Which matters most for weight loss?

Users who are viewing this thread

Mrs Behavin

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.55z
I have a question about walking for weight loss. A friend of mine believes the theory of walking distance is what helps you lose weight best versus my theory that it is the speed at which you walk that matters. So, could you help me figure this one out? Which matters most in ultimate weight loss: speed or distance?
I have been so good at going walking every day.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

BreakfastSurreal

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.38z
it is a combination. It's all about calories burned. When I work out on the eliptical machine, I burn about 450 calories...I could burn the same amount walking for 2 hours...

OUZBnd

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
Pretty much was breakfast said, it comes down to cals. Walking faster will yeild results quicker, mean it will burn cals faster. But you could essentially burn the same cals by walking twice as far or more. She needs to work at pace where it gets her heart rate up tho, just loafing around isnt going to help all that much.

Zoner

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Don't forget your diet too. High fiber stuff and tons of water.

My doctor said that she's read studies saying that Aspartame actually makes you hungrier, so don't load up on diet sodas. Pile on the water!

Mrs Behavin

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.55z
Pretty much was breakfast said, it comes down to cals. Walking faster will yeild results quicker, mean it will burn cals faster. But you could essentially burn the same cals by walking twice as far or more. She needs to work at pace where it gets her heart rate up tho, just loafing around isnt going to help all that much.

The tricky part is, I already have problems with fast heartrate and I take Toprol to keep it from racing. Getting it pumping fast after working out shouldnt be a problem, would it? Being that its a different kind of heart racing ordeal.

BreakfastSurreal

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.38z
Amy, I would talk to your doctor. Since you have problems with a high heart rate, you should check with him before you do anything super cardio, especially since you are on medication also...but as a general rule, here are the heartrate guidelines:

The Energy Efficient or Recovery Zone - 60% to 70%

Training within this zone develops basic endurance and aerobic capacity. All easy recovery running should be completed at a maximum of 70%. Another advantage to running in this zone is that while you are happily fat burning you may lose weight and you will be allowing your muscles to re-energise with glycogen, which has been expended during those faster paced work-outs. Check out the Fat burning zone page.
The Aerobic Zone - 70% to 80%

Training in this zone will develop your cardiovascular system. The body's ability to transport oxygen to, and carbon dioxide away from, the working muscles can be developed and improved. As you become fitter and stronger from training in this zone it will be possible to run some of your long weekend runs at up to 75%, so getting the benefits of some fat burning and improved aerobic capacity.
The Anaerobic Zone - 80% to 90%

Training in this zone will develop your lactic acid system. In this zone your individual anaerobic threshold is found - sometimes referred to the point of deflection (POD). During these heart rates the amount of fat being utilised as the main source of energy is greatly reduced and glycogen stored in the muscle is predominantly used. One of the by-products of burning this glycogen is the runners worst enemy, lactic acid. There is a point at which the body can no longer remove the lactic acid from the working muscles quickly enough. This happens at an individual heart rate for us all and is accompanied by a rapid rise in heart rate and a slowing of your running pace. This is your anaerobic threshold or POD. Through the correct training it is possible to delay the POD by being able to increase your ability to deal with the lactic acid for a longer period of time or by pushing the POD higher.
The Red Line Zone 90% to 100%

Training in this zone will only be possible for short periods of time. It effectively trains your fast twitch muscle fibres and helps to develop speed. This zone is reserved for interval running and only the very fit are able to train effectively within this zone.

HottyToddyChick

Toes in the water...
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Resistance training is also very important to losing weight. Muscle helps burn calories because your muscles require more energy to function than fat does to just chill. There's a formula that works for every one because it is based on your personal resting heart rate. I'll see if I can find it. I vaguely remember hearing from one of the ladies that works at my gym that if you go over a certain percent of your max heart rate then you're not in a fat burning zone anymore and you aren't going to help yourself lose weight. Something like that. I'll find the formula and post it later tonight.

Nyck

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
if you run one mile or walk one mile you still burn about 100 calories regardless. the difference is it takes less time to run it than walk it so you can do more, thus burning more calories in the same amount of time.

lets say you walk for 30 minutes and walk 2 miles you burn 200 calories
but if you run for 30 minutes you run 4 miles you burn 400 calories

BreakfastSurreal

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.38z
but if you run for 30 minutes you run 4 miles you burn 400 calories
orrr you could be like me and not keep a steady pace for 30 minutes while running...that's a little difficult for me. I could run probably 3miles in 30, but not 4. That's super fast for me.

Nyck

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
orrr you could be like me and not keep a steady pace for 30 minutes while running...that's a little difficult for me. I could run probably 3miles in 30, but not 4. That's super fast for me.

well I just made simple numbers, I couldnt run that either just an example:D

78,865Threads
2,185,213Messages
4,953Members
Back