Oh dear

Users who are viewing this thread

freakofnature

Vampire
Reaction score
Tokenz
3,009.28z
I was coming back to the show barn from the mare barn a couple of hours ago. As I was approaching the show barn I looked up and there was a deer standing just a short distance away from me, close to the barn. I stopped and we regarded each other for a minute. I started to walk towards it and it nonchalantly trotted off. It was standing between the shavings shed and the riding arena when I went into the barn. It seemed a bit odd that it didn't take off when it saw me coming but I didn't really think anything of it at the time.

About half an hour ago I had to go get a load of shavings and as I came around the corner of the barn I saw it still in the same spot between the shavings shed and the arena, except now it was sitting. It just sat there and looked at me so I decide to make a mad dash for my camera. When I came back it was still there so I took this picture.

deer001.png

Not the best picture due to poor lighting and lack of a tripod. :ninja Upon cropping the photo I realized why it was acting strange. It's injured. :( You can see some marks and blood on it here.

deer002.png

When I went closer it got up again and trotted off. I noticed then that one of its hind legs looked pretty bloody too and it probably can't run. :( I heard a pack of coyotes yipping in one of the pastures just before I saw it the first time so I suspect they got the poor thing but it managed to escape before they could finish it off. :(

Replies
    Views
    Participant count
    Participants list

freakofnature

Vampire
Reaction score
Tokenz
3,009.28z
Oh my gosh its beautiful. The poor thing, can't you call a vet or something?
I hate to sound harsh but for a wild animal they'd probably say let nature take its course. :( I don't think it can run but it's still mobile enough to be hard to catch. I'm not sure if they'd want to go through the trouble, especially in the middle of the night.

It's sitting in one of our empty paddocks behind the shavings shed now.

pjbleek

Reaction score
Tokenz
795.15z
nice pictures...but as unfortunate as winter is we forget about those animals who have to survive in the cold of it.

AUFred

WAR EAGLE!!!
Valued Contributor
Reaction score
Tokenz
2,397.55z
I noticed the blood before reading your description. Deer are resilient animals except where predators are prevalent.

pinkporridge

V.I.Pinkporridge
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
What a waste of money, I hope our taxes don't go into that.

they also remove animals from people who neglect them and also take strays off the street. if we didnt have them the place would be FULL of strays.

Also i think there charity funded

Zorak

The cake is a metaphor
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.01z
they also remove animals from people who neglect them and also take strays off the street. if we didnt have them the place would be FULL of strays.

Also i think there charity funded

I know they treat neglected animals and so forth, that's very important.

But I didn't know they went out and subverted nature's course.

pinkporridge

V.I.Pinkporridge
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.00z
they do if the injured animal is in a public place and is brought to their attention. Like in Zircs case they'd come out. They take in a lot of bids, owls and what not if they have been injured and they treat them and release them.

Dana

In Memoriam - RIP
Reaction score
Tokenz
0.17z
Totally different scenario but in relation to Pink's post, i also saw a show where an organization, i think it was in Florida went out and captured feral cats and spayed and neutered them so they wouldn't reproduce. Honestly, I think that with wild animals, you just need to let nature take it's course, however harsh that may seem. It's survival of the fittest and animals kill animals to eat and to control the growth in population.

HK

Reaction score
Tokenz
0.03z
It's not like we've done such an amazing job of leaving nature to take it's course that saving one animal will upset a delicate balance :rolleyes: we already disturb natural environments and make animals move aside for our purposes. I don't think it hurts to give a little back and stop some of them suffering.

78,866Threads
2,185,216Messages
4,953Members
Back