Ten Commandments

Users who are viewing this thread

dt3

Back By Unpopular Demand
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.21z
Ok, hopefully everyone won't agree like the last thread I started here. The Supreme Court voted today that putting the Ten Commandments in courthouses and stuff is unconstitutional cuz it violates the seperation of church and state. I agree with them (which is odd cuz I'm pretty conservative) because posting the Ten Commandments is telling you which God to believe in. Other things like saying God in the Pledge or In God We Trust on our money is fine with me because it lets you interpret it as whatever God you want. Personally, I have no religious preference and don't know if there is a God, so I don't know if my opinion even counts!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/27/scotus.commandments.ap/index.html

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
  • Participants list

AtlanticBlue99

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.06z
i agree :D

b/c the 10 commandments are only affiliated with christianity and like you said, th pledge doesnt specify a particular god- hell- you could be your own god and trust yourself...

CareBear3030

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
First it was a split decision. They did not say no to displaying them anywhere around a courthouse, or in other public land….just no to IN the courthouse. In my opinion that’s a perfect place for them. Don’t do these things and you will not end up in here….right???

Regardless of “who’s” God spoke the 10 commandments….aren’t they pretty good rules to live by. Please tell me one that you would break openly as “your” God watched!

Blackwater_GT

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Only one God spoke those words to Moses. The one and only God.
I think they (the Ten commandments) Should be displayed in Schools, In court rooms, every public bldg and then some. Prayers should be allowed in School. Prayers meetings bible study should be allowed there also. Plus in the work place. But I also belive that if we allow all of this then we should allow equal access for the other spiritual beliefs. Including Satan worship. I firmly believe that if everyone was allowed to freely pick and choose in schools with out pressure or biased then we would all be more tolerant of others and there different beliefs. We would all have more exposure to different culturals and gain more knowledge and insight on the way people act and the way they would treat each other. Society would be an open book in my opinion and we wouldn't be suspious of other groups beliefs because we would see it being practiced out in the open and we would know what to expect. We would also be able to see the values of all of this spiritualness.

On a footnote: I personally dont see any good in worshiping Satan. Most people would see the evil of this. The truth will always come out eventually.

HOTRODSnBOOZE

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
Re: RE: Ten Commandments

CareBear3030 said:
Please tell me one that you would break openly as “your” God watched!
*shirt half unbuttoned with hairy chest and gold chains* Thou shall not steal babeh. Because the first time I stole a look at you, you stole my heart.
bcf8c37294c95dc4fa59767ba246465e.gif

dt3

Back By Unpopular Demand
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.21z
I've already stated that as far as I know, i have no God. Not that I don't believe it's impossible, but I'm not the type of person to take things based on faith. I agree, the 10 Commandments are great guidelines for a good life, but the Quran has an equivalent. Mahayana Buddhism has the ten good commandments. Hinayana Buddhism has 5 commandments. Hindus have 10 Rules of the ethical and moral plan. Why don't they put any of those on the wall? I don't like the singling out of one particular God when our country was founded on the basis of religious freedom. It's the Christian majority saying my god is better than yours, and I think that's unconstitutional.

Blackwater_GT

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z

dt3 said:
I've already stated that as far as I know, i have no God. Not that I don't believe it's impossible, but I'm not the type of person to take things based on faith. I agree, the 10 Commandments are great guidelines for a good life, but the Quran has an equivalent. Mahayana Buddhism has the ten good commandments. Hinayana Buddhism has 5 commandments. Hindus have 10 Rules of the ethical and moral plan. Why don't they put any of those on the wall? I don't like the singling out of one particular God when our country was founded on the basis of religious freedom. It's the Christian majority saying my god is better than yours, and I think that's unconstitutional.

Did you read my post? I said all spiritualitys ie: religons should be open and available in public schools. All of the commandments guidleines what ahve you should be viewable in Govt. bldgs. That way you can see just how simiar they all are to each other. Granted it would be one big ass wall, but I say it's needed.

dt3

Back By Unpopular Demand
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.21z

Blackwater_GT said:
dt3 said:

Did you read my post? I said all spiritualitys ie: religons should be open and available in public schools. All of the commandments guidleines what ahve you should be viewable in Govt. bldgs. That way you can see just how simiar they all are to each other. Granted it would be one big ass wall, but I say it's needed.

My computer is fucked up, i posted that 10 minutes after her and it never updated for whatever reason. I agree with most of what you said, sorry for the confusion.

dt3

Back By Unpopular Demand
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.21z
I agree with Blackwater that prayer should be allowed in school, but it would be pretty ridiculous if they said only Christian prayers are allowed, which is what JUST posting the 10 Commandments is doing.

CareBear3030

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z

dt3 said:
I agree with Blackwater that prayer should be allowed in school, but it would be pretty ridiculous if they said only Christian prayers are allowed, which is what JUST posting the 10 Commandments is doing.

The problem is that it is the opposite of that. They teach about pretty much every religion EXCEPT Christianity in school. My kids come home all the time learning about different cultures and therefore learn, if briefly, about their religion. But, if anyone were to study a Christian time, no one ever mentions God or Jesus.

