Autism Spectrum Disorder Support Sticky

Users who are viewing this thread

gLing

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I have awesome news, well at least for my family.

Today, my youngest sons teacher observed him in a "typical" kindergarten class for one hour!!!

They said he did very well, sat in his desk and participated in some of the flash card exercises!!

And they said it was obvious that he was very high functioning and intelligent.

I cried for about 30 minutes over it all....What amazing children they are, the Autistic.
Wonderful news!! huggers.gif

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Veronica

The OG
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
316.98z

Today, my youngest sons teacher observed him in a "typical" kindergarten class for one hour!!!

They said he did very well, sat in his desk and participated in some of the flash card exercises!!

I cried for about 30 minutes over it all....What amazing children they are, the Autistic.

That is great news!!! He will do more and more to amaze you every day! :) My son has 1 segment in a regular class room.. but he never will sit there for long. :( But they try to get him to do it. He is in 1st grade. :)

BadBoy@TheWheel

DT3's Twinkie
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
That is great news!!! He will do more and more to amaze you every day! :) My son has 1 segment in a regular class room.. but he never will sit there for long. :( But they try to get him to do it. He is in 1st grade. :)

It's amazing how much you can take for granted, you know?

When my oldest son crossed some type of developmental landmark we all were happy, but when my youngest does it, it's a really, really big deal. Every step is quite a struggle. Well worth the fight, but a fight no less.

Veronica

The OG
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
316.98z
Well, I guess I will post in here about my son.

Austin was diagnoised when he was 3 years old.. Just days after his younger brother was born. (it was VERY hard on me).. (he is 7 now) He is a mild case and is high functioning.. However, his Comprehension is VERY delayed.. He doesnt understand cause and effect all that well. He has trouble writing and doing fine motor skill stuff.. but as far as athletics, he is great. He can play a computer like no other.. but cant read.. He has emotional outbreaks where he just freaks for no reason. (or there is a reason, but I have no clue what it is). There are times when he can be the sweetest boy on this planet... but then there are times when I think the devil has gotten ahold of him.. lol

All in all, he is doing better and better everyday and I thank people like heather for that. If I didnt have the support of Austin's teachers, I dont know what I would do. Heather, you know I love you girl! :)

Veronica

The OG
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
316.98z
It's amazing how much you can take for granted, you know?

When my oldest son crossed some type of developmental landmark we all were happy, but when my youngest does it, it's a really, really big deal. Every step is quite a struggle. Well worth the fight, but a fight no less.

I know what you mean..

Austin has the mentality of a 4 year old.. and whenever he does something new or does something right.. I freak!! My 4 year old is on the same level as him, which is good because they help eachother out at times.

BadBoy@TheWheel

DT3's Twinkie
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
I know what you mean..

Austin has the mentality of a 4 year old.. and whenever he does something new or does something right.. I freak!! My 4 year old is on the same level as him, which is good because they help eachother out at times.

Oh man, my oldest boy is SUPER protective of his little brother. He tells everyone "That's Aidan...He's autistic, but hes NOT retarded, he's very smart, he cannot eat wheat or dairy though":p

They play very well together, Aidan wants to follow Austin wherever he goes.

After school, Austins freinds come over to the house and play in the backyard so Aidan can join in too.

Eeek....I am going to get emotional again.

Veronica

The OG
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
316.98z
Thats really good. :) Austin normally wont let his brother play with him.. But he does try to take on the big brother role by taking him to class in the morning.. :)

Jersey

Mrs. Dontchaknow
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.11z

YAAAAAAAAAY!!!! :clap:clap:clap Go (insert child's name here)!!!!:willy_nilly::willy_nilly:

BadBoy@TheWheel

DT3's Twinkie
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
I almost cannot believe I have not posted this yet.

Most Autistic children love the sensation of movement "locomotion", they like to rock, swing and generally love car rides, I know my own child does.

He has his own rocker/recliner, when he needs the motion, he jumps in it and rocks his heart away and it makes him calm.

He also like to be "brushed" with a baby hair brush on his back and legs, or rubbed firmly on his back.

He also loves what is called "being wieghted" he basically grabs five or six quilts we bought for him and loves for us to wrap him up, or he falls asleep under all of them, albeit he gets hot, but he sleep all night to, so it's a trade-off.

There is another few tips for the week :)

Veronica

The OG
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
316.98z
Hmm.. Mine HATES car rides.. He gets really ansy in them. I have to bring stuff to keep him occupied while we are in cars. :) But, To calm him, he does like going in circles and stuff like that.

My son loves being under blankets too.. and he will sleep hot as hell too. He will sleep with his head covered up.. It use to freak me out, but after me checking his breathing for months, I now know he is fine doing it. lol ;)

BadBoy@TheWheel

DT3's Twinkie
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
This is kind of a long story, but I am amazed at the dedication of my wife, and the willingness of our school district.

