• Participants list

Jordan

I'm useless. I know.
Administrator
Reaction score
Tokenz
990.96z
Hi @The Man

We don't have Tapatalk. There was actually an announcement about that back in 2014 (You were the first to reply ;) ):

The gist of it:
1) The first, and should be only reason - Tapatalk has had way to many security issues over the years. Like, major ones, without even informing their userbase when they knew about it. Plus, they are super invasive.

2) Tapatalk inserts their own ads into our sites, and generates revenue off of our communities work and data. If you want to remove ads, you pay them, not us to get them removed. Effectively supporting Tapatalk, and not the community your actually participating in. People get led to believe VIP features would apply to them even though they wouldn't. We have our own Premium option that would be conflicting, and confusing. Right now we also don't even have ads on the site anyways. (yet)

3) Data - They have made it incredibly harder to actually update forums, and move away from them these days. If I were to install tapatalk now, most of the members who join the forum using tapatalk, wouldn't move with the forum if we needed to go another route. They use a Tapatalk account. Therefore, isolating our members, and loosing data. All images you uploaded to the site via tapatalk is actually uploaded to tapatalk and not the site. Right now one of the things I'm actually fixing and focusing on is to ensure images people use on the forums are preserved and no longer deleted if they hosted an image on an external website (Such as photobucket, flicker, etc) More on that to come in an announcement.

4) Tapatalk is just bad. You should think about getting rid of it :p

However, we are updating our site soon to have PWA support!
PWA = Progressive Web App.
Basically, you will be able to use our site like an actual app of it's own. Eventually, I would like to get our own custom app made as well.

Last edited:

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
Hi @The Man

We don't have Tapatalk. There was actually an announcement about that back in 2014 (You were the first to reply ;) ):

The gist of it:
1) The first, and should be only reason - Tapatalk has had way to many security issues over the years. Like, major ones, without even informing their userbase when they knew about it. Plus, they are super invasive.

2) Tapatalk inserts their own ads into our sites, and generates revenue off of our communities work and data. If you want to remove ads, you pay them, not us to get them removed. Effectively supporting Tapatalk, and not the community your actually participating in. People get led to believe VIP features would apply to them even though they wouldn't. We have our own Premium option that would be conflicting, and confusing. Right now we also don't even have ads on the site anyways. (yet)

3) Data - They have made it incredibly harder to actually update forums, and move away from them these days. If I were to install tapatalk now, most of the members who join the forum using tapatalk, wouldn't move with the forum if we needed to go another route. They use a Tapatalk account. Therefore, isolating our members, and loosing data. All images you uploaded to the site via tapatalk is actually uploaded to tapatalk and not the site. Right now one of the things I'm actually fixing and focusing on is to ensure images people use on the forums are preserved and no longer deleted if they hosted an image on an external website (Such as photobucket, flicker, etc) More on that to come in an announcement.

4) Tapatalk is just bad. You should think about getting rid of it :p

However, we are updating our site soon to have PWA support!
PWA = Progressive Web App.
Basically, you will be able to use our site like an actual app of it's own. Eventually, I would like to get our own custom app made as well.
Thank you very much for the informative response...I have learned a lot from it.

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
The site gives a pretty decent experience with a smartphone.. Tapatalk really isn't needed here.

78,864Threads
2,185,185Messages
4,953Members
Back