What is that one book/poem that you think everyone should read?

Users who are viewing this thread

Vajk

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
In my opinion, everybody should read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley. It portrays a dystopia disguised as a utopia, where no one is displeased or unhappy because they were raised that way. The only 'normal' people (as we percieve normality) are in reservations, just like Native Americans. It's really a must read in my opinion.

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

porterjack

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
poem

dolce et decorum est by Wilfred Owen

book - slaughterhouse five kurt vonnegut or poorhouse fair by john updike

Staz

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Oh gosh, it's so hard to narrow it down to just one. I guess I think everyone should read Catch-22 by Joseph Heller. If it won't prepare you for life in a bureaucratic society, nothing will.

Denis Hard

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
There are books which are not appreciated but if you'd like to try out a book that doesn't attempt to do any fancy stuff with themes and so and so on. . .stuff that makes books boring I'd say the one book you'll read and enjoy because that's why it's written is: [drum roll?] A Gent From Bear Creek - Robert E Howard. It's a crazy book, populated with crazy characters.

pandandesign

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I think everyone should read "If I Stay", which is written by Gayle Forman. It's the most poignant novel I have ever read in my life, which made me cry from the beginning to the end. I like reading books about death, which it makes me to understand what life is about and to live to the fullest.

Kotro

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
There are certainly books I enjoy a lot, but don't really feel like "everyone" should read them. Also, some books which people might recommend as character-building might not do the trick and simply be appreciated as entertainment (as was my case with the abovementioned Brave New World, Slaughterhouse 5 and Catch-22).

I I had to pick one to represent great writing, an entertaining read, and a lesson for the future, I'd probably say Hiroshima, by John Hersey.

KellyValentine

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I think everyone should read "If I Stay", which is written by Gayle Forman. It's the most poignant novel I have ever read in my life, which made me cry from the beginning to the end. I like reading books about death, which it makes me to understand what life is about and to live to the fullest.

This sounds really good. I might have to check it out.

78,866Threads
2,185,215Messages
4,953Members
Back