Basically we have been battling for months (really since last year) to get the school to start "mainstreaming" my youngest as much as they can, well finally this year, they have started, of course he has an aid with him at all times, still he has been going to a "typical" kindergarten class for about two hours a week.

This all came to a head when my wife discovered that another student in his class (His Adaptive Ed) class was being abusive towards him, and the techers and aids alike were having a hard time controlling this violent student. My wife went to the normal ARD meeting that those of us with special needs children are all familiar with and basically challenged the district to start mainstreaming Aidan full time, effective immediately (basically per Texas law, the district HAS TO make every attempt to MAXIMIZE the potential of each Special Needs child even if they have to hire a full time aid specifically for that child).

Now the school is obligated BY LAW to uphold the suggestion based on the concept that Aidan is in fact more capable than what they have offered in the way of a challenge to him.

Last week my wife was told that one of the faculty was going to give a little q&a to the class Aidan has been going to on Autism, my wife interjected and told her "Wouldn't you think it would be better, for somebody who actually deals with Autism everyday to do this?"

She agreed. Off my wife goes Wed. to read a small book about how children with Autism are different, but the same as well. AND YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE how the children responded, kindergarten children talking about how cool it was that they could play with an autistic child and not "catch it" and how much they loved Aidan, and how cool they all thought he was.

The faculty told my wife that what she did was amazing, namely because she stood up and basically told everyone that her son was Aidan, and he was autistci, they told her that most parents would never have the courage to publicly label thier child as "autistic" because of the stigma. My wife said "Well why wouldn't I? children love Aidan the way he is, only adults look at him like he's mis-behaving, it's adults that do not understand, children....now we can teach them".

Anyways, now my wife is booked for a series of tours around the school district to promote "Autism Awareness" to kids, the district feels as though it could really help mainstream other children like Aidan, if the children they are in class with understand how they operate, and what they need.

I simply cannot explain how wonderful and how strong that wife of mine is, what a battle all this has been for all of us, but mainly her, who is home with it all the time, and is at the school all the time fighting for our kids and all the other kids....I am simply awestruck.

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
Dunno how much I like this being under nature and science but anyway, thought I would share with you my official Aspergers diagnosis.

Autism-Spectrum Quotient (AQ) score
Max =50, and 80% of AS patients score 32 or more
My score - 35

Empathy Quotient (EQ) score
Max=80, and 80% of AS patients score 30 or less
My score - 22

Childhood Asperger Syndrome Test (CAST) score
Max= 31 and 87.5% of patient with an autism spectrum condition score 15 or more
My score - 25

This is for diagnosis symptoms

Social - 3/5
Obsession - 3/5
Communication - 3/4
Imagination - 1/3

I'm sorry but this is really upsetting to me putting this up here, I hate being in some way different, I really do, even though I have for all my nearly 33 years but its good to finally get a diagnosis instead of doctors fobbing me off and saying I've got a drink problem or something. You've been great to me and helped me so much, more than you can ever know with this and I love you all to bits, thank you from the bottom of my heart! :nod::nod::nod:

Zorak

The cake is a metaphor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Ah I never saw this thread because it's tucked away here :)

Badboy, your wife sounds amazing. She's far braver and smarter than most.

Pete, I don't know what to say mate, when did you get it officialy diagnosed?

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
Ah I never saw this thread because it's tucked away here :)

Badboy, your wife sounds amazing. She's far braver and smarter than most.

Pete, I don't know what to say mate, when did you get it officialy diagnosed?

Last month, I've had this all my life but because of misunderstanding and shitty NHS funding I've been fobbed off for all ths time and had to battle for funding just to get a diagnosis. When I got diagnosed they said that I really shouldnt have gone to prison the times i did. It's a relief and a vindication but also hugely fustrating how crap this countries NHS is about this stuff! It was honestly people here like Veronica who has an Autistic child and Heather who works with kids with it who really made a big difference and helped me deal and cope with this, these girls have the heart of an angel!:nod:

Zorak

The cake is a metaphor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Shit. I've always tried to defend the NHS whenever possible, if not mainly to play devils advocate, but stories like yours and the countless other ones I hear or read make it very difficult to do so.
You know we like to say we're an advanced, economically developed nation but sometimes I swear we're stuck in the fucking dark ages.

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
We are when it comes to mental health, sereously, One flew over the cuckoos nest isn't far away from the truth about our mental health treatment today, I've refused to take medication because I've read up on it, they even put me on stuff in prison which has been deemed dangerouse 30 years ago, I nearly died on it, honestly!

Zorak

The cake is a metaphor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Fuck, if somewhere like Zimbabwe did something like that you'd be damn sure we'd slaughter them for it if we found out...

78,864Threads
2,185,187Messages
4,953Members
Back