TSA Cracks Down on Uncharged Electronic Devices

Users who are viewing this thread

!

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.19z
cell-phone-battery-life.jpg

"The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) has implemented tighter security measures for overseas passengers carrying electronic devices onto U.S. bound flights. Passengers who attempt to bring cell phones and other electronic devices onto aircraft will be asked to power on those devices, and powerless devices will not be permitted onto planes. The announcement prompted concerns that airports would see problems as passengers scrambled to charge electronic devices before boarding."

Thoughts??

link: article

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

porterjack

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
chaos at screening check-ins

any idea what threat a dead phone is versus a 50% charged phone?

!

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.19z
chaos at screening check-ins

any idea what threat a dead phone is versus a 50% charged phone?

From what I understand this is part of their screening process for possible harmful devices disguised as cell phones, the though is that if it was a harmful device it wouldn't actually work and may just be using the cell phone as a shell. However I think we are all under the impression that if someone is going to go to those lengths they could probably figure out how to make the display continue to work or some sort of simulation screen.

porterjack

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
I am sure a dedicated terrorist will easily work out how to have a device rigged and working

darkcgi

Glorified Maniac
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.28z
That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.
I wonder who is paying the idiot who came up with that idea.
seriously if you want to make a cell phone hold a bomb or parts it wouldn't be hard to make it work as a cell at the same time
and how in the world are you gonna tell people that they cannot bring uncharged items on a plane really

Jordan

I'm useless. I know.
Administrator
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,060.46z
Come again? :banghead:
Like it was stated above. They can just bypass this to make the screen work. What are x-rays used for then anyways? To make the airport look pretty? I'm pretty sure if a bomb "hidden" to look like a cellphone would be able to be detected in the xray

porterjack

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
I am more nervous about the security experts than the terrorists that they seek to control

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
Not fool proof..just makes it more difficult to make a bomb that looks like a phone.
IMO the more practical approach is to ban people from these select countries from taking a plane to the states anyway.

Govt officials only from these nations..then if a terrorist attempt is made..call it war.

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
I wonder when the discrimination card will be play here...remember its only in certain areas that have flights to the states.
So it is screening by race ethnic group or what have you..in this case by nation...also those nations are the ones doing the screening..but only by our request...I suspect that any terrorist ridden nation airports personnel will have the attitude of "fuck them Americans" and not enforce it anyway.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back