Wit and Wisdom

Users who are viewing this thread

Spade

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.35z
I'd like to start a different kind of quote or sayings topic. One containing only content from Literature. Some time ago (Christmas) I was given an overpriced gift that contained less than a half an hour worth of material to look at. It is "Wit and Wisdom of Duck Dynasty". While that is sort of amusing, it gave me the idea for this topic. Share the Wit and Wisdom you find in various passages from the books you read. If you desire you can elaborate on that quote and why you feel that it's relevant.

[Take boots for example. He earned 38 dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while a poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes "Boots" theory of socioeconomic unfairness.]

This amused me when I read it from Terry Pratchett's Men at Arms, page 29. But I can back this up from personal experience of attempting to get a cheap bike for what is about the third of the price as a new bike, some time ago that is. As it turns out, all of the crap I'd have had to do to make it survive more than a month would have bumped up that price to about 2/3 the price of a new bike, and there'd likely still be issues. It was a lesson about quality over frugality. What is cheapest now is not always cheapest or best in the long run.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list
78,864Threads
2,185,192Messages
4,953Members
Back