Recent Forum Changes

Users who are viewing this thread

Jordan

I'm useless. I know.
Administrator
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,029.42z
So, a lot of you have now realized that I am the new owner of Off Topicz. If you are just coming back to the forum and had no idea about this, then please go ahead and visit my introduction thread over at:
http://www.offtopicz.net/threads/the-name-is-jordan.77462/

So with that said, I would like to introduce to you some of the changes that have been happening around here since I took over.

First as said in the features and suggestions thread:
http://www.offtopicz.net/threads/features-suggestions.77475/
Once again, we have a new design and logo for the site. I think I would just introduce this again for those users who are coming back to the site. However, you are always welcome to switch back to the default theme if you are not a fan of the new one.

Recent Changes:
News Centre:
As you can see, we have a dedicated news section for when I want to announce new changes and features for the forum. I was actually surprised to see this was not already here. After taking a look at the web archive, the forum use to have one but it would seem after the software change that announcements section was gone. I find it is much easier to announce new features and ideas in one specific place rather then all in separate threads around the board.
This node/section will now be the home to announce news and features released to the forum.

Multi-Quote Enabled:
As it was suggested in our requests section, I have updated the forum software and enabled the multi-quote feature. You can see the post about it here:
http://www.offtopicz.net/threads/multi-quote.77351/page-2#post-2154742

Enhanced Likes/Ratings:
It was suggested that people should be able to comment on the likes they give. Something that was in the previous forum software. I had to regretfully inform the user that XenForo does not have siuch feature, however I did go ahead and install a better system that may replace the "comments" with a detailed "like". That post can be read here:
http://www.offtopicz.net/threads/comments-on-likes.77393/#post-2154741

Enhanced Arcade System:
The previous arcade that was installed on the site had nothing to do with the core, and was not even integrated. Users had to make new accounts and things where a bit messy. The new arcade you are able to play right from your OTz account, and challenge other players to beat your high scores.
You can visit the arcade at http://www.offtopicz.net/arcade/ I would like to remind you that there currently is not a lot of games in the arcade at the moment. However, I do plan on adding more games every day.

General Improvements:
The XenForo Software has been upgraded along with several addons installed to help the user experience be an easier and slightly better one. Without getting to much into detail, general improvements includes; small bug fixes, sidebar additions such as recent threads, and user statuses. Rich usernames everywhere, two column member cards, permission updates to user groups, small forum tweaks, and miscellaneous advancements.

Premium Usergroups and Valued Contributors:
I realize that when Veronica owned the forum, there was a premium user group that people had to earn. This is slightly being changed a bit. Since I was not here or around when this was set up, I am not aware of how she worked it. However, we now have two user groups that define this.
1) Premium
This group is 'bought'. Users are more then welcome to visit the account upgrades page:
http://www.offtopicz.net/account/upgrades to essentially as it says, upgrade your account. For a small fee which goes towards helping the site enhance and pay server bills, you will be upgraded to the premium account that gives you some extra benefits as a forum user. I was originally going to have this for free to allow users earn their way, however running a large forum such as this one does cost money! The Software license, themes, premium addons, not to mention server bills. We our gladly paying for all of this out of our own pockets.
With that said, for a better user experience, we do not even put advertisements up on the forum to help pay for this. This group is here to be the other option of advertisements. I hate them just as much as you do! For those of you who wish to help contribute in financial terms, this is one way to do so.

2) Valued Contributor:
Since I decided on having a paid premium subscription, I thought it would be fair to have a group for those that actually earn their extra features. So, similar to Premium, this group has most of the premium features but without the additional cost. This group will be for those users who have nothing but good contributions to the forum. Since I am a new person to the forum, I welcome anyone to nominate other users who you find have helped contribute to this forum and helped make the forum what it is today.

So, with all of this said, that concludes some of the recent changes that have been going on since I took over ownership. Again, as I have said so many times, if you have any suggestions to help improve the forum, I always welcome them and feedback.

Edit:
You can see our newsletter that got sent out here:
http://eepurl.com/OgoTn

Last edited by a moderator:
    Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

Natasha

La entrepierna de fuego
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,348.51z
So are people already assigned to the Premium Members group or are you looking for suggestions on where to start? I'm sure Fred has helped you out some, but if I can help, please let me know.

