Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Johnfromokc

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
This judges asshattery even made news in the UK:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-Works-jobs-support-family.html#ixzz1w51Ki0Uh

Honour student who works two jobs to support her siblings after her parents split up and left town is put in JAIL for missing school due to exhaustion

• Diane Tran, 17, thrown in jail for one night because of repeated absences from school

• Honours student has been working two jobs to keep family afloat since parents' divorce

• Has been taking advanced placement and college courses in addition to jobs and missed school due to exhaustion

• [*]Spent the night in jail for truancy

AnitaBeer

I kissed a leprechaun...
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
The judge is correct in not allowing exceptions to the rule, but it really does suck that this girl has to work so hard to support her siblings.
I really feel for her because she's doing what's right in her heart and it sucks when we get disciplined for doing that.

Johnfromokc

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
The judge is correct in not allowing exceptions to the rule, but it really does suck that this girl has to work so hard to support her siblings.
I really feel for her because she's doing what's right in her heart and it sucks when we get disciplined for doing that.

Does it make sense to give this girl a criminal record that could prevent her from getting a college scholarship or even getting into college?

No - this judge is a fucking moron enforcing yet another moronic law. Judges have the discretion to avoid having to make idiotic decisions like this judge made. In the video, he stated that HE did not want to be viewed as "soft". He only cared about his own reputation, common sense be damned. What a fucktard.

Kyle B

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Honestly, she's a high school student and shouldn't be working two jobs anyway. If you're missing school because of work it's time to lay back on the work or leave school. You can't really do both.

Nonetheless, I still agree it sucks. At least this judge is enforcing truancy laws though. Lots of kids just don't give two shits about school, miss half the year, and are still allowed to pass.

Johnfromokc

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Honestly, she's a high school student and shouldn't be working two jobs anyway. If you're missing school because of work it's time to lay back on the work or leave school. You can't really do both.

Seriously? Did you watch the video or read the article and understand this girls situation?

Kyle B

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Yea, I did. I fail to see how she needs to support her two siblings. One of them is at college, and the other one lives with relatives. Uh... are the relatives not supporting the sibling who lives with them? If the situation is bad, the brother at Texas A & M can get a job, or temporarily leave college. How in the world is she expected to support an older brother at college?

If she can't work a full-time job and go to school at the same time she needs to choose one or the other.

Part of this is the Dailyfail creating sensationalist news so its readers can see how awful things are in the US.

If the judge would have let her go off leniently, it would have reenforced the notion that work is a valid excuse to miss school, which a lot of people have.

Johnfromokc

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Yea, I did. I fail to see how she needs to support her two siblings. One of them is at college, and the other one lives with relatives. Uh... are the relatives not supporting the sibling who lives with them? If the situation is bad, the brother at Texas A & M can get a job, or temporarily leave college. How in the world is she expected to support an older brother at college?

If she can't work a full-time job and go to school at the same time she needs to choose one or the other.

Part of this is the Dailyfail creating sensationalist news so its readers can see how awful things are in the US.

If the judge would have let her go off leniently, it would have reenforced the notion that work is a valid excuse to miss school, which a lot of people have.

So following your logic, the best decision this judge could have made is screwing up this girls life by saddling her with a criminal record?

There was also an American news video as well with an interview with the judge. The judge admitted he was harsh because he didn't want to be viewed as "soft". He cared more about his own reputation than he did about justice.

I'm amazed that anyone would support this judge. Who paid for your college tuition and living expenses Kyle? Do you think you could have supported yourself through high school and maintained honors level grades in advanced placement classes? It's real easy to sit in the comfort of your parents home and look down on this girl.

Hell, I admire her for her work ethic. I read comments like yours and wonder WTF has happened to common sense in the United States. This is the country that fights against universal health care and other social benefits that they call "handouts" and says everybody should support themselves. So this girl supports herself and gets punished and these same Americans support this asshat judge for punishing her for her work ethic?

Unfuckingbelieveable.

MoonOwl

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
More proof our great Country has lost its way.

Where is the sticking to the letter of the law when it comes to Wall Street or Congress?

I feel a rant coming on for this Memorial weekend... But it does no good and I have a kitchen floor to mop.

