Why do you play video games?

Users who are viewing this thread

themarksquared

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Good day.

I love video games. The main reason is that it provides an avenue for me to be entertained and to have fun. It gives me a place to vent out all of my tension and to release stress. In addition to that, some video games like Terraria or Portal allow me to use my creativity without exerting much effort. Through these, my brain gets stimulated. This is why I love games.

How about you? Why do you play video games?

Discussion time!

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Chrisuren

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I don't play them too much really, but when I do it's either because I'm bored, downloading something on the PC or I can't sleep.

BelgianRockfan2

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Mostly because I'm bored and I feel better if I'm actually doing something instead of just browsing Reddit. Also because I still have a lot of games sitting in my Steam library that I've never touched, but I feel like I need to play them because otherwise it was a waste of money. I wish I could have as much fun with video games as I used to.

simonli2575

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
There's a lot of video games that I play, and I've several reasons:
1. I just want to cause chaos. Causing violence in real life could put you behind bars, but doing destructions in a video game doesn't. Sometimes when I'm angry about something, I play video games such as Saints Row 4 to relieve my stress.
2. I want to challenge my brain. Puzzle games like Portal 2, Nihilumbra, Gateway, etc. can really give your brain a workout, since they're challenging, but you'll feel like you've accomplished something once you finish it.
3. I just want to waste time.

BaltimoreJay

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
It's escapism pure and simple. Video games are immersive in such a way that they make me forget about what else is going on in my life while I'm playing them. They basically help me shut my brain off and forget about all of the problems that are stressing me out for the hours that I'm playing.

diprod

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
Good day.

I love video games. The main reason is that it provides an avenue for me to be entertained and to have fun. It gives me a place to vent out all of my tension and to release stress. In addition to that, some video games like Terraria or Portal allow me to use my creativity without exerting much effort. Through these, my brain gets stimulated. This is why I love games.

How about you? Why do you play video games?

Discussion time!

I play them when I want to relax and set myself free from the stress of work. Video games are more than just an entertainment for me. It's a good stress reliever as well.

Annetteb

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I like playing video games because it's a good way for me to pass the time and I like the challenges that each game represents. I like to play different kinds of games and I also like how it can be so exciting when you play a difficult game and win.

xlzqwerty1

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
It's a way to escape from reality for a period of time and just calm down and forget about stress and real life problems. I play it for the entertainment, along with friends (i.e. co-op fun, all teh laffs). I don't always play video games though, but it sure does help relax my mind before going back to doing homework.

Sarah676

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Put simply, I play video games because it's fun. They're less passive than just watching TV, and it's a great way to relieve stress at the end of the day. As long as you're not playing games at the expense of other responsibilities you should be fulfilling, I see no harm. Personally I'm a PC gamer all the way because I like to play my games tucked away in my room with headphones on. It's my alone time. :D

SS42A

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I used to play video games frequently, sometimes even going beyond midnight and into the early hours of the morning. Now if I have enough free time on my hands, I will still play, though my time is limited. These days, I just don't have the luxury of playing video games like I used to, since I'm engaged in physical activities. But I agree with Sarah676 that as long as you don't play games at the expense of your responsibilities, then you'll be ok.

Dave

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I play video games when the work is done for the day and I want to relax. I never play it all that seriously, just something to do in my free time. For example I played a few games of Call of Duty today after I finished my homework and im about ready to hit the sack.

Kyama3

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.17z
I play them just for entertainment. I think it's a good way to take your mind off other things, or just to alievate boredom.

Oakster

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
To me it's much fun when compared for example to watching TV, I can get home tired from work and just unwind with some quality games but not get mind-numbed like when people watch TV.

Chaos

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I play video games because it's an escape from real life a place were you are free to be an ancient warrior, an assassin or a crusader. Real life it's not very fascinating and full of dangers and that why many teens and adults find a refuge in an imaginary world, a better world.

BioLee

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Well video games are the way I have to communicate with most my friends since we cannot be together most of the times now, mainly because of college so games bring us together. But I also love the entertainment they provide us with engaging stories and characters, so I would still players if I had friends or not but it's a major factor between MP and SP.

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
It's fun. Simple as that.

On a broader note, it's competitive without having to be physical, and I view videogames as something as important as film, spoken word, visual arts and music. It holds the same value, and games of course have the same impact to make you think about them days, months, and years after you beat them. Playing Journey just recently reminded me why gaming is serious medium that can tell a story just as well as a classic movie.

ebcolan

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
There are a lot of reasons for me why I play video games. The first reason is because I want to escape from reality. I want to be in a world where I am the hero or the main character. I want to be able to fell that I am special through the game. The next reason is for the sense of accomplishment. I don't usually accomplish anything great in real life and usually just screw up, but in the game, I can feel that I did something right. Then lastly. because it's fun. I just want to relax and enjoy the game. It vents out my stress. And it makes me happy :)

SpiderShark

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.07z
Video games are the best way to relax and entertain myself, as they offer an escape from reality, in video games I can be whoever I want to be and have lots of fun. It's also a good way to keep in contact with friends who live in another city.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back