this rock thing

Users who are viewing this thread

skyblue

KEEP THE FAITH
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.34z
is it just me or does anyone else seem to think pigeon holing bands under names is stupid?

metalicca = heavy
nirvana = grunge
oasis = brit pop

etc etc etc

at the end of the day its rock music

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

juggler

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
But the bands themselves do it! Kurt Cobain once complained that he was sick of metal fans turning up at their gigs!!!

juggler

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I know, that's what confused us all! If the bands themselves aren't sure where they fit in, how are we supposed to???

Tattva

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
But Oasis is Brit Pop, it may come under rock but its easy to separate the different types by singling it out
Calling Oasis and Slayer both rock would suggest that there similar which they aren't

Tattva

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Fine fine, bad comparison, but there's still many more. The Clash, My Chemical Romance, System Of A Down, Animal Collective, Lightning Bolt, Led Zeppelin

all generally labeled rock but all have completely different sound, i think all the different tags are fine

juggler

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
The tags all tend to give us an idea as to the style of music involved, so as such are a good thing. The only time it's a bad thing is when it's used as a means of exclusion of people from various parts of society!!
BTW, do you realise that all the bands you named get a different tag??

Pudding Time

Banned
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Oasis are definately a rock band. Yes they are also a pop band. Being one doesn't mean you can be the other.

Also, Oasis make great music. Don't judge their music by how big of a knob Liam is.

Peter Parka

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
I fucking hate the term Brit Pop! It's not Brit pop, its rock and roll!:rockon: Brit pop is a stupid myth made up by the Sun!:fing27

SRC

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
If you don't have sub-genres to lable a type of music .. people who never listen to the style of music you listen to .. will never have a clue wtf you're talking about otherwise.

There are different genre's and different sub-genres .. so that people don't spend hours sorting through cd's they'd otherwise never pick up. lol

78,866Threads
2,185,215Messages
4,953Members
Back