I thought we were free to express ourselves. It’s ok for me to express myself if I am atheist or Buddhist….but I cannot mention the word Jesus EVER! Here in Cincinnati we have “Fountain Square” in which Klu Klux Klan members can proudly display their cross, Jewish can display their Star of David, but Christians cannot display anything about Jesus.

The fact that I cannot pray in school is unconstitutional in itself!!!

dt3

Back By Unpopular Demand
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.21z

CareBear3030 said:
dt3 said:

The problem is that it is the opposite of that. They teach about pretty much every religion EXCEPT Christianity in school. My kids come home all the time learning about different cultures and therefore learn, if briefly, about their religion. But, if anyone were to study a Christian time, no one ever mentions God or Jesus.

I thought we were free to express ourselves. It’s ok for me to express myself if I am atheist or Buddhist….but I cannot mention the word Jesus EVER! Here in Cincinnati we have “Fountain Square” in which Klu Klux Klan members can proudly display their cross, Jewish can display their Star of David, but Christians cannot display anything about Jesus.

If we really seperate church and state, then no religion should be taught in a government-run public school. I don't believe that though, because I think if we truly want kids to understand other cultures then they need to know what they believe and why. However, Christianity is our culture, so I don't think it needs a big influence in the school system. You can take your kids to a Christian church if you so choose. However, you probably can't take them to the nearest Buddhist Temple or Islamic Mosque, which is why these religions are taught in school. How else will kids learn about other religions? We don't need to teach them our own culture, they experience it every day. You should be glad your kids are being given a broader outlook on the world, instead of only focusing on ourselves. I do think the Fountain Square issue is wrong, if that's the way it is, because every religion should be afforded the same opportunity to voice itself.

lemon

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z

CareBear3030 said:

that isnt a fact... you can pray in your school, just not out loud, because it may interfere (go against) someone else's religous ideals, and therefore create conflict, and conflict is not what they want in a school setting

CareBear3030

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z

dt3 said:
If we really seperate church and state, then no religion should be taught in a government-run public school. I don't believe that though, because I think if we truly want kids to understand other cultures then they need to know what they believe and why. However, Christianity is our culture, so I don't think it needs a big influence in the school system. You can take your kids to a Christian church if you so choose. However, you probably can't take them to the nearest Buddhist Temple or Islamic Mosque, which is why these religions are taught in school. How else will kids learn about other religions? We don't need to teach them our own culture, they experience it every day. You should be glad your kids are being given a broader outlook on the world, instead of only focusing on ourselves. I do think the Fountain Square issue is wrong, if that's the way it is, because every religion should be afforded the same opportunity to voice itself.

Christianity is very much a part of History and culture. Many many history buffs....non-Christian history buffs read the Bible for just that...the History!!!

Which saying they shouldnt have to teach Christianity because it is part of our culture and we should go to church....is the same as saying we shouldnt have to teach English!!!

dt3

Back By Unpopular Demand
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.21z

CareBear3030 said:
Christianity is very much a part of History and culture. Many many history buffs....non-Christian history buffs read the Bible for just that...the History!!!

Which saying they shouldnt have to teach Christianity because it is part of our culture and we should go to church....is the same as saying we shouldnt have to teach English!!!

Teaching that Christianity has helped shaped history is one thing, saying that it is the one true religion (like ONLY displaying the Ten Commandments) violates the constitutional seperation of church and state. There's a difference between saying Christians follow Jesus because they think he's the Messiah and saying Jesus is the Son of God. It sounds like you want them to teach the second one, and I think that goes against everything our country was founded on.

CareBear3030

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z

dt3 said:
CareBear3030 said:

Teaching that Christianity has helped shaped history is one thing, saying that it is the one true religion (like ONLY displaying the Ten Commandments) violates the constitutional seperation of church and state. There's a difference between saying Christians follow Jesus because they think he's the Messiah and saying Jesus is the Son of God. It sounds like you want them to teach the second one, and I think that goes against everything our country was founded on.

My main point was that my kids are learning about Budda, and other "cultures", but never a mention of Jesus. They dont say ANYTHING about Jesus...or God...or anything in the Bible. But they say plenty about other things.

I never said they should ONLY display the 10 commandments....as a matter of fact I said they display everything BUT....read again!

Blackwater_GT

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z

dt3 said:
CareBear3030 said:
dt3 said:

Jesus has been expelld from School. And His Dad has been kicked off the school PTA. I think Mohammod should be expelld also for the same reasons that Jesus was. And the Hindu kid, he was talking about Nirvana and said the only way to Heaven is thru meditation and chanting. That sounds to me like a religous cult. Expell him too. Buddah is fat and lazy and has skinny bald headed kids wipe his ass. That is a terrible influence on our children. Expell Buddah.

RUBESH

Reaction score
Tokenz
415.23z
It is critical to preserve the separation of religion and state, which is a basic pillar of the US Constitution. This idea is supported by the Supreme Court's decision to strike down the posting of the Ten Commandments in courthouses and other public venues.

78,865Threads
2,185,212Messages
4,953Members
Back