Why do you think fewer people read books these days?

Users who are viewing this thread

Denis Hard

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
"I believe that people who used to read a lot of books read less now

That's just the thought of one person. But it's happening all over the world. I came across a blog post that tries to examine why the Chinese don't read books anymore. Since it's a proven fact that most teens and young people across the globe hardly have time to read books, could you please share your thoughts on this? Would it be because books were the only way to while away the time in the past when the internet, video games and the dating game, had not taken over the world?

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Kotro

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I think it is quite understandable. In the past the book was the primary source of entertainment and information. Nowdays there are several alternatives in the form of cinema, television, internet, etc. Book usage decreased because it doesn't have that former monopoly anymore. That's not to say that it will become obsolete - it will simply be among one of several ways of delivering the goods, sharing market presence with other new media.

Denis Hard

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
But the more the alternatives, the less they're going to be used and before we know it, print books as we know them will not exist anymore. I pity those who made money primarily as book printers. . .

Aries

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
I love to read and it has to be with the physical book in my hand, preferably a hardcover. But I have to admit that I don't read as much as I used to or want to because I fall asleep while doing so now, even if the book is really interesting. Maybe that's part of getting older?

Nah, screw that...I'm not getting that old yet!
batting_eyelashes.gif

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
I think it is quite understandable. In the past the book was the primary source of entertainment and information.

Agree with this! Today if you need information it's not necessary reading a book, not even if you do it online or get a digital version.

People actually go straight to the information they need without needing to read page and pages of information.

Of course there are novels and other literature genre that don't fit in the information category, but even with this type of reading, is easier find an online summary or review about a book to determine if it's worth buying it and reading it.

Actually people seem to not longer have time fore reading nor anything else.

skyblue

KEEP THE FAITH
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.34z
my only problem with people not reading is that they'll watch a hollywood movie about something thats completely distorted facts,and believe it.....braveheart,U-571 and pearl harbour spring to mind

teh_fuzz

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Tokenz
124.51z
Ease of access, and mobil devices! Anything form your phone to your laptop and even book readers have made books obsolete!
Then again im not a book reader :p so its not like i ever read more than a few books myself

Matthew

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I believe books are becoming a rare breed because of all the technology at our disposal. Unlike several years back, there's so much to keep us busy that books have slid to the back of our minds. It's sad because I really love reading and believe it encourages imagination.

itsmeJonB

Reaction score
Tokenz
209.25z
Books are unnecessary everything worth reading has been turned into a movie anyway. Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Fight Club...
thats about it really. what was the question?

porterjack

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
Books are unnecessary everything worth reading has been turned into a movie anyway. Harry Potter, Jurassic Park, Fight Club...
thats about it really. what was the question?
Hey stranger

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

lizzief79

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.05z
One reason is that there is so much information on the Internet. Another reason I think is that people are more technologically orientated these days and prefer to spend their time playing games or watching the television.

78,864Threads
2,185,192Messages
4,953Members
Back