Would you say Yes?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mrs Behavin

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.55z
The other day at while at work,I heard this song by a band called Flyleaf. The song was called "Cassie," after one of the girls who died in the Columbine shooting. She was wounded, and when she came to, one of the shooters asked her if she believed in God. She said yes, and the guy shot her in the head. Here are they lyrics from that song:

Do you believe in God?
written on the bullet
Say yes to pull the trigger
Do you believe in God?
written on the bullet
And Cassie pulls the trigger

Its really freaking sad if yoiu think about it. Anyway, I wanted to ask all of you; if you were posed with a question like that - where if you told the truth, you would assuredly die - would you say the truth? I for one, don't know. Its one of those things for me where it would have to actually happen for me to know. I hope I would answer truthfully, but I can't say for sure.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

AtlanticBlue99

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
i would lie (i know it is selfish and in this case a big sin) but think about it this way:

what if cassie didnt believe in god and she said no, then the experience could change her view and make her a believer. i know im pretty much set and solid in my political, ethical, moral, and economical views but i belive my future will in some way affect the outcome of more than just myself. i will grow up to have kids, family..... and it goes on, but if i ended it now- well that takes away all of the power i have in the future. whereas i lie, well i make the future better for not only myself, but for people around me and a future family...

lemon

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Re: RE: Would you say Yes?

AtlanticBlue99 said:
i would lie (i know it is selfish and in this case a big sin) but think about it this way:

what if cassie didnt believe in god and she said no, then the experience could change her view and make her a believer. i know im pretty much set and solid in my political, ethical, moral, and economical views but i belive my future will in some way affect the outcome of more than just myself. i will grow up to have kids, family..... and it goes on, but if i ended it now- well that takes away all of the power i have in the future. whereas i lie, well i make the future better for not only myself, but for people around me and a future family...

well, not to be sadistic or whatever, but if you ended it now, you would make one person happy with the car, which would help that person out (by not him/her having to buy their own car, so they can concentrate on other important things like a house)... but anyways...

AtlanticBlue99

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z

dt3 said:
I would truthfully say no.

i love the differences we have on these forums. there could be a huge religious debate as long as it was unemotional. but if it was unemotional, the atheistic would win... not to push buttons with this post. i would actually enjoy a religious and even some political debates. im still young and my mind is somewhat able to be molded but then again, im pretty well educated myself

lemon

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
id actually start it, but i prolly would be "kicked" out (ignored) cuz id prolly start calling people things that would not be the most wise choice... so if one is started, ill offer some points that i see, but thats about it...

slo6banger

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
What a sad story! I've never heard about this girl being shot for believing in God.

Anyways, I'm sure she didn't KNOW that they were going to kill her for saying yes, unless they said to her and she knowingly told them the truth. I don't know what I would do in that situation, because I do believe in a higher being, but I don't know if I believe in a lot of that religious mumbo jumbo.

I think I would probably say no because I'd be so scared, I wouldn't know what to do.

karma279

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I doubt that is literally a true occurrence..... but, interesting question none the less. I personally would say whatever I thought would keep me breathing. I'm closer to an Agnostic Buddhist when it comes to religious affiliation..... so my mind would tell me to say whatever I thought would improve my situation so long as it doesn't negatively affect others.
Good question.............

CareBear3030

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z

karma279 said:
Agnostic Buddhist

Never heard of that one!!! :dunno :dunno :dunno

Really though, Buddhist's God is Budda right???...isnt that the fat guy in the oriental restaurants?? I'm not very familiar with the religion...but that in itself seems weird to me.

lemon

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z

CareBear3030 said:
karma279 said:
Agnostic Buddhist

Never heard of that one!!! :dunno :dunno :dunno

Really though, Buddhist's God is Budda right???...isnt that the fat guy in the oriental restaurants?? I'm not very familiar with the religion...but that in itself seems weird to me.

i dont think they would label it as a "God" per se, prolly more of a guide on the path to enlightenment...

:dunno

horseshoeing

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I would say...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

RUBESH

Reaction score
Tokenz
415.23z
That's an intimidating query to answer and a challenging one to envision. In principle, it's easy to declare what we'd do, but in practice, the scenario may be far more problematic. Finally, it is a personal choice that each individual must decide for themselves. Some people may choose to remain firm in their views and face the consequences, but others may opt to lie in order to preserve their lives. It's not a simple decision to make, and we won't know how we'd behave until we're really put in that circumstance.

Mystic

OTz's Typo Scouser
Reaction score
Tokenz
117.19z
I've had a knife held to me and questions asked... i told them to get fucked. I'm a bit nuts that way. My fear turns off when faced with death i have learned... it hits me later though. My upbringing was to face things dead on and never give in. The you fuck with me, you better do it well because if the tables turn, I'll be sure to finish it, kind of mentality. Crazy? Maybe, but i tend to keep my head during crisis when everyone else is losing their shit because of it.

magnus2022

Reaction score
Tokenz
435.62z
I will lie and live. God knows who believe in him. God knows that am in a difficult situation. Sometimes, we don't need to stupid just to prove a point.

streamguy69

Reaction score
Tokenz
876.08z
Here is the thing. He already had his mind set in what he was gonna do regarding of what her answer was. If not then she would still be alive . Anyone in that mindset does not just pick and choose what they are gonna do. They just do it

Ammi

Reaction score
Tokenz
1,249.83z
@streamguy69 ….that’s the interesting thing as well, the mindset wasn’t fixed because he did ask the question …(…and it feels as though…)…the response, then guided the path taken as the girl wasn’t then killed…the misleading bit that then became this story seems to be that it wasn’t Cassie Barnell who was asked the question…Cassie was sadly killed like many others…apparently, according to reports…another student, Valeen Schnurr was laying in the floor after being shot and she cried…”Oh, my God, oh, my God, don't let me die.”…so Klebold was said to have asked her if she believed in God and she said yes…he then asked her why and her response was…"Because I believe and my parents brought me up that way." …Klebold reloaded his gun but he didn’t shoot Valeen again and she survived…we’ll never know but I personally believe that Valeen changed the course of her own personal outcome that day…that she would have been killed, had the exchange not taken place…which was prompted by her praying to God…

Ammi

Reaction score
Tokenz
1,249.83z
…the dilemma of the question, though…hmmmm, it’s a difficult one because you would surely truly believe that you would be killed and would then face your God in death…you would stand before that God because isn’t that the Christian belief…?..so to deny that God and then face them would surely be something very much feared…maybe as much as the gun in front of you…?….I know the question is ‘deny God and live’…but would you really believe that you would be saved by denying …why would someone who would take your life, be truthful with you …so to me the choice I would believe was being given to me would be…confirm your faith and die or deny your faith and die…

Kurbir

Fraud. Lies. Deceit.
Premium
Reaction score
Tokenz
754.45z
Given that I am an atheist, I would have no issues truthfully answering with a "No.". Though I doubt that my fate would be any different to Cassie's - monsters will take your life no matter your beliefs or the lack thereof.

78,864Threads
2,185,187Messages
4,953Members
Back