The 2012 Reading Challenge Discussion Thread

Users who are viewing this thread

HK

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.03z
Yep, this is happening!

The idea is simple - if you want to join, post below and I'll add your name to the OP. The challenge is to read at least one book a week, every week, for all of 2012. This thread can also be used to keep track of what you've read, similar to the exercise threads.

So, 52 books in 52 weeks - can you do it? :p

Challenge Accepted:

HK
Anathelia
Kyle B
Abcinithia
Zorak
Dancingpotato
Retro
Aeval
JuggsBunny
Zirconaz

Last edited by a moderator:
    Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Kyle B

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Re: The 2012 Reading Challenge

I think one book a week may be a bit *too* ambitious, but I'll try.

An idea: we could suggest books or pick a book to read at the same time once in a while. It may make things more interesting.

retro

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
I'll give it a whirl. My problem is that most of my books are 500-600 pages each and I don't have enough time in the day to blow through them in a week. :24: but hey, no guts no glory.

anathelia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z

I'll give it a whirl. My problem is that most of my books are 500-600 pages each and I don't have enough time in the day to blow through them in a week. :24: but hey, no guts no glory.

Perhaps if you spent your evenings reading instead of rotting your brain playing video games, you'd have the time to read them. :p You claim you can't sleep at night, I can get 2-3 hours of reading done in bed alone before I fall asleep. Just a thought.

Also, I think the challenge might be more in being able to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Not that you have to physically read an entire book every week. Some people can do it, others cannot.

Panacea

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z

I'm staring at 3,000+ pages of various diagnostic manuals for my DSM class this winter, so I will have to watch from afar :24:
Good luck all! :D

retro

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z

Perhaps if you spent your evenings reading instead of rotting your brain playing video games, you'd have the time to read them. :p You claim you can't sleep at night, I can get 2-3 hours of reading done in bed alone before I fall asleep. Just a thought.

Also, I think the challenge might be more in being able to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Not that you have to physically read an entire book every week. Some people can do it, others cannot.

SHHHHHH! :p I should probably take reading back up again when I can't sleep though, haven't done that for a while. Probably because I didn't have anything on my Kindle to read and I hate holding actual books in bed. :24:

freakofnature

Vampire
Reaction score
Tokenz
3,004.27z

Does re-reading books count?

Say I decide to read a book in January and then decide to re-read it in May. Is that valid? (I love to re-read books. I've read the entire Harry Potter series at least 4 times since summer. :ninja)

Darrell

Banned per User's Request
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z

I can probably do two books a month, maybe three, but one a week is too much. Especially if I want to start Grad School in the fall. :p

anathelia

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z

SHHHHHH! :p I should probably take reading back up again when I can't sleep though, haven't done that for a while. Probably because I didn't have anything on my Kindle to read and I hate holding actual books in bed. :24:

Sounds like a load of excuses to me. :p

Zorak

The cake is a metaphor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z

I'll do it since reading is for dorks and I have an assignment on dorks due. :D

Also, it's not a book a week, it's 52 books in 52 weeks, an important distinction ;)

Codrus

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z

Zorak makes a valid point... is someone going to put stipulations on the "books" read?

HK

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.03z

Yay! Other people :D

Okay to define this a little further - as Zorak points out, it just says 52 books in a year. Technically that's one a week but I thought I'd leave how it's actually carried out down to the individual. You could do it as one a week if you like, and record it like so:

Week one - Harry Potter
Week two - Great Expectations
Week three - Twilight

And so on, or just drop the weeks part and record the number of books, like so:

One - Harry Potter
Two - Great Expectations
Three - Twilight

I'll probably just record the number of books for myself - I have some huge books that'll take me more than a week, but some thin ones that'll take a couple of days, so I don't expect to stick to an exact week per book :p

Zirc - I'll go with read what you like :) a year is a long time, ideally everyone will read 52 different books but if you get to September and desperately want to reread something you already did in January then I don't see why not :) this is only for fun after all, it's more of a personal achievement than a strictly structured challenge :p

Also, I'm going to change the title (or rather, beg an admin) to 'discussion thread' and then I'll start a new thread for the posts recording your books on the 1st :)

If anyone's got anything to suggest, go ahead!

Kyle B

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z

Perhaps there should be a small stipulation, such as a minimum page count for each book.

78,866Threads
2,185,215Messages
4,953Members
Back