate to most of what you said, lol! I'm a Catholic, but I don't believe in some of the things that the priest is teaching and preaching, so I doubt quite a lot of what the bible preaches, with the exception of the Revelation chapter. I also have my doubts if there is a God, but I'd like to think that there is. I just don't know if what He looks like is accurately depicted by the artists.

Lushlala

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
You sure know a lot about religion, I can't relate to most of what you said, lol! I'm a Catholic, but I don't believe in some of the things that the priest is teaching and preaching, so I doubt quite a lot of what the bible preaches, with the exception of the Revelation chapter. I also have my doubts if there is a God, but I'd like to think that there is. I just don't know if what He looks like is accurately depicted by the artists.

Sidney, I didn't think God had a "look" as such, suggesting you can't really capture any sort of image of Him? I've never actually seen any picture purporting to be of God, only Jesus. As far as I understand, God is an omni potent, all seeing being that can't being summed up in a picture. I think he is more of a powerful spirit as opposed to a "being". We're supposedly made in his likeness, each one of us.

Uncle Doc J

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.05z
I do not believe in god. He is a figment of our imagination and were told at a young age that he is real. Kind of like how we were told that the Easter bunny and Santa Claus exist, but they don't. Unruly primitive men conjured up god in every religion known on earth. They made up fantasy stories to explain how everything was created. Reason being, modern science theories and early theorist wasn't around until thousands of years later. That is why science doesn't exist in religion.

If God exists to us, it's the same way the U.S. President exists to soldiers overseas.

D`oh! The end-times B.S. is one of the Bible-parts I believe in LEAST!

Jesus Christ himself said "Save tomorrow's troubles for tomorrow; worry about today. Why worry about things you cannot control?"

True, He also talked about 'being ready like the bridesmaids for the soon-coming bridegroom,' telling us the story of the five bridesmaids who prepared extra candle-oil and the five who didn't and thus lacked it when they needed it and thus were left behind; but when co-'Bible studiers' bring up that end-times kerfluffle, I feel I should ask them, 'How will "knowing this" change the way I follow Jesus?"

I think it was merely tacked-onto the Bible to 'skurrr reeeel gooood' the non-believers into "believing in Christ."

joshposh

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
If God exists to us, it's the same way the U.S. President exists to soldiers overseas.

I can't believe you said that. That makes no sense at all. God doesn't exist. People conjured up the idea of him. The president is real and you see him all the time on TV or at making a public speech. Your analogy make no sense like how god doesn't make any sense.

Uncle Doc J

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.05z
I can't believe you said that. That makes no sense at all. God doesn't exist. People conjured up the idea of him. The president is real and you see him all the time on TV or at making a public speech. Your analogy make no sense like how god doesn't make any sense.
You see Santa Claus all the time on TV or with children in his lap at the mall :couchpotato:

78,865Threads
2,185,212Messages
4,953Members
Back