Why did everyone stop playing strategy games and adventure games?

Users who are viewing this thread

Vajk

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
No, seriously. Point and click adventure games such as Monkey Island, Full Throttle and Indiana Jones were extremely popular back in the '90s and they had a huge fanbase. Everybody played those. Why did that change? Also, ten years ago everybody was playing strategy games like Age of Empires, Command and Conquer, Dune and Stronghold. Now the gaming market is spinning mostly around shooters. I really don't know why is this the case. Does anyone know what happened? I miss good adventures and strategies.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Oakster

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
That's not entirely true.
Strategy games never disappeared at all, Starcraft is one of the most played games in the world, definitely the biggest one when it comes to eSports. Civilization has also kept going very strong and if you consider League of Legends and Dota strategy games then it's the biggest genre in the world!
As for adventure games, they did take a dip in the beginning of the decade but they have been coming back, most noticeably with titles like The Walking Dead which was one of the top games of last year.

xlzqwerty1

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
It's not everyone stopped playing strategy games and adventure games. It's that everyone switched over to BETTER Strategy games and Adventure Games. You've heard of RPGs Right? Adventure. You've heard of RTS right? Strategy. People may not play Age of Empires as much today, but it's not a dead game. I know a lot of my friends who would play Age of Empires if we had enough players in one house to play with (LAN party). Nowadays, RTS goes towards MOBAs such as DotA, League of Legends, and the classic Starcraft and Starcraft 2. RPGs are still going strong, so I'm not sure why you would even begin to think that people have stopped playing them. In fact, I would say more people are moving over from FPS/TPS games to RTS and RPG games.

Sness

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Big companies put their efforts in what gives them more money, and right now is FPS because it appeals to large consumer base. We live in a fast paced time, and people (younger above all) are looking for quick action, an easy in-out experience, where you don't have to think too much.

Adventure games maybe aren't the hype of the gaming scene but there is plenty of them and good ones, think The Walking Dead, Deponia serie, Papers, please, The Whispered World, etc. Telltale only makes adventure games and they seem to be fine, so there is still people playing.

If you want to try point-and-click games, try looking around in Desura.

Sarah676

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
As you can see from my avatar, I'm a huge Monkey Island fan. :D That said, I can understand why the popularity of point-and-click adventure games has dwindled as video game graphics have been steadily improving. Like someone above me said, RPGs are basically adventure games with different mechanics.

Annetteb

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
There are still strategy and adventure games around. They may not be as many as there use to, but I don't think that we will see the end of these two types of games. They may change the mechanics of yhese games, but they will still be strategy and adventure games on the inside.

Chaos

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Video games like anything else evolve and change. Now most strategy players battle in Rome Total war and the adventure games are more complex with realistic graphics and complex dynamics. Players get bored easily, and the producers will offer them a variety of games featuring a modern design.

BaltimoreJay

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
People still play RTS games. Civ and Starcraft are two of the most popular games in the world right now.

Adventure games have also made a comeback in recent years. Tell-Tale's Walking Dead game was one of the biggest games of last year. Gone Home is one of the most buzzed about games in recent memory. More people are excited about Jonathon Blow's new game than just about any other game coming to PS4. That genre is huge again.

The move from PCs to consoles for a lot of gamers hurt those genres (they just play better with a mouse and keyboard) but as more and more games are getting released everywhere (PS, X-Box, Steam) they have gotten more and more popular again.

pandandesign

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
It depends on what kind of games I am looking for. I would prefer buying a second hand game because it is cheaper, plus I don't usually play the game again. If I really like the game, I sometimes buy it brand new unless the stores don't sell the game anymore.

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
That is exactly how I feel with the lack of turn-based RPGs being released recently. I guess that is what makes turn-based RPG special in my opinion as not all types of gamers has the determination to understand the mechanics of this genre. All gamers can play FPS games and action RPGs, but not everyone can play and understand turn-based RPGs. The same can be said for real-time strategy games. I mean, after Starcraft 2 and Total War: Rome II, we have yet to see any real-time strategy in the market as if the genre is already obsolete.

mistymi

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Starcraft 2 is probably the most accessible RTS where you can always find people of any skill level to play against. Planetary Annihilation is the only RTS I know of in development and the HD version of Age of Mythology. Sadly the new CnC ended going free to play then got canned. I wish there were more RTS games being made but apparently the genre isn't popular anymore. People still love the old franchises but most RTS sequels seem to get worse.

Last edited by a moderator:

Scottf13

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
The same thing has happened with the SRPG market. I see them on handhelds, but I don't see any on nextgen systems. They used to be all the rage and now people like other things.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back