*beam me up Scotty!*

Darrell

Banned per User's Request
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
That's an unfortunate position for the young girl to be in. She has undertaken quite a burden by supporting her two siblings.

However, we can't expect the judicial system to selectively enforce rules and standards, if they make an exception here, what do they make an exception on NEXT time?

If he had to punish her, he should have just given her probation.

There is no reason to incarcerate her, their are violent felons let loose every day, surely the jail could use her seat to keep one of the real criminals a little longer.

Johnfromokc

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
However, we can't expect the judicial system to selectively enforce rules and standards, if they make an exception here, what do they make an exception on NEXT time?

We can't expect common sense from our judicial system? Probation still saddles her with a criminal record. This judge was 100% wrong and self centered in his decision.

Kyle B

V.I.P User
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
So following your logic, the best decision this judge could have made is screwing up this girls life by saddling her with a criminal record?

There was also an American news video as well with an interview with the judge. The judge admitted he was harsh because he didn't want to be viewed as "soft". He cared more about his own reputation than he did about justice.

I'm amazed that anyone would support this judge. Who paid for your college tuition and living expenses Kyle? Do you think you could have supported yourself through high school and maintained honors level grades in advanced placement classes? It's real easy to sit in the comfort of your parents home and look down on this girl.

Hell, I admire her for her work ethic. I read comments like yours and wonder WTF has happened to common sense in the United States. This is the country that fights against universal health care and other social benefits that they call "handouts" and says everybody should support themselves. So this girl supports herself and gets punished and these same Americans support this asshat judge for punishing her for her work ethic?

Unfuckingbelieveable.

Before this gets into a debate about Wall Street etc. I'm not saying that I believe that corporations should get off no problem while everyone else suffers.

And your right, it is easy for me to make judgement when I have it easy. But hey, don't we all judgements on situations different than our own?

This might effect her chances to college, but there's also a big chance it won't. She didn't commit a felony and the college apps I filled out never asked about misdemeanors.

Darrell

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
We can't expect common sense from our judicial system? Probation still saddles her with a criminal record. This judge was 100% wrong and self centered in his decision.

You have to argue ANY time I respond to your posts huh John? I could agree with you, and you would still argue my point. :rolleyes:

I don't see how he was self centered, I entirely doubt he had anything to gain from his decision.

Whatever though, you can keep on trucking through this world blaming the government or government officials for EVERYTHING, don't forget your tinfoil hat, though.

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
As much as it pains me I have to agree with John on this.
Selective prosecution happens all the time due to the circumstances.
In this case this is not a problem girl at all...but one that is rather quite motivated and trying to get somewhere in life.
The Judge is a dick...all involved that got her prosecuted are dicks.
Fuck Texas

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
You have to argue ANY time I respond to your posts huh John? I could agree with you, and you would still argue my point. :rolleyes:

I don't see how he was self centered, I entirely doubt he had anything to gain from his decision.

Whatever though, you can keep on trucking through this world blaming the government or government officials for EVERYTHING, don't forget your tinfoil hat, though.

Have you been called a conserva-bigot yet?

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
From an article

Tran said she is working so hard because she is helping to support an older brother who attends Texas A&M University and a baby sister who lives with relatives in Houston. Tran said her parents divorced “out of the blue” and both moved away, leaving her in Willis. Her mother lives in Georgia, she said.

“I always thought our family was happy,” the teen said tearfully.

Tran lives with the family of one of her employers
. They own a wedding venue. She works at the Vineyard of Waverly Manor on weekends and at a dry cleaners full time.

“She goes from job to job, from school she stays up ‘til 7 o’clock in the morning,” said her friend, co-worker and classmate Devin Hill.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/Honor-Student-Jailed-for-Absences-153847275.html

IMO if Texas wanted to do something they should have prosecuted the parent{s} ..but no they punish this girl instead.

Big Bad Texas....:clap

Darrell

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
IMO if Texas wanted to do something they should have prosecuted the parent{s} ..but no they punish this girl instead.

In CA her parents would get the book thrown at them. You don't just divorce, and abandon your children.

Pieces of shit.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back