Jordan

I'm useless. I know.
Administrator
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,029.42z
So are people already assigned to the Premium Members group or are you looking for suggestions on where to start? I'm sure Fred has helped you out some, but if I can help, please let me know.
A couple who purchased the Premium group already.
However yes, would love to hear ones opinion on who deserves to be in the Valued Contributor group (Which replaces the old premium group)

porterjack

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.10z
i just signed up for premium

good value and in any event i want to support the forum, i have been here for a while and want to help it grow

thanks for improving this place Jordan

Dopie

Reaction score
Tokenz
18.00z
@Jordan , a node is a computer on a network! you're using it in the wrong context XD
where are you from btw?

i've noticed it sooo many times - you use node in the wrong context, hence i created that thread. sorry for that f up on my system my bad. for creating 2 almost identical threads xD

Jordan

I'm useless. I know.
Administrator
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,029.42z
@Jordan , a node is a computer on a network! you're using it in the wrong context XD
where are you from btw?

i've noticed it sooo many times - you use node in the wrong context, hence i created that thread. sorry for that f up on my system my bad. for creating 2 almost identical threads xD
You can see my reply about that here:
Jordan you're such a silly monster xD ;)

MMMMatilde

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
122.72z
I did like the rep system and am still warming to the liking thing, I got off of Facebook because a lot of that was just irritating. I do really like everything else though and maybe in a couple of months (preferably after our wedding when I have money again) I will donate :)

Dopie

Reaction score
Tokenz
18.00z
I did like the rep system and am still warming to the liking thing, I got off of Facebook because a lot of that was just irritating. I do really like everything else though and maybe in a couple of months (preferably after our wedding when I have money again) I will donate :)
The rep system is just a silly system. Considering it seems the staff don't even have tools to track multiple accounts. LOL..

I'm not talking regarding simply IP address; you do realize there are tools to trace one's physical location in regards to the details used during the purchase of a computer ,right?

Jordan

I'm useless. I know.
Administrator
Reaction score
Tokenz
1,029.42z
The rep system is just a silly system. Considering it seems the staff don't even have tools to track multiple accounts. LOL.
XenForo does have a system to check for multiple accounts. Moderators can not access it.

Dopie

Reaction score
Tokenz
18.00z
XenForo does have a system to check for multiple accounts. Moderators can not access it.
Read above.
I know xenforo can detect proxies and stufff, i'm speaking of a software that's not to do with the forum software you're on, it's multi-platform!

You can't find my accounts, Jordan. You said.xD

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
The rep system is just a silly system. Considering it seems the staff don't even have tools to track multiple accounts. LOL..

I'm not talking regarding simply IP address; you do realize there are tools to trace one's physical location in regards to the details used during the purchase of a computer ,right?
Which forum software is lacking in tools for multiple accounts.

As far as buying a new pc...yes a shipping address will give your location.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Dopie

Reaction score
Tokenz
18.00z
Which forum software is lacking in tools for multiple accounts.

As far as buying a new pc...yes a shipping address will give your location.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
yeah that's what I meant xD

I assumed this forum is lacking.
Yeah but what about buying a PC off ebay? It's unofficial - second-hand, so I'm not really sure xD That way it can be avoided, right?

i know who you are. lol

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
yeah that's what I meant xD

I assumed this forum is lacking.
Yeah but what about buying a PC off ebay? It's unofficial - second-hand, so I'm not really sure xD That way it can be avoided, right?

i know who you are. lol
It appears that you are very curious as to if it is lacking.
Its quite obvious you have a motivated interest in the sites tools.
Let me ask you this....Men not giving you enough attention?
Just asking.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Dopie

Reaction score
Tokenz
18.00z
It appears that you are very curious as to if it is lacking.
Its quite obvious you have a motivated interest in the sites tools.
Let me ask you this....Men not giving you enough attention?
Just asking.

Sent using Tapatalk 2
Look, okay,lol, I'm trying to get back onto sites I'm banned from, but it wasn't a lie cos I've never been banned from here *shuts AUfred and new owner up* sooo yeaaaaaaaaah...

Dopie

Reaction score
Tokenz
18.00z
T-Man, I already knew it's to do with the computer's billing address but I was curious about this site xD

Last edited by a moderator:

The Man

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
168.84z
T-Man, I already knew it's to do with the computer's billing address but I was curious whether this site had it or not cos if they don't, then I would actualy consider creating accounts to annoy the staff here ;P

Anonymity gives me a thrill, which is the reason I keep trying to get back onto your forum.
Public admission of thouhts of harassing staff and creating multiple accounts.
Your posts speak much of your character.
Let me ask you this....whats your beef with this site?
And is current staff in anyway related to it.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

MMMMatilde

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
122.72z
Public admission of thouhts of harassing staff and creating multiple accounts.
Your posts speak much of your character.
Let me ask you this....whats your beef with this site?
And is current staff in anyway related to it.

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Just a bored little boy/girl with a brave voice over the internet where no one can touch them. I imagine they're sitting at home, eating a tub of ice cream and pack of chips feeling sad and alone.

78,865Threads
2,185,202Messages
4,953Members
Back