Can I interest you in a new forum software?

Users who are viewing this thread

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Jordan

I'm useless. I know.
Administrator
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,041.43z
I'm glad you guys managed to switch from vB.
XenForo is much more cleaner I find. Up to date with technology, and more user friendly.

It is A LOT better on SEO. No need to buy $100's worth of addons to get SEO in good standing.
You know vB is dying when a lot of the top internet forums are switching from vB to XenForo.

I would love for some of you to check out Digital Point's (17 million posts forum) thread. He explains all the positive things XenForo has done since the switch:
https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/one-month-after-switching-from-vbulletin-to-xenforo.2637721/

"Servers are now needing about half the resources to do the same job."

digitalpoint said:
If I could go back in time and redo the vBulletin -> XenForo migration (even starting before I had to rewrite all our custom stuff), would I still do it? Absolutely yes. It's one of the best decisions (although a tough one) I've ever made. The site is faster, uses less resources, and it's a much better platform to build custom stuff on top of (which is a huge factor for me).

As you can see, Moving to XenForo is probably for the best :D

For those of who you do not know, Here is a little backstory of XenForo:
Code:
The reality is, the great reputation vB once had only came due to the strong community and quality development of the old team before Jelsoft was acquired by Internet Brands, and this is when things started to go downhill (in 2009 Kier Darby, Mike Sullivan and Scott MacVicar all left vB/IB)

IB was merely riding the wave of the old development team and the older quality versions of vB and as expected once the original core team left, the quality of the product suffered as a result: This brings us to vBulletin 5 Connect. Not only was vB5 released as “gold” lacking many basic features that vB4 had but the forum software is considered to be a joke by many forum administrators and even some of the largest forum sites that were previously using vBulletin made the switch to XenForo ditching vB all together.

The original vB team had left and started their own forum software (XenForo). Not only did they succeed, but they managed to build a forum software that would be much more modern and up to date then vB. Once Internet Brands realized that they may actually be hurt in this, they sued XenForo and the old developers who worked for them. It was a long long process which actually took years to finally come to an agreement and finish. The thing is, vB's case was saying code was stolen etc etc. When even the people vB hired to go through XenForo to prove their case, even said and testified that all of it is unique.

alakazam

not yet telekinetic
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.14z
I'm glad you guys managed to switch from vB.
XenForo is much more cleaner I find. Up to date with technology, and more user friendly.
I disagree. vBulletin is a lot more user-friendly than XenForo. XenForo always crashes on certain browsers (like Opera and the ones based on Opera) and the post editor is terrible. Turning anchor text into links is a nightmare, cause it only works once every three or four attempts...

78,865Threads
2,185,204Messages
4,953Members
Back