Users who are viewing this thread

Tattva

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Brit pop is a stupid myth

Naaaaaaaah :D

It was an Era! Widely accepted by those who were part of it

I remember Jarvis Cocker on Radio 6 saying that that wave of british music needed nationalism in its 'tag' as in incentive to ween people off american grunge that was dominating all alternative listening

The classing of Brit Pop beaing the next big thing by the media was what some of the decent bands of that era needed to gain momentum, Without that phrase, popularity wouldn't have been achieved for great bands in there own right like Suede, Kula Shaker, Supergrass and arguably Blur who were seen as Shoegazers before then and were kinda unpopular.

Pulp may have been able to make it under Jarvis' lyrical ability but it would have been harder for them too

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

BadBoy@TheWheel

DT3's Twinkie
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
In America, we tend to use a lot of words to say the same thing.

We have sub-genre's like explained by SRC and all of them essentially mean the same thing because they are describing the same thing....

Punk ROCK
Classic ROCK
Guitar ROCK
Grunge
Death Metal
Acid ROCK
Pop
Hard ROCK
ROCK and Roll
Alternative ROCK (formerly Grunge...lol)

I mean, basically if it's not R&B, Jazz, Classical, Standards or freaking Opera.....It's Rock, let's face it.

I personally do not care what the radio say's Oasis or Metallica is Genre wise, in my book.....If there is no other name for it...It's rock:rockon:

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
I
I personally do not care what the radio say's Oasis or Metallica is Genre wise, in my book.....If there is no other name for it...It's rock:rockon:

Exactly, it's rock. I lived through and went to gigs in the so called Brit pop era and it wasn't Brit pop, it was Indie which was a non main stream version of rock and roll, i.e. it was rock!:rockon:

Ria

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Ya know what? if I like it I listen to it, doesn't matter to me at all, what 'section' they are 'supposed' to be in. Music's music to me and I like a varied amount of music too, so it's no big deal for me. I just love to have music. :) ;)

SRC

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
We have sub-genre's like explained by SRC and all of them essentially mean the same thing because they are describing the same thing....

they mean the same thing in a generic form, but the sub-genres ar ekinda like color names .. you have your basic primary colors ... and colors under them.

Pink is in the red family but when you tell someone what color sweater to buy you .. you want a pink sweater .. not a light red sweater ;).

While they are all usually in the same basic genre .. the sub-genres are usually completely different types of musical sounds.

BadBoy@TheWheel

DT3's Twinkie
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
they mean the same thing in a generic form, but the sub-genres ar ekinda like color names .. you have your basic primary colors ... and colors under them.

Pink is in the red family but when you tell someone what color sweater to buy you .. you want a pink sweater .. not a light red sweater ;).

While they are all usually in the same basic genre .. the sub-genres are usually completely different types of musical sounds.

:eek Ummmmmkay....Now you are the Uber Nerd...

Hey I need an administrative assistant..Ya busy:24:

78,866Threads
2,185,215Messages
4,953Members
Back